Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today after my morning hunt, I went to check another place, and see if the acorns were dropping there. This location is about 100-150 yards from the property line. As I was walking in, which I go in just on my side of the property line, I noticed a corn pile and a tree stand with in 10-20 yards on the other side of the property line. As I looked, staying on my side, I noticed numerous deer sign going to his corn pile from a bedding area on my side of the line.

It's just me, but I do not like to hunt the property lines, I guess more out of respect then anything. I also know that he is on his side; however, it seems the deer are coming from a bedding area on my side.

So my question, would you try to intercept the deer, or just leave them along? I know that there was a decent buck in the area, but I have not gotten a picture of him in a while, and I was going to try to hunt him.

· Registered
2,477 Posts
I don't like hunting property lines, but in that case, I'd go into intercept mode ;)

· Banned
182 Posts
get some deer spray that keeps them away and spray his pile... or the fence line... or just make your own pile on your side to keep them on your side

· Registered
212 Posts

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
I also would hunt closer to the bedding area cause most of the time they wont get to that feeder til after dark.

· Registered
916 Posts
First of all make sure baiting is legal. Even though it's not on the property you are hunting you don't want to get caught hunting the bait pile even if it's on the other property! But yes I would hunt the fence line if baiting is legal. I wouldn't even think twice about it!!!!!!

· Registered
2,862 Posts
seems neighbors on both sides of me love hunting property lines, I can barely even hunt some of my property b/c in doing so I'm messing up their hunts. Is baiting legal down there? If not call warden. If it is legit set up something on the property line that deer will see and not want to go that way. Maybe a stand with a dummy in it that is very noticeable.

· Registered
10,765 Posts
I have built an ugly big 12 ft ladder stand that weighs about 150# from 2x4s and I use it just for this .I will put it up about 10 yards on my side of the fence and Make sure they see it and know they are cut off! It works like a charm they almost always leave and do not come back.

But I had one guys stay right there so I just hunted that stand about 3 days in a row one weekend in early season .Sure enough guess who shows up one evening .Yip the hunter so we sat 20 yards apart all evening .Occasionaly I would wave and smile like an idiot. He finaly broke the silence and ask me if I would move so he could hunt,I said heck no I liked it there .Then he says something about this was rediculous or something.So I say I plan on hunting here all year it has a great trail then I pointed at it and said see!!!

well he told me that my evening hunt was over ,called me a name. I thought this was it we were going to throw down but began takeing down his stand and was throwing it and banging it around.

After he left I lauged under my breath .But I felt a little bad after he left because I had done what I hte to no end and became a fence setter .But I no longer have anymore issues with other just crowding over and shooting over the property line any more.

Good luck with your fence sitter as well thay are actualy just guys who are game pirates and usually not always though put little or nothing back into the area they usually are takers and that is all .No work or effort but to put up a stand next to a peicew of land that has been worked and herd that is managed.

Now flame away this is just the way I feel about it and no I will not change my mind either!:wink:

I still can't beleive it worked but it really did.:)

· Do it in style!
2,319 Posts
no one owns the deer and its his property, so I say let it be. If there is another place that I would rather hunt on the property I would hunt there if not then I would probably hunt along the fence.

remember folks, peoples land does not end 200 yards from the fence they own all the way. :)

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Guess I'd try and get as close to the bedding area as I could get away with,most old bucks won't be on a pile during daylight anyway so depends on what you hunt for. If I wanted to wack a few does then hit the line and use his pile to you're advantage.:darkbeer: Goodluck.

· Registered
2,171 Posts
intercept and send him a thank you letter with a pic of the deer and maybe a "bag of corn"....:wink::tongue:

· Registered
10,765 Posts
no one owns the deer and its his property, :)
Actualy that part is only true in ceirtain states .In my home state they do belong to the people of the state ofd Indiana not the state !!! It reads that way because the state wanted zero liability for deer related accidents .So in this state if they are on your land they are your deer .When they cross to the next guy they are thier deer that is just how it is here .As well as other states.

People forget that the laws are differnt in almost every state concerning hunting and the game there.Have a nice hunting season.:)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.