Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I need some clarification on something that my Mathews dealer is telling me. A week ago last Friday (8/29/03) I had a Mathews dealer order a new cam for me. He told me that when he called Mathews about my new cam, that he was informed that it was in-stock and could be shipped out immediately. He (Mathews dealer) told me my cam would be there by mid week of last week. Never showed.

I called again today, still no show. So, dealer called Mathews. Today the story is, that it hasn't even been shipped yet. This is Mathew's busiest time of year, and accessory orders fall behind new bow orders. Is this typical of Mathews customer service? Or has my dealer dropped the ball?

·
Registered
20,288 Posts
GBA -

No personal experience, but the guy at my ranges pro-shop echoed the same. "Small" orders from Mathews, and in all fairness, others are, well .. .slow.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Sounds right

I hear that complaint frequently

It think it just poor customer relations

my two cents...........:(

·
Extreme Opinionated One
43,700 Posts
All bow companies I've seen do the same thing. Their first priority is fullfilling orders for new bows. Service part orders are second priority. Why? It's just dollars and sense. They order cams, limbs and other parts weeks in advance to get them to the factory floor in time to make a complete bow. This they can roughly plan for and they gear up for thousands of bows being made at a time. This is their bread and butter. Thousands upon thousands of orders for complete bows.

Now you want new cams for your old bow. That throws a monkey wrench into things. They didn't plan for your order. It wouldn't really pay them to. They get percentage wise very few orders for new cams for old bows so they don't plan for this kind of order to any large degree cause if they did they would get stuck with alot of parts they can't use next year. Stocking too many extra old parts is finacially risky.

Also if someone else ordered a bow that needs the same cam as yours which sale will they make more money on? Your order for just cams or the profit from selling a whole new bow? Selling the new bow of course.

This explaination wont make you happy or anything or change things for you but it's just business and that ALWAYS come down to $$$$$$$.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Punchmaster is right.. and this is an archery company's
busiest time of year.. so that adds to your frustration...
but still , mathews has poor customer service when
compared to companies like pse and martin.. these two are
the cream of the crop...I like mathews bows but will
probably not buy another one any time soon for this
specific reason....I feel a company is only as good
as it's customer service...

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Good service

Martin PSE & PArker alloffer good fast service

Parker willfill & ship all new bow orders in 24 hours and most parts as well

They plan ahead and order enough of everythings so they can build and ship ina day or two

I heard Hoyt makes some parts in Asia and thus the long long wait for parts and bows

May not be true but a Hoyt rep told me that;)

·
Registered
321 Posts
I know Hoyt does contract out their cams.
\Some are made here in my town. I could be incorrect but I think the anodizing is done here too.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Well you guys are sort of right about the difficulty in predicting demand but that's why we use sales histories to predict demand. Poor parts service is demonstrative of poor logistical planning and a poor understanding of the importance of customer retention. If a customer is inconvenienced or unable to use his/her product when intended there will negative consequenses for the seller/manufacturer. I think the service attitude of some archery manufacturers when it comes to parts & service is an outright joke. Waiting 6 weeks for modules, cable guards, limbs etc. isn't acceptable - the company MIGHT gain in the short run but the long run IS a lost future sale and in most cases a lost customer Forever! Quality, service & commitment to customers sells bows NOT ads & sales people!

·
Banned
6,017 Posts
Too bad they do that but that is the problem I had a few years ago...Mathews takes your money locks you into a high dollar piece of equipment (which you will never be able to sell for close what you paid) and then when you need support for it you are screwed because your parts order is not big enough for them to fool with...this is why mathews sucks in my opinion, and this is exactly why i stop shooting them...my z max is still hanging in the closet waiting for limbs that will never come...

mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here's some first hand information concerning Mathew's customer service. Thursday night a customer comes into the shop with the lower limb on his Ultra Max de-laminated. He's going elk hunting on Saturday. Big problem! I called Mathew's on Friday, they sent a new set of limbs (that's right Tink, 2 limbs!) overnight, Saturday delivery. On the road to his hunting spot by noon. Plus a very satisfied Mathew's customer.

We've had no problems getting cams from Mathew's, we also have most sizes in stock. GlowbugAng, what model and size do you need?

Steven

·
Registered
33,384 Posts
mATHEWS FINALLY CAUGHT-- BY THEIR REPUTATION!

I guess Mathews learned they can't keep screwing their customers and get away with it. Maybe all this talk on AT has actually made them sit up on their high horse and take notice. One thing is fact-- Mathews sure has a lot of broken limbs on their bows. Talked to the largest Mathews dealer in Michigan and they've replaced over 30 pairs this year already. Most of the bows coming in are two-three years old. They figure the failure rate is about 10% on limbs and 25% on bottom cables. The thing "catching" Mathews is their reputation for poor quality and poor service.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Mathews, Inc. customer service

I know for a fact that Mathews will not ship anything less than a certain dollar amount, ($150.00 minimum), without also charging the dealer an additional fee for a small order!!!

I know this because I too have ordered single cams, replacement cams, etc. from them through my local dealer, and he is caught in the middle,...he must pass this additional fee along to the customer or wait until he has a large enough order to include the "little order" with,...that way he can kill two birds w/ one stone,...avoid the "small order fee" and save on shipping costs.

I agree with the other guys on here,...granted that may be just business, but in my opinion, very poor business practices.

In comparison I had to order a single cam from BowTech, (not to rundown Mathews' quality or compare/contrast quality of product---we're talking about customer service), but the folks at BowTech had that cam to me via my local BowTech dealer pronto. AND, there was NO ADDITIONAL fee or cost for "small order" for their inconvenience...they were ready, it seemed, and it didn't catch them off guard.

Jusy my .02 cents worth,...based on personal experience.

bowtinkerer :cool:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
"Mathews takes your money locks you into a high dollar piece of equipment (which you will never be able to sell for close what you paid)"

What other bow companies bow will retain more value than Mathews? I've watched 1-2 year old Mathews bring more than I can buy them for new on Ebay for years. Try to sell any other brand I've noticed and you're lucky to get 1/2 of the original cost.

I agree this deal is aggravating, but as has been stated it's just business.

As far as limb failures, Mathews has more limb failures than some companies, but they also have more bows out there than most. Kinda like more people having trouble a Chevy or a Honda.

JMHO

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
NOT TRUE

PSE sell far more bows then Mathews Mathews may gross more $$$ but ATA says PSE is Number One in bow sales

PSE doest have many limb failures any more

IMHO

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Great 2 limbs

Maybe the Bow Companies are getting feedback form th e Internet

Glad the elk hunter was servied in a professional manner.....

Regarddignthe rash of limb failers form oen company......
Its all over other internet sites as well

·
Registered
829 Posts
big up for bow tech

hey guys
I had two draw length modules sent to me by bowtech 3 days to the UK
hows that for service:p

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's here!

Okay.... maybe Mathews had redeemed themselves a bit for me. I got my new cam today. Tomorrow will be a full 2 weeks since it was ordered. I guess I really can't complain about a 2 week cycle from order to delivery. While I would have like to have believed what I was told originally - that I would have had it in just a matter of days - two weeks really ain't that bad. If I ordered something from QVC wouldn't I wait up to 6 weeks possibly??? LOL

Anyway, thanks for all the responses that I got from you.

Ang

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
24 Hours at Martin & Parker

Martin & Parker ship parts out in 24 hours

Mathews with the minimum order screws the dealers and jacks up prices No wonder dealer wotn order till they have several items

Bad Bad management thinking................

seem they only care about bottom line....not the customers

they will learn sooner or later

:(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts