Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in NW Arkansas, at least in one spot I hunt that I know of, we have the biggest crop of Red Oak acorns this season that I can remember in recent past. Not seeing many White's but you can skate on reds. I cut a bout a half a dozen open and they are all good. I hear that Red Oaks produce just every few years. True? I know whites usually fall first but not in this spot.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
yep reds don't produce every year. When they do you might get too many.

hunting gets tuff as the deer don't have to move much to find food.

good luck. I still find reds on the ground rotten from past years cause the deer couldn't eat them all.

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
Bees said:
yep reds don't produce every year. When they do you might get too many.

hunting gets tuff as the deer don't have to move much to find food.

good luck. I still find reds on the ground rotten from past years cause the deer couldn't eat them all.
that's what i see .dose anyone know if a deer will even eat the reds?

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
white oak acorns are more sweet, whereas red oak acorns are bitter, only in dire circumstances will deer eat the bitter ones.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I just assumed deer ate red. If they don't, theres awhole lot of food for squirrells and turks.
Not seeing many white acorns if any on the ground yet here.

·
NC ASA Director
35,983 Posts
Deer will eat the white ones first, they prefer them,

but they will eat the red ones too if they don't rot before they get to them.

There is a bumper crop of white oak acorns at my place. The deer have stopped moving. :cry:

·
Registered
154 Posts
sagecreek said:
Deer will eat the white ones first, they prefer them,

but they will eat the red ones too if they don't rot before they get to them.

There is a bumper crop of white oak acorns at my place. The deer have stopped moving. :cry:

I'm with you!!! We hunt out past Roanoke Rapids and there are so many white acorns. I don't think I've ever seen a crop this large. I did hang my stand in a white oak tree on a ridge overlooking a creek...so hopefully it'll work out!!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just did a little research. It seems all of the sites concerning deer food say they eat White and Red acorns, beech nuts and hickory nuts. They will eat white first then red. Oh well.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
goatranch said:
Just did a little research. It seems all of the sites concerning deer food say they eat White and Red acorns, beech nuts and hickory nuts. They will eat white first then red. Oh well.

seems to be an echo in here.:darkbeer: :)

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
preyquester said:
that's all good to know.i see so meny reds lying around i figured they were worm food....
most might be, when we had lots of red acorns on the ground we had little deer movement. and a lot of those red arcorns are still on the ground rotten now, but still there.
don't know if the deer left the woods looking for a favorite food or just didn't move because they had enough reds where they were.

·
I am nobody.........
8,659 Posts
I have seen deer tear up beechnuts, absolutely destroy white oak acorns, and at times hit a red oak acorn if nothing else is available.........but I have never seen a deer eat a hickory.........how can they get a hickory open to get to the inside fruit?

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
reylamb said:
I have seen deer tear up beechnuts, absolutely destroy white oak acorns, and at times hit a red oak acorn if nothing else is available.........but I have never seen a deer eat a hickory.........how can they get a hickory open to get to the inside fruit?
now i saw this, the deer ate squirrel cuttings ,cleaned the place up.........:darkbeer:

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
reylamb said:
Maybe all those times we think we hear a squirrel cracking a nut, its a whitetail eating Hickory Nuts.:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Deer movement has been subdued here by the white oaks falling as well. Its time to get in the timber boys......(and gals)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts