Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I'm new to archery and new to this forum. I've been reading lots of the threads here and you guys really seem to know what you're doing. I'm going to buy my first bow soon and I can't decide between 2 that are in my price range. I'm looking at an older (2007) but well maintained Switchback XT and a brand new Mission ballistic. Both bows get great reviews but the SBXT seems to have a cult following and is on a lot of short lists of the all time greatest bows. The ballistic also gets great reviews and has the added benefit of being brand new. The Ballistic is also about a $100 more. I'm interested to hear what folks with a lot more experience think about this dilemma. Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Southpaw
667 Posts
Have you tried either bow? When I decided to start shooting compound I went to my local shop. They are a Mathews dealer and had a Mission Riot and a Chill X in left hand. I tried both and really wanted to buy the Chill but the Mission was more my price range. I stewed for a bit and ended up with a Chill that I found here in the classifieds. The Mission was fine but for me the Chill was better.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I'e go with the SBXT. That's a great bow and timeless in terms of shootability. As long as it's your draw length go for it. Mathews bows are draw length specific so if isn't your draw length you would need to get the right cam for it. I'm sure you could find one for it here. But just be aware of the inconvenience.

·
Anti Fanboy
41,832 Posts
Before you purchase either one of those bows I strongly recommend you go and shoot both, if you haven't already done so. Only you can determine which one you like best.

However, there are some other aspects that I highly recommend you adhere to.

For starters, if you purchase any used Mathews bow you must understand the it will not come with a warranty. Yes Mathews keeps parts for all their bows, but you will pay for them plus labor.

There's a few other Manufacturers out there that offers a transferable warranty on their bows. Elite, Athens, and I think New Breed. So unless the older bows that you're looking at are new, I would pass on them.

Another thing I suggest you look at is the axle to axle length. Many short ATA bows are, or can be, easily torqued and are not very forgiving of form errors. That can be very frustrating esp to a new shooter. It would behoove you to look into a bow with a longer ATA.

Good luck.

Skeet.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,523 Posts
Off the top of my head I'd be very hesitant to buy an '07 Switchback over many more current bows! The Ballistic is a two cam bow and will blow the Switchback out of the water as far as "performance". You can shoot the Ballistic as a much lower draw weight than the Switchback and still get better performance. At the same draw weight the Switchback will definitely "feel" easier to draw because it is. Set both bows to the same "feel" (forget draw weight!) and the Ballistic will be faster. The Switchback was know to be slow but have a pleasant draw cycle very much like Mathews current No Cam bows. If higher draw weight is more important than actual performance then the Switchback is a good choice because you will most likely be more comfortable shooting a higher draw weight on it than the Ballistic.

A super performing bow that does not break the bank is the PSE BowMadness 34 or 32! I don't know anyone that wasn't happy with the BM34 though I am sure there are some that were not.

·
Registered
361 Posts
you must shoot them as you are the one that will live with your choice.as stated above look into some more as there are other manufacturers that have warranties an have bows in your price range. good luck

·
Registered
898 Posts
As many said above, you need to shoot both bows. Personally, the switchback is no doubt one of mathews -or any company- best bow ever made. The SXT was proven and still today have their values.

·
Registered
296 Posts
one bow for you to try is the pse drive,500 new probably find 2015 even cheaper now with new ones coming out.Cant say enough good things about it,everything you could ever want in a hunting bow

·
Socket Man
23,145 Posts
Don't get the switchback, it is beyond slow and it has the old matthews shelf and sight window area that is very limited for space. It was good for its time but that time a gone, sure there are guys that still like it but there are so many out there that are so much better that it just isn't a option anymore. Even my brothers 2007 drenalin is a better choice than a old switchback.

My suggestion to you is to get a bow with rotating modules so that you can change draw length easily, pse and bowtech and I believe hoyt all offer bows in this category and when you are a beginner being able to change the draw length is a big deal. With the old matthews you have to buy a 80 dollar cam specific to the draw length.

·
Mark
5,216 Posts
if your new to shooting a bow I would not recommend to start out with a real fast bow as most have a very short brace height, more aggressive cams and can be more more difficult to get good at if your a beginner. Start with a new $400-$500 bow but I think the most important thing is to get it set up by a good quality shop so they can help you in choosing the bow, proper draw length and such.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
I personally had and hated the sbxt myself, like said already it was slower than slow and it shot decent not great at 20yds but out past that it shot like crap you could definately tell it was a short bow. I have had alot of bows (probably 50or so) and it was one of the worst in my opinion. Besides that your talking 2007 compared to 2015-16 bows are way better today!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would go towards middle of road new bow.just me.look at some of the bear,pse, and g5 bows.generally they are the last few years of their technology and just soldcheaper.bear traxx or any of the pse bows would be a great choice

·
Socket Man
23,145 Posts
My buddy Jason shot a elite pure for a couple seasons in 3d and I tell you what it is a sweet shooting bow, they can be bought for next to nothing since elite came out with their new stuff. I am a bowtech shooter and there are a bunch of them that shoot really well, they do have limb flaking issues though, but when you are looking for a good deal on a good shooting bow that brings the price down.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
If you are going to spend your money on a used bow I would look at elite they will still have a full lifetime warranty, mathews,bowtech,pse and hoyt won't!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have the mission blaze. It is very similar to the Chill R but much less. My brother has the switchback xt. I started looking at bows and wanted the ballistic, but after shooting the blaze it just felt better because it was bigger and I have a 30" draw length so it felt better.

My brother's xt is set at 29.5. He has had it since new. This summer he had new strings put on it, and replaced the wisker biscuit with a QAD HDX. I work much closer to bow shop than he does so I picked it up for him and since I had it I took it outback to see how it shot compared to mine. Both bows are set to 65 pounds. I didn't notice much difference in shootability between them. What I noticed was mine shoots at 295fps and his is down in the 260s. This was with my arrows that 430 grains. It is a good bow, but for the same amount of money I would rather have more power.

I have shot 4 deer with mine and all four were pass through shots. His buck he shot last year didn't pass through and we had a hard time tracking it.

·
Bowhemian
8,293 Posts
I buy bows like I buy cars. Nice and Old. Padgett is probably right about the Switchback, but I love mine!
Good analogy.

I have a 1995 Cadillac Sedan DeVille which is in 95% mint condition with 76k honest miles on the clock. Not a scratch or dent on it, garaged, beautiful hunter green paint, ivory interior, leather seats, everything works and the car runs like new. Because of its age the Blue Book value is around $2,000. I've been offered $5,000 for it. But if I sell it there is nothing I could buy for less than $20,000 that would compare in terms of comfort and pleasure.

I also have a 2004 Merlin SuperNova target bow which I paid $850 for but wouldn't sell for $1,000. Because I've had four different bows since getting the Merlin, all of which were expensive, top-shelf bows, none of which fit me as well as the Merlin, every one of which I've sold in the Classifieds. Bottom line is it's cost me a lot of money to learn that a bow's birth-date is its least important consideration.

So if you have a bow that you like, that feels good in your hand, and that you shoot well with, don't think a more current model bow will make you shoot better. Because it probably won't.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts