Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Black Widow target bow with 2 sets of limbs. Color: off-white. I can't find markings on the riser, but both limbs show 1225 on them. They are 36# and 42# at 28" respectively, 69". Limb serial numbers are 3990 for the 42#, and 3593 for the 36# limbs. I purchased this bow back around 1980, and shot it quite a bit back then. I know it had been used quite a bit when I bought it.

I was going to try to get back into some shooting, but was hoping to set it up right. Can anyone help me with some basic specifications? Specifically, the recommended brace height.

I've been reading Viper 1 and dchan's stuff, as well as many stickies - learning a lot.

Thank you,

Dave

·
Phoenix, AZ
2,034 Posts
Depends on the length, but you are probably safe to follow the Hoyt Brace Height recommendations from the late 90's or so. Then experiment with various heights until you get a smooth, quiet shooting bow.

ILF Brace Height.jpg

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I have an old Black Widow target bow with 2 sets of limbs. Color: off-white. I can't find markings on the riser, but both limbs show 1225 on them. They are 36# and 42# at 28" respectively, 69".

I was going to try to get back into some shooting, but was hoping to set it up right. Can anyone help me with some basic specifications? Specifically, the recommended brace height.

Thank you,

Dave
You can email Black Widow Bows with the request. The new owners have all of the original construction records. I have one of their older wood bows and I was told that the Wilson Brothers tended towards higher brace heights. They should be able to tell you when the limbs were made with the serial numbers.

TAO

·
Lowered expectations
17,096 Posts
I had several 1225s back in the '70s. I am pretty sure the BH on the 69" should be in the 9 to 9 1/4" range.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,249 Posts
I was given an old Black Widow bow a few years back. I emailed the company and they responded with the recommended brace height and the original ship date of the bow. They were quick and helpful. You should look them up and send them an email.

·
Registered
20,768 Posts
Ski -

I have BW 1225s in both 69" target (35#, braced about 9.5") and 64" hunting (approx. 45#, braced about 8") versions.
Bob's listing are probably decent to work with, but when those bows were new, brace heights were all over the map.
Really tall brace heights were very popular with the indoor crowd, since the theory was it would be more forgiving - it usually worked.

Understand that brace height on any bow is a function of bow design, arrows being used, other tuning parameters and the shooter.

Anything specific you need to know about them?

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Viper1.

I'll hold off on further questions until I run out of search parameters on the forum. That may take a while.

I've been out of regular shooting for about 20 years, and have to re-learn much of what i understood then. After that, I need to learn the lessons out there that I didn't know, and those that have been developed since.

I need to clean out my case, remember what half the stuff in there is for, and start working on the muscles and form. I already have re-learned that my 36# limbs are really sensitive to upper/lower finger pressure....

Finding a regular place to shoot (prefereably 18m indoors) in SE michigan (South Lyon area) that doesn't take me as long to get to as it does for the shooting session itself, is also a priority.

Dave

·
Registered
20,768 Posts
Dave -

The two ranges I use are 30 and 45 minute drives, so a lot of us have to deal with that.

The early BWs had fairy narrow limbs and that did make them sensitive to any kind of torque and frankly a little slow in the lighter weights.
My 35# 1225 needs an arrow about one spine lower than expected.

Welcome back.

Viper1 out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts