Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use the O'l man drone climber stand? whats your opinions? i can get one for under 200 new and wondering if it is worth it or if there are better options out there?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
New? If you don't buy it, let me know where you found that deal. I have an aluminum grand ol man stand that is great. Not as nice as my treewalker, but I use it on smaller diameter trees when that is my best option and it is very comfortable. I think the drone has a leveling system that would come in handy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just on ebay someone must have had a big supply of them or something. the one i saw has 86 sold and 80 something left. two people i know got them and have had no issues that i know of.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't have the drone but I have an older Ol' Man stand that is quite similar. I can say that the seat is fairly comfortable for long sits and it's nice that you sit up high enough to shoot without standing. They also fold up nice for packing in. The one thing I hate about the stand is the foot straps. Compared to my Summit with stirrups, those foot straps are a major pain to get in to, especially with winter boots on. Maybe they have changed it since mine though... and that is a minor complaint.

·
Huntoholic
2,036 Posts
I have used a Drone for several seasons and I love it, it is comfortable, quiet, folds flat for packing, and is light for it's size. My favorite thing is being able to adjust the stand level at height, this is especially handy if you change trees often. I do have a couple of recommendations for mods that have worked well for me, get the Thirdhand Archery climbing stand stabilizer straps and tree stand bow holder. The two straps, they come as a pair, will replace a absolute tangle of factory straps and are much easier and i believe much safer to use, the bow holder is very secure and requires very little movement to get your bow out and you can climb with your bow in the holder. Ol'Man stands, like so many other things now days, are made across the pond, but, they are distributed out of Jackson, MS and when I called with a question a real live English speaking person answered the phone.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
One complaint I've heard about it is that it squeezes you from the sides a bit on very small trees, due to the way it folds inward.
(Second-hand info, but you might want to check into that if you're a big guy hunting from small trees.)

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I have a grand ole man I bought in '98. Its heavy, but very quiet when climbing very comfy too.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I bought one last year and really like it. One of the things I like is that you have the option of a straight front bar, a bar that can be a foot rest or gun rest, or you can take the bar all the way off and have an open front stand. This is my second OL Man and like them a great deal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had one. I bought it loving the fact you could adjust the angle easily up the tree. Solid lock on the tree it wouldn't move. Very comfortable for all day sits. Easy to climb. I sold it for a few reasons. It was heavy. All my public land spots are 1 mile or more in and it got old carrying the weight in on warmer days. The arms on the seat are bent in so when you have a smaller tree the arms can be a bit uncomfortable. Setting up at the base of the tree seemed like a million steps. I liked to use the rifle rest flipped down for a foot rest and it was super noisy flipping it and clipping it back in. The small bar non rifle rest was fine though. I bought a Lone Wolf sit and Climb and have been using that and while its not perfect it suits me better. I am planning on buying a Treewalker though, minus the adjustability it has all the good things in a drone that I like plus its way lighter. Hope this helps!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts