Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one ever take there truglo tritium apart to change the fiber optic? looks like it would be easy to do but i dont know if that would let the tritium gas out or not?

thanks for any info
insatiable

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was thinking the little cylinder would hole the gass but that there would be a glass cover on the inside that the fiber would butt up to causing the light to shine in the fiber optic. but i dont know it the fiber is glued on or not.

i'd like to change the fiber that came with it with some i got from fritzfiber, they seem naturally brighter.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
i have never seen/used/had anything to do with these pins in person. i have seen them, and was curious how they work...$20 for a pin seems high unless there is something really special about it.. so could anyone let me in on how they work, and how well lit they are/stay

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
When I lay my bow down on the ground and climb up a tree before daylight I can see my tritium pin on my bow from 20' up.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
it radio active!!!

The trituim pin is radio active material!!! That one reason you cant get them anymore... with homeland security being as it is, they cant import it anymore!!!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
thumperX said:
The trituim pin is radio active material!!! That one reason you cant get them anymore... with homeland security being as it is, they cant import it anymore!!!

It is radioactive and is along the same lines as night sights found on some hand guns. However it has not been banned by the government as Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop's still sale them. Plus TruGlo still lists the pins on their website.

·
Registered
727 Posts
bowhuntin_KS said:
i have never seen/used/had anything to do with these pins in person. i have seen them, and was curious how they work...$20 for a pin seems high unless there is something really special about it.. so could anyone let me in on how they work, and how well lit they are/stay
Tritium pins only glow in dark conditions. Say you are hunting in the afternoon, you will have just a regular pin but as the dark creeps in you will start getting a brighter and brighter light--just the opposite of fiberoptic pins.

I like tritium pins but they have a tendency to work too well, blinding the sight window at last light. I now, and probably forever, shoot a Trophy Ridge pendulum and unless they come up with a way to replace the pins I will be using a fiberoptic pin.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have used them for years, they work great. Not sure if I would try to take one apart though.

I have never had a problem with them being too bright, for me they are perfect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts