Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Mad Viking
Joined
·
2,046 Posts
I believe he would be scored as typical.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,624 Posts
Typically ugly is how you would score him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,166 Posts
That deer as some potential. I would let him walk and see what he looks like next year or the next.....if it is private land there is no way I am shooting him this year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brown Hornet said:
That deer as some potential. I would let him walk and see what he looks like next year or the next.....if it is private land there is no way I am shooting him this year.
You think so? He looks older than the other bucks I've got coming in, but I'm not the best at judging age, especially this time of year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,933 Posts
No doubt he would be scored as a 3x3 typical.....just has that one unusual tine on one side......would score less than 100"......I'd let him walk, myself, and see what he developes into as a fully-mature buck....:darkbeer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,403 Posts
I'd let him go another year for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,919 Posts
If he's a mature buck, I'd cull him out of the herd. He doesn't have overly good genetics. As far as scoring, he'll never make any P&Y or B&C book, but if you like him, he may make your memory book. Looks to have a fair sized body for a TX deer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,591 Posts
He can be scored as either, at your discretion. He won't score very high in either system. The first point on the right beam is nontypical, as it doesn't originate from the top of the main beam. He has no G1 on the right, which essentially removes the entire G1 from the left in the net score. In the net typical score, he will essentially score as a 4pt.

Best Regards,
Byron :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Byron said:
He can be scored as either, at your discretion. He won't score very high in either system. The first point on the right beam is nontypical, as it doesn't originate from the top of the main beam. He has no G1 on the right, which essentially removes the entire G1 from the left in the net score. In the net typical score, he will essentially score as a 4pt.

Best Regards,
Byron :)
That's what I thought.

I'm not so much interested in how much he scores, cause I know he won't do well, but I think the rack is so different that I would like to have him mounted anyway, if I was lucky enough to get him. And he looks like he's mature, or real close to it to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,634 Posts
i think a buck has to have somewhere around 11" of non-typical points to be counted as a NT:darkbeer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,591 Posts
danimal7802 said:
i think a buck has to have somewhere around 11" of non-typical points to be counted as a NT:darkbeer:
It's a common misconception that a buck has to have a certain amount of nontypical point length to "count" as a NT. The truth is, any (scoreable) buck can be counted as either TYP or NT, at the hunter's discretion. In either system, the base typical frame is scored, with normal deductions for asymmetry.

The difference comes in how the total length of abnormal points is used. For TYP, it is subtracted from the net typical base frame score. For NT, it is added to the net typical base frame score. Basically, 11" of abnormal points would amount to a 22" difference in score between TYP and NT.

Basically, it is up to the hunter to decide how he/she feels the buck is better represented. (i.e. scored vs. minimums or records) Clear as mud? :confused:

Link to P&Y TYP score sheet w/ instructions
Link to P&Y NT score sheet w/ instructions

Best Regards,
Byron :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,634 Posts
Byron said:
It's a common misconception that a buck has to have a certain amount of nontypical point length to "count" as a NT. The truth is, any (scoreable) buck can be counted as either TYP or NT, at the hunter's discretion. In either system, the base typical frame is scored, with normal deductions for asymmetry.

The difference comes in how the total length of abnormal points is used. For TYP, it is subtracted from the net typical base frame score. For NT, it is added to the net typical base frame score. Basically, 11" of abnormal points would amount to a 22" difference in score between TYP and NT.

Basically, it is up to the hunter to decide how he/she feels the buck is better represented. (i.e. scored vs. minimums or records) Clear as mud? :confused:

Link to P&Y TYP score sheet w/ instructions
Link to P&Y NT score sheet w/ instructions

Best Regards,
Byron :)
well thanks...that is clear as mud..haha....but i am going to keep that around to try and read and understand it again....thanks again:darkbeer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,591 Posts
Okay, here's what I'd guess for measurements and Gross and Net TYP and NT:

Base Typical Frame Measurements:

-------------Left----Right----Difference
Beams------18 0/8"--18 0/8"---0/8"
G1 (length)--11 0/8"---0/8"---11 0/8"
G2----------4 4/8"---4 4/8"---0/8"
H1 (mass)---4 2/8"---3 4/8"---6/8"
H2----------3 7/8"---3 4/8"---3/8"
H3----------1 6/8"---1 6/8"---0/8"
H4----------1 6/8"---1 6/8"---0/8"
Subtotals---45 1/8"--33 0/8"--12 1/8"

Spread: 15"

Abnormal Point: 6 4/8"

Gross TYP: 103 1/8" (Left + Right + Spread)
Net TYP: 84 4/8" (Gross TYP - Difference - Abnormal Points)

Gross NT: 109 5/8" (Gross TYP + Abnormal Points)
Net NT: 91 0/8" (Net TYP + Abnormal Points)

Hope my math is right! Does this help?

Best Regards,
Byron :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,305 Posts
Byron said:
It's a common misconception that a buck has to have a certain amount of nontypical point length to "count" as a NT. The truth is, any (scoreable) buck can be counted as either TYP or NT, at the hunter's discretion. In either system, the base typical frame is scored, with normal deductions for asymmetry.

The difference comes in how the total length of abnormal points is used. For TYP, it is subtracted from the net typical base frame score. For NT, it is added to the net typical base frame score. Basically, 11" of abnormal points would amount to a 22" difference in score between TYP and NT.

Basically, it is up to the hunter to decide how he/she feels the buck is better represented. (i.e. scored vs. minimums or records) Clear as mud? :confused:
Actually, Pope and Young just changed their rules on how an animal is entered. Your analogy is correct... that whatever the length of abnormals (say 11"), the deer will score double that difference (22") between typical and NT.

Pope and Young has now ruled that a deer (or other animal) MUST be entered into whatever category it scores higher in (above the minimum score). Since the difference between categories is 30"... they have now went back to the rule that a deer MUST have 15" of abnormals to be entered into the NT category. Deer with less than 15" MUSt be entered into the typical category. The hunter can no longer choose.

This change is immediate, according to the summer newsletter... from Glen Hisey, records chairman.

Kevin Chapman
P&Y Official Measurer
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top