Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I am new to the sport and have read that there are over 75 different divisions here in colorado to compete in. Age, equipment, etc. Does anyone have a list of regulations for the different types of competitions? and more specifically, what are the olympic bow regulations. Same with arrows. What is typically accepted and at what point is your arrow to large in diameter?

Thanks for your help.

SB

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,142 Posts
Here is the FITA target rule book. It defines the equipment in the Olympic classes and compound.

http://www.worldarchery.org/UserFiles/Document/FITA website/05 Rules/01 C&R Book/Book 2010/2010_Book2_NEW.pdf

This is book three for indoor archery.

http://www.worldarchery.org/UserFiles/Document/FITA website/05 Rules/01 C&R Book/Book 2010/2010_Book3_NEW.pdf

This is book 4 for field and 3D. Barebow is defined in this book. There is no official barebow designation in FITA target archery, though it is often contested.The equipment rules are taken from the field rules.

http://old.archery.org/UserFiles/Document/FITA website/05 Rules/01 C&R Book/Book_2012/EN-Book4.pdf

This is only FITA (Olympic governing body). There is also NFAA, IBO, IFAA, and many others.

·
Registered
20,337 Posts
sb -

I'm afraid it's worse than that.
Each organization (IBO, NFAA, StateFAAs, FITA, ABC, XYZ, 1x10^9, etc) has their own rules for the different classes, and some clubs follow the rules more closely than others.

Since you're new to this, the best and safest bet, would be going to the club or range where you plan to shoot, and ask them.
That way when you show up on match day, you won't get an automatic D/Q or be stuck shooting in a class you don't really belong in, due to a local technicality.

Olympic recurve is fairly straight forward.
Single string, no release devices, or levels/peep sights or lenses in the sight.
Max arrow diameter is 9MM IIRC, or a 2315.) A little fuzzy on that, since Oly shooters generally don't use anything that fat for outdoor work.

If you are specifically into Oly recurve, the FITA forum, may be more helpful.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Between the two of these I think I got was I was looking for. Thanks for the quick replies. I'll probably start with some indoor stuff and see how I like it then learn from there. The local range is full of heavy hitters so I'll see if they have any insight into the best place to start.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Viper1 - does that mean if i were to buy 2315 i should be good to use them almost everyone in a competition setting…if i wanted?

·
Registered
20,337 Posts
sb -

While technically legal, and certainly usable for indoor work, I don't think you'd want them outdoors over extended distances.

Next would be tuning. Most Oly rigs used by experienced shooters are in the mid 40# range, and you'd have to go to extremes in length and head weight to even get close with 2315s (0.340" spine/deflection).

The nice thing is that a perfect tune really isn't required to clean the target at 20 yds/ 18M.
For real outdoor Olympic style shooting (70, 50, 30 meters - the 90 meter target seems to be getting phased out), with even moderate skill, you'd be at a disadvantage compared to guys using skinny carbons/composites.

I start people off with aluminum, as closely matched as possible, when they reach a certain score (around a 270) in the blue 20 yd target, we start with outdoor work.
There, the next usual stop are Carbon Ones and after that, budgets permitting, ACEs.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love this place. Everyone is so helpful. Still waiting on my book, but I'm excited for that to arrive. Anyway back to arrows, would the Easton XX75 Platinum Plus be a decent place to start? They have great reviews on lancaster and are a decent price…if so what shaft size should I begin with for indoor.

SB

·
Registered
20,337 Posts
sb -

Kinda depends on your MEASURED draw length and native (as marked) draw weight.
But yes, the P+ shafts are super.
The only time you would "move up" to an X7, is if the size you want isn't available in the P+.
The X7's do have slightly tighter tolerances, but for close range, not enough of a difference to matter.

edit: If your DL can tolerate a 29" arrow, you're looking for a 1716, as a first pass.

Viper1 out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts