Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought a dozen new arrows and was kind of surprised to see that the older ones consistantly have 1" more penetration into a bag target at 20 yards than the new ones - I mean 12 out of 12 shots. These are suppose to basically be the same arrows - any idea why the difference? The new ones do fly better and are more accuurate though. :confused2:

2 year old arrows:
  • Gold Tip 5575 Hunter carbons 27.5"

New arrows:
  • Gold Tip Expedition Hunter 5575 carbons 27.5" (direct replacement for the Hunter model)
Both with 4" feathers 3 degrees offset right shooting the same 100 grain field-tip. Inserts appear to be the same but I believe the nocks may be different.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
the older gold tips are heavier, therefore they will penetrate deeper....i think generally speeking they are going to be 1 to 1.5 grains heavier than the new shafts

aaron

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bustin 12's said:
the older gold tips are heavier, therefore they will penetrate deeper....i think generally speeking they are going to be 1 to 1.5 grains heavier than the new shafts

aaron
Your right - according to the spec.'s the older ones are a little heavier. So, I ASSume that since the new ones are lighter I picked up a little speed but lost some penetration power which could be offset with the right broadhead.

Sound right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts