Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor/farmer is red tagging again this year. (early season for doe only, deer damge control- authorized by the game commission) Sure messes up archery season for a few weeks. I was at the farm Tuesday night to visit, and heard a shot(rifle). I knew the man that was hunting, and figured he had one down. I took the four wheeler and helped him. Now, for the injury. The doe had a hole in its ear. Close to the base. Ragged aroung the edges, and the size of a nickle, all healed. I assume it was a rifle shot from a year or so before. Made for easy access to tag it. Would be interesting to know how/when it happened. Last year, i witnessed a doe that had a 4inch stick slightly bigger than a pencil imbedded in her back. It ran towards her neck and was completely healed over, with a scar on the hide. No spoilage. We found it while processing. What have you seen similar?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I shot a doe one time with a 12 gauge slug, at the time all I could see was her head. It left a hole exactly like you are describing. The difference was that after leaving the ear it removed a large portion of her head. Had her head not been directly behind her ear (where heads are often located) I believ it would have left a very similar wound.

·
Registered
184 Posts
About 15 or so years ago, I took a head on shot at a buck and although I trailed extensively, I never recovered the him. That was early in my hunting years or I wouldn't have taken the shot. Anyway, two years after that, I was hunting the same area and about 300 yards from the original spot, I shot a real nice buck. Upon skinning, I found a 5 blade broadhead scar through the neck and down the back. (the deer I lost was shot with a razorback 5). I don't know if it was the same deer or not but I assume it was.
Last year while caping a bull for a friend, I found a broadhead in behind the eyeball. It was completely healed and there was no indication on the outside but I doubt the bull could see out of that eye.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I skinned a deer 10 or so years ago while working for a friends processing business that had a broadhead embedded in it's skull behind it's ear. It was a healed over for the most part and it was killed with a shotgun.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Last year I shot a heavy 8 with my 30-06...come to find out it was the same 8 pointer that I hit in the pelvic 2 years earlier with my bow (damn limb)! Well, he's on the wall with my thunderhead 125 hanging around his neck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts