Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the latest set of pics off of my Leaf River cameras, and there is a doe on several images that is colored like none I've ever seen...........anybody have any ideas ??

·
Registered
838 Posts
I saw one just like that the other day in my back yard, the one doe- was for lack of a better term - grey compared to a buckskin one just like the photo

BOOM goes the dynomite :cocktail:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Not a albino, we had a few of those around here a few years back. My uncle got one that was a true albino, pink eyes and everything, creepy. My dad got on that was mixed, white with brown patches on it, brown eyes. Thanks goodness they all got killed out.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Piebald

I would call that more of a piebald deer. Although it could be a albino, I guess? if it has the pink eyes it's just an ugly albino. I had a piebald around me, but she had dark eyes, she was snow white. Pretty cool looking.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know....I don't figure it's an albino, but maybe a partial ?? And as far as Piebalds go, don't they normally have every distinct white patches ?? or can they be blended like a roan colored horse ??

·
Registered
245 Posts
Great pic! I've been watching a 5+ year old whitetail buck that thas those same type of colorings. Its almost grey colored but it looks almost pure white on the back quarters. He's got an absolutely huge body but his rack I believe is on its way down. We've nicknamed him '******'. This deer looks almost identical to doe you have in your pic.... amazing. I don't think its an albino and I don't know really how to explain it. Maybe have to contact a biologist and ask them about the situation. That Leaf River looks works pretty good.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Old doe?

Is that a mineral lick they are at? Im going out today to set up my camera on a trail i picked out while hiking last week , Nice photos..... :thumbs_up

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Albino means lack of pigment and that deer looks to have plenty of pigment. No white hooves and no pink nose or eyes that I can see. It obviously has color other than white on it's body. It's definately not an albino.
I'd have to identify that deer as a piebald.
Deer don't turn gray when they get old. It is a great looking coat, I'd love to have that pelt!

It's piebald!

Jon

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know what a full blown albino is supposed to look like...but I have seen part albino critters like Pheasant, Fox and Racoon.....they had definite areas of white or lack of pigment, where color was supposed to be present.....and all of that was without pink noses, eyes, etc......

But I agree.....i don't think this is any kind of albino, even partial........I'm leaning towards piebald also, but I always assumed piebald deer had definite white areas like a paint horse......not integrated hairs like this doe....she really reminds me of a roan colored horse.....

Jon....you'd love to have that pelt also, eh ?!?! I just happen to have a doe tag.......I'm gonna try like heck to fill it on her..... :smile:

·
Registered
357 Posts
i got a little fork horned 4 point that looks just like that. he's real gray

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
quote-Deer don't turn gray when they get old.

Huh???

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Tronjo said:
quote-Deer don't turn gray when they get old.

Huh???

Just tell me when you've seen a deer that is gray from old age. A friend of mine has a captive deer that she's had since his mother was hit by a car and he popped out, that deer is 14.5yrs old right now and he is brown just like any other deer I've ever seen. His muzzle is gray a little but not his coat.

Have you seen an old deer that was all gray? Please show me pictures because either I've taken one too many hits of the crack pipe or you have.

Jon

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
You are right, old deer get grey in the face, somewhat in there coat, but not like the deer in the picture. I have no idea why that deer is so grey.

·
Registered
833 Posts
here is an all white one my buddy took a pic of down southern KY last year

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts