Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Bear Kodiac bow that was my dad's. The last time it was used was about 35 years ago, and it has been sitting in a closet, unstung, for all that time. It looks to be in good shape. I even have the origional string. Does anyone know if I can get a new string for it? is it a bad idea to restring it? it looks to be in great shape, but being old, I would not want to break it. The sereal # is very legible on it. Is there a way to tell when it was made? Is it worth anything?

Thanks,

Terry

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Your bow is perfectly safe to shoot as long as there are no cracks in the limbs and they are not warped. Those old Bear recurves can be worth quite a bit of money and they are still great shooters. I recently spent nearly $200 on a mid 60's model Kodiak Hunter for my son that was in near mint condition and shot amazingly for him. New strings would need to be made for it and it is probably not "fast flight" safe so be careful to get dacron strings for it.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Pic's of it and the serial # would be a great way to identify it. As long as it's in good shape with no delaminations or cracks,it should be good to string up and shoot. I have a few old Bear bows...a '59 Grizzly,a '55 Polar,a '72 Super Kodiak and a '71 Grizzly that I shoot regularly. Will also need the bow length to determine proper string length

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bow lenth is 60 inches, and the poundage is 39. serial # is DT337 There are no delaminatios or cracks. Thank you all for that info.Not sure if it is ab "A" above the sereal number or a #

Terry

·
Ring******
574 Posts
I have an early 70's Bear Kodiak Special. I bought it new almost 40 years ago and still shoot it. You can get the right string for it from 3Rivers Archery on line.

·
Registered
50,374 Posts
Probably not worth a ton money wise, sentimental ya. They have been made for many, many years and are still made today. Probably ok to shoot it, not much poundage so the chance of breaking it is very, very slim. Get a new string and have fun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the info. Yes, I would never sell it, since it was my dad's. Is there a way to find a year it was made? What kind of arrow should I shoot with it?

Terry

·
Registered
50,374 Posts
Thanks everyone for the info. Yes, I would never sell it, since it was my dad's. Is there a way to find a year it was made? What kind of arrow should I shoot with it?

Terry
Terry the year is guess only because they have been made for so many years. As far as arrow???? It's a process to find the proper one for it, experiment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts