Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a tough time finding good hunting boots. I need wide widths, and want leather bottoms (preferably all leather) and a fairly soft, flat, flexible sole that provides good ground feel and stability for stillhunting. Rubber duck boots like Bean's don't give the stability I want.

Locally, most stores carry Rocky's and Wolverine's which aren't wide enough for me...or they carry clodhoppers that would have me sounding like a freight train moving through the woods. At last I've found a couple of pairs that seem to fit the bill to replace the worn out things I've been wearing; Danner Pronghorns and Irish Setter Pointers. Irish Setter makes insulated Wingshooters that I haven't been able to try as well. (Amazing, especially for Danner, that they all come in 10EE, and the boot lasts don't form witch-toe shapes!)

Does anyone wear these boots who can tell me their opinions of them and how well they hold up?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Danner

Danner all the way!
6 years on the same pair and sole is just maybe getting close for replacement. But the leather is awesome.
Made in the U.S.A in Portland, OR.
And EE sizing is great for us duckfooted people.
I'll be getting another pair of Danners but not because the others are wore out, just want a lighter weight for fall and spring hunting. My others are winter hunters with 600grm thinsulate or something like that and a gore-tex liner, nice.
U.S. Military likes them too.
Have fun

Out for now

·
Registered
726 Posts
Think you have problems ?
I were a 10 1/2 EEEE, any thing less and my feet hurt. The only boot I could find ( short of very expensive custom ) was Cabelas "Outfitters" and it's a very good boot. Kinda heavy, but great support, very waterproof, and they were like iron.
Of the boots you mentioned, I'd go with the Danner, I wish they made em in EEEE.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I know you did'nt ask about these but "Rocky Cornstalkers" are the most comfortable boot I've ever wore.....;)Might want to look at them to.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Danner!

I bought a pair of Danners about 10 years ago and they are still going! Resoled 'em once and they are ready for it again. They have elk hunted in Idaho, Salmon fished in Alaska, Pheasant hunted In Illinois, Hog hunted in Texas, climbed Mount Fuji twice and tromped through more 3D courses than I care to count!
If this pair ever wears out, I will gladly shell out another handfull of hard earned and buy another pair.

·
74,535 Posts
If money no object

Danner makes one great boot. They do have chepaer version out now also.

·
Registered
94 Posts
DANNER BOOTS ALL THE WAY I LOVE'EM! THEY FLAT HOLDUP AND ARE SOFT ENOUGH AFTER YOU PUT THE DRESSING ON EM THEY GET EVEN BETTER!!!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have the Pronghorn 800's. They are awesome. I might forget about rubber boots all together. I see your from Pa--The best place I found for them was the Consumer Direct Sports located at the Grove City Outlets. Mine are 10EE and are awesome. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I have 5 pairs of Danners. I have the Acadia, Olympics and 1 pair of the Ft. Lewis. I will not wear anything but Danner. They are AWESOME! Once you break them in (takes about 8 hours) They are like wearing slippers. Most comfortable boot made. And I have worn just about every major boot made.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have Rocky
Worlverine
and
Danner
The Danners are about 10 years old and still going strong.
The Danner are my favorate boots. I would recommend Danner from Cabela's and sent them back it they don't suit your needs.

G

·
Danner all the way!

Have tried about 10 different kinds of Irish Setter Boots and 2 pair of Danner's. I threw out all my Irish Setter's and kept the Danner's. They last longer and are way more comfortable. I normally wear a 12E and their regular width 12D's fit me perfect. I believe they are already cut a little wide so you might not need the double E, see if you can find someone who stocks them and you can try them on.

Bowcop is correct give them about 8 hours of good break in and you'll never want to wear anything else!

Andy

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I have a pair of Irish Setter boots that I bought when I was 16 and am now 65. These boots have been in the field all over North America and the only fault I have with then is they are getting too soft, like well worn slippers. I did have to have the Vibrum soles replaced but the only other maintenance was cleaning and Sno-coat. I don't use them for bow hunting Whitetale (use rubber for odor control) but have used them for everything else. The Vibrum soles (lug type) grip even shale on steep slopes very well.
Haven't tried other leather boots so could not give a comparison.

·
Registered
382 Posts
It looks like the Danner boots are pretty popular. Seeing that, I really like my Irish Setter boots. A few years ago, I started switching over to better quality boots. I started looking at boots in the $120-$160 range. Last year I ran into a pair of Irish Setters for $75, regular price $140. Had to buy them at that price. I love 'em! Lighweight, warm for their weight(not bought for a cold weather boot, but I could wear them even when the temp was down in the low 30's or so), and as comfortable as running shoes(maybe more comfortable). I got them for a great price, but I think they're worth the $140 anyway.

I've never worn Danner boots before. Maybe they make a better boot then Irish Setter. Even if Danner is better, Irish Setter isn't bad at all.

peashooter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts