Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shooting archery for several years and my sister has expressed interest in getting into archery. She's 16, but girls on our side of the family don't get much taller after 15-16. She's 5'3" and should have a draw length somewhere around 25". She can draw around 35lb right now. I just found work after being unemployed for several months, so my budget is really tight, but I'm desperate to get her set up. Y'all ladies have any suggestions on which bows you've enjoyed?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
494 Posts
We started my wife with a bear apprentice. Very adjustable, there are alot of entry level adjustable bows that are available used in the $150ish price range to let her know if she is into it. If she wants to hunt she will want a high end bow, but her draw weight will increase as she shoots as well, so get her shooting and learing on something used first.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My wife is hunting for the first time with a bow this year. We bought her a golden eagle off of craigslist for $80, ready to shoot and including 6 carbon arrows in good shape. It’s easily adjusted and has been a great bow so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
Find her a used PSE Chaos, great starter bow and inexpensive. The "one size fits all" and slower and have a spongy back wall. My wife started with one and was killing the 12 rings on the 3D course. find her some 600 spine GT velocity arrows (get the cheap ones and cut an equal amount off of both ends)

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Find her a used PSE Chaos, great starter bow and inexpensive. The "one size fits all" and slower and have a spongy back wall. My wife started with one and was killing the 12 rings on the 3D course. find her some 600 spine GT velocity arrows (get the cheap ones and cut an equal amount off of both ends)
My daughter started with one of these. It is now her hunting bow. She shoots an Elite Victory for competition.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
adjustable easy draw bow to start I took my stepson to a pse shop n came out with a mission hype DXT--I am impressed==Inexpensive but a smooth draw--adjustable from 30-7- n quiet--for the price awesome--

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey! I was about to write a review on my new bow when I saw your post. I've got a Diamond Prism and I'm really happy with it so far. I was looking at the PSE stinger when I came across the Prism and as soon as I felt how light it was- the deal was sealed. The draw weight is adjustable from 5-55lbs and can be adjusted for draw length also (I think it's a 10" window of adjustment- but look it up cuz I'm not sure).
I've spent almost every day at the range since I got it 4 weeks ago. My pros and cons for this bow:
PRO: VERY lightweight- easy for me to carry when out on the trail, came stock with a whisker biscuit and scope, comes in cammo, black, or some other more flashy colors, I've had great groupings at 20/30 yards so far and haven't bothered to add a stabilizer, Very quiet compared to my husband's hoyt (although I have the weight set much lower). Easy to adjust draw weight. Really affordable. Mine was only 299$
Con: Not happy with the 3pin scope it comes with- found that the screws were easy to strip
Good luck with your sis. I'm sure she'll be happy with whatever you get her!

·
Registered
12 Posts
My sister uses this too and she's petite, maybe about 5'2. Works good for her!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I shoot a Mission Craze by Mathews. It's got a draw length from 19" to 30" and draw weight from 15# to 70#. Its super adjustable and only 28" axle to axle so it's a relatively small bow. And since it is an older model bow you can tend to find them pretty cheap new and even cheaper second hand.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Agreed on the Diamond Prizm. I bought one for my daughter and she really like it. It is fully adjustable and will last until she wants something else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts