Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost the use of my left arm 3 years ago and I miss bowhunting badly. I currently have a crossbow permit & this will be my 4th season using the crossbow. Now, not that I don't like using it, and it's all I have to hunt with now & I have taken several deer w/ my one arm, but I wanna shoot the compound again. I have seen a guy on TV once that had a paralyzed arm like I do & he made an attachment so that he holds & releases the bow string w/ his mouth. Is anyone familiar w/ this setup or has anything else in mind?

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
I lost the use of my left arm 3 years ago and I miss bowhunting badly. I currently have a crossbow permit & this will be my 4th season using the crossbow. Now, not that I don't like using it, and it's all I have to hunt with now & I have taken several deer w/ my one arm, but I wanna shoot the compound again. I have seen a guy on TV once that had a paralyzed arm like I do & he made an attachment so that he holds & releases the bow string w/ his mouth. Is anyone familiar w/ this setup or has anything else in mind?
PM OA3D on here. He shoots with one arm, and I'm sure he can help you out.

Ben

·
Born To Hunt
6,118 Posts
Draw Lock

Google Draw Lock, there is a hunting show where a guy has lost his arm and he shoots one of these and does real well with it, the bow can be drawn by putting your foot on a spot on the riser and then something holds the string back , and he fires it with his mouth.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btWA5hVpNiQ

watch this video..

the guys name is Kevin Evans, he is also missing his left arm, lost it in a oilfield accident..

Man can this guy shoot!!! He is going to the bejieng this summer..

He is on Mathews Pro-Staff..

I dont know if he is on this site...

maybe contact mathews and see if you can get in touch with him that way...pm me and maybe i can track an email adress down for you...

good luck!!

·
Born To Hunt
6,118 Posts
Draw-Loc

Draw-Loc is what you want to Google, Hickory Creek Archery, I dont know what the show is that has these, I cant remember, but if you get on their web site I am sure they can answer ant questions, and fix you up with a bow you can use, good luck.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I was talking with a guy and he said he shot with someone with one arm. He said the person had a leather strap around the string that he bit with his teeth to pull it back with.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Kevin Evans is shooting Canadian Nationals this week and then heading to Beijing for the paraolympics. If your intested in getting in touch with him send me a pm and I'll give you his contact information (email or phone)

Kevins great to deal with and will give you all the information you need in order to have a harness made. He has been using these very successfully for many years winning several major events.

Kevin Brayford

·
Registered
23,306 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btWA5hVpNiQ

watch this video..

the guys name is Kevin Evans, he is also missing his left arm, lost it in a oilfield accident..

Man can this guy shoot!!! He is going to the bejieng this summer..

He is on Mathews Pro-Staff..

I dont know if he is on this site...

maybe contact mathews and see if you can get in touch with him that way...pm me and maybe i can track an email adress down for you...

good luck!!
Holy cow that guy can shoot!

·
Registered
145 Posts
There is a gentleman that I've shot with here in Northern Kentucky that shoots one handed. He is an excellent shot in 3-D, spots, and bowhunting. His set up is similar to those described before in that he uses a tab on the string to draw and release with his teeth.

You might be able to contact Tim Farmer through the KDFWR. He hosts the Kentucky Afield television program and does work with outdoorsmen and outdoorswomen who have physical challenges. He also shoots one handed.

·
Undocumented
18,095 Posts
Draw-Loc is what you want to Google, Hickory Creek Archery, I dont know what the show is that has these, I cant remember, but if you get on their web site I am sure they can answer ant questions, and fix you up with a bow you can use, good luck.
I second what he said. Draw-Loc

·
Registered
889 Posts
Holy cow that guy can shoot!
Kevin shot the hight score at the 2007 Duel in the Desert if I am not mistaken..High 1300s...

His brace is made of carbon fiber and he was involved in the design. He would be your best bet.

Cya!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts