Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When hunting do you guys shoot with one or two eyes. I find at 40yds I can acquire the target and make the shot more quickly with one eye shut. At shorter distances like 20yds I seem to be all set with both eyes open.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Both eyes open, same with a gun.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
only one

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I leave them both open then close one to make sure the peep is centered on the sight ring before I let the arrow rip
I do find the one eye closed does help the center the peep more consistently.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I always shoot both eyes open but I will close one quickly to make sure the housing is centered with the peep. Typically just a quick blink if I hit my anchors correctly.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
really depends on the target, the light, etc. whatever is the clearest for me

·
Registered
204 Posts
After shooting for many years with one eye, I finally made the switch to both eyes open. Believe me, both is the way to go! It takes some getting used to, but if you stick with it you'll never go back. It helps me see where the arrow hits, whether a target or an animal, and also helps you be more aware of other surroundings besides only seeing whats in the sight ring.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Both eyes for me. Helps me see the target through the pin and I get to watch my arrow better. On the other hand my wife shoots righty but is left eye dominant and both eyes for her equals a two foot to the left miss. I guess it's all about what works for you.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
both eyes open, look at your target not your pins, you still see your pins but they will be a blur, your target is what you want to be in focus.

·
silent but deadly
1,195 Posts
When shooting a bow I use the peep the same way I woud a rifle scope. I find myself closing one eye.

I may try to train with both eyes open once I get the ol bow restrung and tuned up again.

I used to have a bad habit of shooting my pistols with one eye closed. Once I learned to shoot with both eyes open could line up my shot and aquire the next target for quicker transitions.

·
Registered
314 Posts
both eyes open for bow and gun.. think about it if you were playing basketball would you shoot the ball with both eyes open or with one eye closed? if you make it a rule to shoot with both eyes open you will become a better shot

1 - 19 of 19 Posts