Archery Talk Forum banner

Once again, between 2 bows...

763 Views 22 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  bowpro34
I know, i have been back and forth between different bows here recently but anyways...

I have narrowed it down to the following 2 bows for sure... both bowtechs, Sentinel and Brigadier. I am having trouble choosing between the two. ill tell you a bit about what i normally shoot for events.

In the summer i shoot a lot of outdoor stuff: 3d, field, whatever. Shooting outdoors is defanetly my favorite and normally practice out to 100+ yards, or try to at least. I am a 27" draw and shoot about 58# outdoors. I would like a bow that is quick enough so i can still shoot out to 100+ yards, but i would also like a very stable bow. I like the speed of the Sentinel and the specs seem like it will be fairly stable. Now on the other hand, i like the Brigadiers specs as far as ata and brace go, maybe a touch long, and wished it was a little faster. I currently shoot a 08 constitution which is 41" ata and 8 something brace height. i never got a chance to shoot that out to 100 this past summer (busy working). I shoot the constitution fairly well, but just feel the bow is maybe just a bit big (ata length) for me.

Can anyone help me out to sway my opinion one way or another? Ive shot the captian and constitution, which is the closest i could get to the bows at this point. It is hard to tell though without loading both bows up and taking them for a month or more to see which one is better for me.

thanks for the help
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here are the specs on the two bows...

Sentinel:
7" brace
36 3/4" ATA
24.5-30.5" draw
317-325 fps IBO

Brigadier:
8" brace
40" ATA
25-30" draw
307-315 fps

constitution is similar at:
8.change" brace
41" ata
27-31?" draw
around 315 fps IBO

· Lefty Shooter
1,511 Posts
Ethan,

Either of those bows would suit you well. I have shot the Sentinel and it shoots well. My draw length is 27.5 and my bow of choice is the Mathews Conquest 4. The longer bow is more stable and forgiving than the shorter bow. My C4 is IBO rated at 310 fps, so either one of those bows should give you ample speed. Remember a slow hit is better than a fast miss. I would always go with a more forgivng bow over speed when it comes to 3-D and target archery.

· Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ethan,

Either of those bows would suit you well. I have shot the Sentinel and it shoots well. My draw length is 27.5 and my bow of choice is the Mathews Conquest 4. The longer bow is more stable and forgiving than the shorter bow. My C4 is IBO rated at 310 fps, so either one of those bows should give you ample speed. Remember a slow hit is better than a fast miss. I would always go with a more forgivng bow over speed when it comes to 3-D and target archery.
alrite, thanks for your input. I have shot the C4 as well, but just didnt like the cams on it (mini-max). i see what you are saying though. one reason why i was lookin at the sentinel is for a little more speed so i could easily reach 100 yds.

· Lefty Shooter
1,511 Posts
Evan with the slower bow you should be able to reach 100 yards just have to set sight for that far. 10 to 15 fps is not going to make that much difference out that far. It takes quite a bit of speed to make a difference in your sight.

· Registered
9,658 Posts
Brigadier would be similar, no?

I would get the Sentinel. Reasons why?

1. The Brigadier is pretty much the same as the Constitution, is it not?
2. If the Constitution feels too long for your 27" draw, won't the Brigadier feel the same way?
3. The Sentinel is shorter ATA and would feel better if the other bows feel too long.

I like 38-40" ATA, but I have a 29.5" draw, so it feels right to me. Getting the right feel keeps you relaxed and comfortable. It should help your shooting, IMHO.

· Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would get the Sentinel. Reasons why?

1. The Brigadier is pretty much the same as the Constitution, is it not?
2. If the Constitution feels too long for your 27" draw, won't the Brigadier feel the same way?
3. The Sentinel is shorter ATA and would feel better if the other bows feel too long.

I like 38-40" ATA, but I have a 29.5" draw, so it feels right to me. Getting the right feel keeps you relaxed and comfortable. It should help your shooting, IMHO.
1. yeah its pretty much the same
2. probably, but i shoot the bow well, just feels long
3. might have to try it

thanks so far, anyone else?

· Registered
802 Posts
I shoot a Constitution for indoor and for field and an 82nd for 3D. That being said, I definately shoot the Cons. better. I haven't shot the Sentinel yet so I can't comment on that. If you are looking for field bow you will have a hard time improving on what you have. My advise (the little that it's worth)............ Keep the Conny--set it up for field. Buy a Sentinal and set it up for speed, looks like a foam killer!!

· Registered
3,044 Posts
I have the Sentinel and love it. I have a Constitution and love it.

I didn't get to shoot, but did draw the Brigadier a lot while working the ATA show this year.

I prefer the draw cycle of the Sentinel. It just feels smoother to me.

I actually like the draw cycle of my Constitution better then the Brigadier. Not saying it's bad- it isn't. Just not my favorite.

If your Connie feels long, so will the Brig- it's the same riser with a machined cutout for the cable guard (plus different cams).

Sentinel is my choice- hard to beat it.

· Transplant from Dakota
1,656 Posts
You might want to check out one of Crackers Declaration III's. Roughly 40.5" ata and 6.5" brace, plenty long and stable, yet really fast at your draw length. Just my opinion. Good luck. Of the two you have listed tho, I would go with the Sentinal probably. It should be very stable with the center pivot and you will probably get more speed than the Brig.

Bill

· Registered
438 Posts
Not to throw in a monkey wrench, but have you shot the Elite XLR? I had the pleasure of shooting one this evening and WOW, I really like this bow. As I am in the process of looking for a shop shooter position, I have my choice between a Bowtech or a Matthews, but after tonight I am going to see if there is an Elite dealer in the area as well.

If I am not mistaken... the designer of the Elite bows used to work for Bowtech and then branched off. It would definitely be the right decision to just get out there and shoot one.

Again... Just my opinion. :wink:

· Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not to throw in a monkey wrench, but have you shot the Elite XLR? I had the pleasure of shooting one this evening and WOW, I really like this bow. As I am in the process of looking for a shop shooter position, I have my choice between a Bowtech or a Matthews, but after tonight I am going to see if there is an Elite dealer in the area as well.

If I am not mistaken... the designer of the Elite bows used to work for Bowtech and then branched off. It would definitely be the right decision to just get out there and shoot one.

Again... Just my opinion. :wink:
i am a shop shooter for a bowtech and mathews dealer in my area. i have decided on a bowtech. thanks though

· Registered
438 Posts
Not a problem as I did not know... Good luck in your decision and let me know what you decide.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.