Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the drought and heat going to effect October hunting where you are? What's your gameplan? Will you do anything different than before because of the drought?

We have been seeing lots of deer on the roadsides in SE OK. Many of the bucks have shed velvet already. Many very large racks being reported. How about where you are?

·
Registered
450 Posts
We've seen a ton of deer lately as well as a few good ones up north and in the NE. Early food plots and crops are not looking so good and no acorns really (ones that are there are really small). I plan on loading up the feeders starting this week. Normally they'd be going sooner but I don't have that kind of bankroll :wink:. My mineral sites seem to have been hit pretty hard & regular this year.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm 1 1/2 hours away from my lease... only been over there twice all summer. It's east of Durant and burned up down to the dirt. I'm afraid the knotty little acorns will wither up and fall rotten and empty. Deer are coming to a pond in the middle of the property, but I don't know what they're feeding on. Time won't allow me to put out any food plots, but they wouldn't go right now anyway. I've never hunted over bait, but I would consider putting out a feeder or two if necessary just to keep 'em in the area.

·
Registered
499 Posts
My place is NE (Grand Lake). Deer are hitting the feed piles hard! We believe that this year will produce some of the best early season bowhunting we've seen in a VERY long time!! Doesn't look like our acorns are going to make (very small meat). Don't really have an issue with water as we have ponds, 2 10 acre duck sloughs and of course the lake. We have greened back up nicely.

·
74,535 Posts
Going to be one of toughest years for food source for deer. My lease there hurting, trail cam pictures show some skinny deer.

I have been scouting weekly and what pee size acorns there are falling already and deer are on them.

There feeding hay to cattle already to give you an idea how dry it is.

Feeders and if you can get food plots planted you might have some good success. I know on my lease when the acorns dont do well we dont have the deer numbers. Bad thing corn at a all time high price. Should make for an interesting year.

Last few rains have help turn some grass green.
DB

DB

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've got two farms in Osage County and my partner just got back from hanging some stands. It's been brutally hot but the ponds provide water and we have about 125 acres of soybeans for the deer to munch on. We'll be back in early October for a bowhunt and hopefully I'll post pictures of me holding some horns!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Already been a weird pre-season for me. Don't have near the deer numbers on camera that I did this time last year. Hoping that changes. Several ponds on the property. Don't know what the acorns are doing. Got the feeder up and going to hope for some hungry deer.

·
74,535 Posts
I've got two farms in Osage County and my partner just got back from hanging some stands. It's been brutally hot but the ponds provide water and we have about 125 acres of soybeans for the deer to munch on. We'll be back in early October for a bowhunt and hopefully I'll post pictures of me holding some horns!
Your soybeans made this year? In NE, Ok. and are didnt make at hardly at all. Most the farmers are saying no beans as well.
DB

·
Registered
314 Posts
i'm 30 miles NE of Durant in a small small city. We've got everything brown to the dirt. Worried about the trees more and their health than I am over the past few days after seeing some pictures of deer. We've turned on our feeders earlier this year to help with it. I was told by a guy that is really into deer that as long as you have the fawns around then your deer heard is making it. We have 3 sets of twins and a group of triplets.

I think the acorn crop is way down this year. We're just going to mow some fields before it rains and hope that the grass grows green for them from here on out. I'm praying for the drought to end. It's tough on wildlife.

·
Registered
205 Posts
We have a couple really nice bucks that are out before dark. I think the lack of rain/food has the deer really moving more than normal during the day here. The deer are hammering the feeders all day long. The pics from the cameras have deer in there at all times during the day.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I will find saturday what it looks like. going to go up to the farm and trim some lanes put corn and rice bran out and see what we can see.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I will be hanging and moving stands this weekend near Coalgate. Part of the property is bordered by a lake, so the deer are traveling back and forth to that water source. Most of the ponds are dry or almost dry. I figure I will also get the feeders out. There just isn't much grazing or brouse for them. Not sure the acorns are going to help much, either.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Going to be one of toughest years for food source for deer. My lease there hurting, trail cam pictures show some skinny deer.

I have been scouting weekly and what pee size acorns there are falling already and deer are on them.

There feeding hay to cattle already to give you an idea how dry it is.

Feeders and if you can get food plots planted you might have some good success. I know on my lease when the acorns dont do well we dont have the deer numbers. Bad thing corn at a all time high price. Should make for an interesting year.

Last few rains have help turn some grass green.
DB

DB
Don't think the food plots are going to work, at least not where I hunt. (Near McAlester) No use in planting with no rain in sight.

·
Registered
485 Posts
We've been feeding since early June. We have some feeders in between 3 pretty good ponds on 500 acres. It's holding the deer and there are some good ones on camera. If we don't get rain within a couple of months, the ponds are going to be in trouble.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Where I hunt there is water ,,but, ever thing else is bad ...I have 1 feeder going but, work has been slow for me and really do not have the funds to buy a lot of corn...

I have been seeing a lot of deer beside the hwy driving at night ...they are on that mowed grass ...makes you a little nervous going 70mph

·
Registered
502 Posts
Still trying to narrow down a place to deer hunt, but I've got an Iowa tag, and a ticket to McAlister Army Plant so its not like I don't get to hunt.

Hopefully I can find a place to sit down and do some hunting... Preferably with water!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I hunt se Oklahoma an hour and half from durant. I've been seeing lots of deer driving around my lease but have not had any hitting my feeders. I do have bears at both feeders and have plenty of pics but no deer. There is a corner that was clear cut last year and it has some good new green patches since we have had a few showers the last couple of weeks. All the deer I'm seeing are around the clear cut area so I'm pretty sure I'm set up good.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Southeast Ok report... Well I usually plant on Labor Day weekend and due to the lack of rain over here in Daisy,Ok. I have decided to way till next weekend and pump some water in using a generator and water pump. It cant be dry to much longer I know we have gotten some much needed rain here in Talihina but have missed the rain where we needed it most.... on the food plots. Anyhow the leaves are already falling like its the 3rd week in Nov. on the mountain tops and my food plots that I tilled up the 2nd week of August haven't seen any rain since then. Deer are hitting the deep potiapa creek which still has water in it and funnels are leading right to them... so i reckon that i will put a few corn and mineral blocks up and see what is coming in.

·
Registered
308 Posts
On my lease near McAlester and the other in Pottowatomie County, we've got lots of deer, but they sure aren't moving much. We got the feeders spun up last week finally.

I'll be hunting some public land down around the Wa****a river. Found a few good crossings I'm going to set up on. They should be stopping at the river to drink before moving on to bedding.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
We got a 3" rain about a month ago and that's it. Things greened back up some. NE of here keeps getting lots of rain.

Acorns are thin and seem really small, but still green here that I've seen. Still waiting for a rain to plant plots, nothing in the 10 day forecast. I finally bought a couple of timer feeders. Can't afford to pile it, but they should be coming to them pretty good. Several good bucks on trail cam on the few corn piles I put out earlier. Most could use another year.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts