Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from personal preferences, what are the advantages of one over the other?

-Walkman

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,429 Posts
Walkman said:
Aside from personal preferences, what are the advantages of one over the other?

-Walkman
There are always exceptions to every rule, but in general the two-cam bow can be tuned to a finer degree using methods such as creep tuning to arrive at a more forgiving setup. The two cams are somewhat faster than the one-cam, although some one-cam bows are very fast also. The two-cam is more forgiving in the vertical plane when tuned/timed properly because you can creep a little and still hit your mark. The one-cam would produce a low shot when off the wall a little.

The one cam requires less initial setup as there are really no timing issues to be concerned with, and the one cam bows are generally quieter and may be a little smoother.

But they are both good systems and both have won their share of major events. Also, once tuned both are quite stable due to todays string materials.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paul-
Going by your thoughts, would a One-Cam bow then be better for a newer shooter who isn't that deep into finite tuning of a bow yet?

·
9,429 Posts
Walkman said:
Paul-
Going by your thoughts, would a One-Cam bow then be better for a newer shooter who isn't that deep into finite tuning of a bow yet?
The two-cam isn't really that much more of a deal to tune and it does make a more forgiving setup. The one-cam isn't maintanance free, just a little less setup initially. There really isn't a big difference.

And if you look at the Fury X two cam system... nothing is easier to tune and make minor adjustments - and without a bow press!

·
Registered
969 Posts
I agree with EPLC with everything, but for a new shooter I would go with the single cam. Its very low maintnance as long as you mark the cam so you can tell if the cable is stretching. Also a lot of times with the 2 cam, such as the command cam has a lot more adjustment lenghth wise compared to a single cam. Or in mathews case no adjustmen at all. Thats my 10 cents worth. Take it for what its worth. I shoot great with my single cam.

Jason

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Dual vs single

I'll re-post my original answer to this from another thread:

"1) Twin cams are faster than solos if of the same configuration. Therefore, manufacturers have made most conventional solos with a much harsher draw cycle which stores more energy in an effort to compete with the speed of the twins. This harsher draw cycle is much harder on the archers' shoulder and back muscles, especially when they "overbow" themselves with the "false sense of ease" of the 80% let-off at the end of the draw cycle. They also cannot be tuned to as fine a degree as twins simply because they have no opposing cam to "balance-out the system". Ever get those occasional "flyers" with a conventional solo? Most everyone that shoots a solo has had them at one time or another. You simply cannot tune them out with a solo, they come from creeping slightly forward (most archers will from time to time) which rotates the single cam, and throws your shot. With twins you can "supertune"(what I call the creep-tune method) both cams and eliminate those high or low shots and have the same impact points regardless of creep or overdraw. In other words IMHO you have to work much harder to shoot a solo with the same consistency, especially when being a beginning or average archer, regardless of what you "think" you feel due to the higher let-off. Try it with an open mind and see for yourselves.

2) Most conventional solos have 80% let-off to help "mask" the harsher draw cycle they exhibit as stated above. This IMO is also detrimental to an average shooters' accuracy, because the higher the let-off, the less tension that runs through the entire system, and this lesser tension allows the archer to draw the string out of it's natural path much easier, therefore causing more left/right shots. Pros are not as apt to be bothered by this or by #1, because they know what they can safely and comfortably pull, and have superb form and shooting skills. Yes, Pros are winning with solos, but they are being paid to and are going where the money is, otherwise few would be there IMO. They also do not have any of the "form flaws" that most archers do, and thus CAN win with them. I have shot solos for quite awhile myself, but can honestly say I have never shot the scores that I do with twins. Many Pros say the difference between solos and twins and accuracy is that with the solo they can keep them holding a "sloppy 10, tight 9", but with twins they can keep them in the " tight 10, or X". I think they know what they're talking about. That same distance can be the difference between a solid double lung and a "no-man's land" shot while hunting, or the difference between a 10 and a 12 in 3D. Another interesting fact is that most of the Pros I know that shoot the solos are running 65% modules or cams in them. Ever pull a true 65% solocam? He-he, better you than me, been there and done that, no wonder I feel old, and why each year you see them get rounder and rounder. (and slower and slower)

3) The hard-wall of the solos is now being matched by built-in "wallbangers" (stops) on alot of the twins. They are rock solid also. Moot point here.

4) Conventional Solos need to be kept in time also, contrary to the "myth" that they are virtually maintenence free. Cam rotation and nocking point height are VERY critical with them, and they can go "out" quickly with their longer string due to increased chance of slippage or stretch. This is not as much of a factor today with the better string materials/better building techiniques available, but a shorter string/cable combination is always better than a longer one regardless to take away any factor at all.(some solos admittedly now have dual-track idlers and an adjustable cam also which helps this. In other words they have two cams!) This means the average Joe will be spending more time at the shop and on the range chasing sight marks than a guy with a twin. I have not touched my twin in over 8 months since I switched over to upgraded limbs for it, the cams are still perfectly on my timing marks after thousands of shots, and it hits the X every time. None of my previous solos would touch that for that period of time without some diddling.

In fact, IMO the ONLY 2 things solos now currently have over the twins is 1)- that out of the box, they will initially hold better. This is readily rectified with twins during the tuning/setup process, and becomes a moot point if done correctly with proper stabilization and timing/tuning. Most new twins hold superbly anyway. And 2)-- They are quieter for the most part. Out of the box, this is true and I have no arguement. Interestingly enough, a quick and correct application of cat whiskers and limbsavers for hunting applications (who cares how loud your target bow is if it goes into the X?) will put most every quality bow made today (twin or solo) in the same class also, and is much cheaper IMHO than a doctors' bill for strained or torn muscles due to a harsh draw!

Another person said it best---"If they keep on upgrading the solocam, they'll re-invent the twin cam". I believe he may be correct!

I don't believe this should turn into a Ford/Chevy debate over solos/twins, but I felt that I should clarify a few issues and offer my thoughts on why I feel twins will be a better choice overall for most archers. As stated, whatever you feel comfortable with and whatever you'd like to shoot is fine with me, there are many guys shooting solos out there that love them. As long as we're all shooting, that is definately what matters most."

This was originally posted some time ago, but answers your initial question.

Now--

Hybrid vs twin vs solo???

IMHO, Hybrids win hands down. There, kept it short and sweet, and this is from the same guy who wrote the above post. With scores jumping up almost 10-12 points per game over my finely tuned twin, I am now a convert. The new Omega hybrid is truly awesome and right now cannot be beat, twins are running second, and conventional solos will soon be found only in the archives IMHO. They did have a good run, but now there is something better.;) JMHO, Pinwheel 12

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pinwheel-
Thanks. I did a search before I posted, but didn't find yours (must have not used the right keywords). That's really what I was looking for.

I'm not a speed demon, so I'm really not worried about that. I AM, however, looking for something smooth. By your post, one could deduce that the 2-Cam's generally pull smoother that a 1-Cam.

And going by Paul's analysis, the amount of tuning involved between the two is small, and 2-Cams have a finer degree of tuning when I get that deep into it.

Does that sound about right?

-Walkman

·
Registered
54 Posts
it seems that the twins are fading away though, who out there now makes a reputable two cam bow. i for one have had enough of the one cam and the now and again "fliers" that pinwheel spoke of. wish i had never given up my Cybertec Command Cam +. i'm so desperate to get another 2 cam that i was actually looking at the High Country web site. oh please tell me it hasn't come to this.......

·
9,429 Posts
LegacyHunter said:
it seems that the twins are fading away though, who out there now makes a reputable two cam bow. i for one have had enough of the one cam and the now and again "fliers" that pinwheel spoke of. wish i had never given up my Cybertec Command Cam +. i'm so desperate to get another 2 cam that i was actually looking at the High Country web site. oh please tell me it hasn't come to this.......
Martin - Fury and Fury X cams...

·
Registered
54 Posts
hey eplc did your buddies at the Narrangansett Bowhunters tell you i stopped by the club around the 4th? i met two of your fellow members and they said you guys were having an indoor shoot that night and an outdoor on sunday.......real great looking place. i'll be sure to bring my bow with me the next time i come to RI

·
9,429 Posts
LegacyHunter said:
hey eplc did your buddies at the Narrangansett Bowhunters tell you i stopped by the club around the 4th? i met two of your fellow members and they said you guys were having an indoor shoot that night and an outdoor on sunday.......real great looking place. i'll be sure to bring my bow with me the next time i come to RI
Glad you enjoyed it. PM me anytime you're in town and we'll get together and fling some arrows.

·
74,535 Posts
Just my opionion

Seems one cams are winning. Winning alot. I know from some of the top guns I have ask. The one cams can be tuned to match any two cam bow and are just as effiecient.

I use to tell everyone that two cams were better.

Yes for average Joe hunter the one cams are easier to tune and stay in timing better.

·
I'd rather be hunting!
1,897 Posts
I think you should split the difference and try the cam & 1/2! ;)

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
I own both

Aside from which bow is the most comfortable (which has a LOT to do with the grip), the way I see it, the twin is a little more forgiving because of the creep factor. Single cams shoot low when you creep and high when you pull too hard into the stops.
The single cams are, as a group, quieter than twins with less hand shock. The new cam and halfs are still somewhat unknown despite the number of wins in big tournaments this year. You won't see much talk about it on the boards, but some people are getting occasional flyers with no idea why. Whether all hybrids exibit this characteristic is not known. People are so brand loyal that they won't talk about the problems, if any, only the good. My guess is that the twin cam with symetrical eccentrics on both ends will prove to be the most accurate, easiest to tune, and more importantly; easiest to tell when they are out of tune. Time will tell. Just my thoughts on the subject and not a slam at anyone, any brand, or any design.
Jbird

·
Registered
234 Posts
Very interesting topic.

Please may you explain to me.

How a two cams bow maybe smoother to draw than a one cam bow, If both shot a 350gr arrow at the same speed with the same draw lenght .?

marc.:D

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Pinwheel 12, good post.:) I prefer the doubles. I have 2 single cams here and they never "felt" right to me, the balance and kick after (during) the shot is not as strait forwad feeling to me. I shoot fingers too, so doubles, IMHO are more forgiving for that type of release.:cool: My wife and son shoot singles and love them. Try them both and the .5's and buy what feels best TO YOU.:) Shoot Straight.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
OK- now that we've established that what each individual likes is their preference and is what they should shoot, it's time for----

"Pinwheel 12's official 2004 predictions"! They are--

Virtually every manufacturer will offer a hybrid of some sort.

The conventional solocam will start it's "fade-out" into extinction.

One major company will "upgrade" their "not so level hybrid" to be more in line with other manufacturers' that offer straight and level travel. They may also re-introduce a true twin cam again of some sort.

Another major company will open up a "sister" company much like PSE did with AR and offer a hybrid too. Losing too many sales....poor guys are so poor this year they can only replace one limbside now instead of a matched set, he-he.

Some companies may "bring back" smoother shooting twins, also. ;)

And of course, everyone will flock to buy the new stuff! :D

The orgs will finally realize that to get anywhere for the future they will have to pull together and work as one. There will be an "Archery Decathlon Competition" run by an independant company but backed by two or three major organizations that will determine THE World Champion, with major Archery and no-Archery corporations sponsoring. (this one we can only hope for;) )

So sayeth this crystal ball. Anyone else have one and want to have a go at it? :D Pinwheel 12

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since this thread has been brought back from the dead-

I ordered a 2-Cam PSE Supra Synergy 65.

Python Blue.

Will show pics when it's in.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
hey walkman, just wanted to say I like your taste in equipment.
I've got a similar set-up in the Good Vibes color scheme.

If you have any questions when setting it up that I can assist with feel free to drop me a PM.

>>-------->

1 - 20 of 24 Posts