Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone hunts with older bows, if so what made you shoot an older bow? For me I just don't feel the need for something really expensive. What about you guys? Any older bow kill pics?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I'd a older bow feels better to you shoot it . The argument of older is cheaper is invalid . If you buy a used older bow 90% of the time it needs a little work . So Now Your Out Close To Probably 300 . Lots of nice main line bows out there set up for about that . Not a Thang wrong shooting older tho . Done it more than once

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm still shooting a 2006 Tribute though I don't really consider it old. I've shot newer bows since but I can't justify buying a new compound to replace it. Instead I spent the money and purchased a recurve a few years ago.

·
Registered
14,064 Posts
Reezen... I never buy into the new bow hype, it's a waste of money to me.

·
Strictly Public Land
12,305 Posts
What is considered an "older" bow.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
a 5 year old bow is not particularly obsolete, most have at least 75% let off and 330+ ibo

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just got into bow hunting. A buddy I work with sold me on old pse usa spirit bow that I've been using. Anyone here know how old it is? I plan on using that until a take a couple deer.

pse.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,974 Posts
Still loving my Drenalin from 2008. I own several bows older than that, but don't hunt with them. Next bow I buy will be 50-60 since shoulder issues have led to decreased strength in my bowshoulder. The newer bows with 85% let-off really help us old guys.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I shoot my 30 year old High Country Supreme then my 2005 Mathews LX and its a big difference. Shoot my 2011 Hoyt and its a stupid crazy difference. LOL

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Hunted this season with a 2010 GT500, I don't really consider it old tho. I recently re - acquired the first bow I killed a deer with. Which is a PSE fire flight in trebark camo. I believe purchased in 1990-91. I'm looking forward to setting that bow back up and taking it out again.

·
Registered
800 Posts
My "new" bow is a 2002 Mathews Q2 but I shoot it well and it puts nice holes in things. My "old" bow is the first bow I ever bought, a 1987 PSE Gamesport. Nicknamed the boat anchor because it weighs a ton, I have killed a deer with it each of the last three years shooting fat aluminums with feathers. I recently picked up a Bear Grizzly recurve but I need some more practice before I will hunt with it.

·
3%er
3,635 Posts
My go to bow is my '09 GT 500. Not that old and its not going anywhere for a long time!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I shoot a bear element and a recurve and love them! No need to spend a fortune to shoot well and harvest deer.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
2010 Hoyt Maxxis 35 here. Planning on having it at least another season as it is my first bow. Not much for speed but shoots pretty sweet for me.

·
TreeRatNation Lead Rat
6,859 Posts
2008 X Force PSE,plenty fast , plenty smooth , kills plenty of animals. Had a 2005 Switchback that I wish I had not sold. I will never own a new bow at the prices they are now days.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
06 Tribute is still my favorite. I've owned newer, faster, prettier but nothing has shot as well as one of these bad boys for me.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts