Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:I'm 55. Been shooting right handed for years. But my eyes have reached to point where I'm trying all sorts of ways to hit the spot. I'm seriously thinking of swithching to a lefty bow. I really hate cuz I have a great Katera XL. Has anyone made the switch successfully and how long did it take?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
is it because of left eye dominance or has your right eye just lost vision? if it's only dominance than learn to shoot with your left eye just squinted slightly. changing from righty to lefty is a major task for alot of guy's..

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I have seen a guy use an eye patch as soon as he decided it was a deer he wanted to take. I have been thinking of trying that. I know that I have shot at a deer with both eyes open and missed way left so now I have to remind myself to close my left eye. Funny, we were just talking about this yesterday at the range. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am left handed and right eye dominant, i made the switch last year from lefty to righty, it took some gettin used too, but i lowered the draw weight and shot everyday for a couple of months, and now i would hate to think of trying to shoot left handed again. Accuracy has also improved being able to keep both eyes open and see the target clearer. The toughest part was getting up 20 feet and feeling comfortable drawing back and bending to make the shot, but after killing the first deer with new setup added tons of confidence. Good luck

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I made the switch from Right to Left 4 years ago. I went with a forgiving bow (Switchback LD) to ease the transition. I'm now shooting a Commander keeping with the longer BH and ATA. It was a bit strange for the first few weeks but I shot daily and all is well. Now it feels strange to pick up a Right hand bow.

I'm Right handed but Left eye dominant. I shot instinctively for years prior to switching. I do miss shooting instinctive but not missing so many deer.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
I made the switch from right-handed to left-handed due to an eye dominance issue. It only took me 2 weeks of shooting lefty to reach the same level of shooting as when I was shooting right-handed. It actually helped me surpass my shooting ability as I didn't start with any bad habits and knew what they were:thumb:

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
My brother switched after he was in his 30's and it was the best thing he ever did for his shooting. I had been after him since he was a teenager to shoot left-handed. After missing several bucks, he just had to figure it out for himself.

Dan

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks folks. That helps a lot. Think I'll look into switching to a LH bow after this season. Maybe there's hope for me yet:wink: Y'all have a great season. Woody

·
Registered
28 Posts
I switched from right to left handed earlier this year at 57 years old. Shot right handed since 1981 even thought left eye dominant. I have no idea why I started out that way. But, I was shooting better left handed FIRST day! No need to wait til after season if it works for you. Try a LH and see before buying one though. Good Luck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the same problem, left eye dominant and right handed. Years ago I switched to a recurve from shooting a compound right handed. In order to shoot instinctively I switched to left handed. Surprisingly it took me only about two weeks to feel comfortable. I now continue to shoot a compound right handed and a stick bow left handed. I stayed with the right hand compound because I feel a little stronger shooting right handed. I suspect most folks would not have serious problems making a switch although they might have to drop poundage a little.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I switched from right to left handed earlier this year at 57 years old. Shot right handed since 1981 even thought left eye dominant. I have no idea why I started out that way. But, I was shooting better left handed FIRST day! No need to wait til after season if it works for you. Try a LH and see before buying one though. Good Luck.
Thanks hoosierboy. If it were up to me I'd do be checking out LH bows tomorrow. But my wife may frown upon that after the money in my rig now. But I'll definitely stop by my proshop and see if a LH is even an option. Maybe a trade is possible. Thanks much for the input...glad to know it is possible.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Before you do anything try the hindsight, it eliminates the need for a peep and speeds your bow up. I am left eye dominate and shoot right handed the hindsight worked wonders for me.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Specialty Archery Peep Clarifier

Several of my friends were having a hard time seeing their pins due to aging eyes and they started using these. The peep has a lens that clears up the sight picture, kinda like reading glasses for bowhunters. If you cant see the pins because of blurry vision, this peep may help you also.

·
Banned
9,743 Posts
I made the switch about 3 years ago...shot both ways...was stronger on my right side...finally I just gave up and went left handed...lowered the poundage from 70 to 60...and really it was no big deal for me...in 2 weeks I didn't know the difference and was back up to 70...other than I could shoot more comfortable...and alot better.
Forget about using your left eye to shoot right handed...waste of time IMO.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Lost sight in my right eye, had no choice to but to switch.

I did so do to an eye issue, It took me three weeks of practice and determination not to give up the sport. I think your success will come once you make up your mind this is what you need to do or not.... Determination will be your final part of the puzzle. One thing I do from time to time is set my stand for right handed shots. so I have to change everything once i find out I cant draw with my left hand. Or have branches in my way. Good luck.. I wish you much success...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To all who gave me much needed advice...I thank you. This is a great place to learn and be a part of. I did try the Hindsight Eclipse for a while last year. I just couldn't get comfortable with it. It works for many folks and is a quality product it just didn't work for me. I'm now using the No-Peep by Timberline. Took a while to set up but I like it very much. It works for me. Just can't get my Octane sight far enough left to use my left eye. Even if I go with a LH bow I'm gonna keep my no peep. I will keep you up to date about my progress and/or decision. Thanks again. Woody

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm left eye dominant but still shoot right handed. I shot a left handed bow for a couple years, but never hunted with it. I never really felt comfortable with it. I opted to just go back to closing my left eye when I shoot. I'm so used to it, its automatic

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Several of my friends were having a hard time seeing their pins due to aging eyes and they started using these. The peep has a lens that clears up the sight picture, kinda like reading glasses for bowhunters. If you cant see the pins because of blurry vision, this peep may help you also.
" If " you would go this route , dont get a clarifier , they are to be used with scopes , what you want is a verifier , like stated works like reading glasses

wife switched from righty to lefty @ age 47 , took her about 5 months to shoot a 300 southpaw , she was in the 290s after about 6 weeks , her biggest problem was loading the bow , not shooting it

·
Registered
969 Posts
I agree with "bonehed67"

If you are in fact "right eye dominant," making a switch to your left eye because it is less blurry, won't really help for long. It will never really be as good going to your left eye, if you are in fact right eye dominant. It will probably also follow suit in a matter of a few months to a year that your left eye also becomes blurry at low light conditions.

The problem as we age is that our eyes tend to "dry out" and we are no longer running 20/20 and reading glasses are required about 40 years of age (I didn't believe our flight surgeons back when I was 20 something, and, darn I wish they were not correct!) About 10 to 15 years after that, there are usually issues with low light and precise eyesight within 5 feet.

Is there a difference between seeing your pin(s) during "high-noon great light," and the "reduced light" in the morning and before sunset? If you can see during high light conditions, then switching is probably not "a help." If there is a problem with the low light only, then switching may not work long term, and may actually result in just an exercise in aggravation!

I agree with "bonehed67", and try that peep style first; or I would see your Ophthalmologist, and explain the issue to him/her. It may be all you need is some minor corrective glasses for hunting in low light conditions.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
First of all i am right handed left-eye dominant guy that is shooting left handed bows

I started out this way because i didn't want to face this dilemma in my life, so i started off following my eye dominance, so take what i say as an opinion, because that is all it really is.

The reason I started with lefty bow is because of 2 local shop owners. Both of them shot right handed for many many years (at least 10 if i remember correctly) The one even shot quite a few tournaments back when he shot right-handed (doesn't now due to lack of time)

Both of them said within 3 weeks of switching to left-handed (again due to being left-eye dominant) they were shooting better left-handed then they ever did right handed. So i said you know what i will just start out shooting to the best of my ability instead of having to always close an eye, or do something funky that the right handed, left-eye dominant righty shooters due (right left right gets kind of confusing!:wink:)

So in short. Switch, you will be glad you did. Best part about lefties is that used equipment is sometimes pretty cheap (on the same token resale value is lower)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts