Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy gave me a long bow he had in his basement. it dosent have any markings on it. my question is can i get a string for it and who can look at it to see if my pre teen daughter can shoot it. i will get a pic on here tommrow. thanks

·
Registered
750 Posts
ksmrf.....even after you post the pics it will be hard to tell much about the bow....someone may be able to tell you who made the bow....but as far as what the draw weight is....it'll have to be strung and put on a set of scales....it can be measured for a new string....which can be ordered or someone here at AT may be able to make you one....the bow's draw weight will probably be the determining factor as to whether or not your daughter will be able to shoot it...do you have a archery shop near you??...Steve

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If my rememberer is working right....

generally speaking, a longbow string is 3" shorter than the length of the bow. I agree with Steve about getting some help with having it weighed after it's strung to help you determine whether you can have your youngster draw/shoot it.

·
Registered
38,292 Posts
If I had to take a WAG, I'd say the bow is likely to be too heavy for a pre-teen girl. I've run across a few old long bows and none of the ones I've seen were especially light draws. Not saying yours isn't, but odds are against it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the info guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts