Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am pretty new to trad and have a one piece recurve for now. I travel some to hunt and want to take the recurve along. Been looking at some of the Plano jumbo rod cases to take on a plane:

JUMBO ROD CASE W/WHEELS

* Jumbo Airliner Telescoping Rod Case
* Larger diameter for more storage
* Extends to 112"
* Integrated wheels for easy transport
* Black
* 67 - 112x11.5x8.5

Anybody use these or have other suggestions? I was thinking I would lay the bow on a piece of egg crate foam, fold the foam over the bow, and then slide the whole thing into the rod tube. Any thoughts appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
38,292 Posts
Tube cases are great for longbows. Not so great for recurves, though the model you cited might work. Not sure if those are interior or exterior dimensions quoted. Looks like a bit of a monster. Not sure how much extra the airlines will charge you, though.

·
Registered
855 Posts
That looks like it would work but airline travel is exactly why I prefer T/Ds. With the extra baggage charges now days I don't even put my bows in a case. I just pack the limbs and handle in the center of my bag cushioned with clothes around them.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback, a T/D is on my list for my next bow. I fly a lot for work and I am exempt from additional bag charges due to Frequent Flier status, also most airlines give exemptions on oversized bag rules for things like golf clubs and archery gear?

·
Registered
38,292 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, a T/D is on my list for my next bow. I fly a lot for work and I am exempt from additional bag charges due to Frequent Flier status, also most airlines give exemptions on oversized bag rules for things like golf clubs and archery gear?
The airlines are really weird about the exemptions. They only apply for things like golf clubs where the sport has some juice. If you put stuff other than golf equipment in a golf bag it doesn't count as exempt anymore. Don't know if people actually get zapped for that, but thems the rules I've been quoted, though I'm sure it varies from carrier to carrier. Archery isn't popular/rich enough to get special exemptions from extra charges.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The airlines are really weird about the exemptions. They only apply for things like golf clubs where the sport has some juice. If you put stuff other than golf equipment in a golf bag it doesn't count as exempt anymore. Don't know if people actually get zapped for that, but thems the rules I've been quoted, though I'm sure it varies from carrier to carrier. Archery isn't popular/rich enough to get special exemptions from extra charges.
I just pulled up American Airlines baggage rules and they have just about every sport listed, including archery. With that said, I have one of those big travel golf bag covers, the heavy duty kind. When i fly to hunt I put a LW Alpha, 4 sticks, my pack and all closthes in that thing and it sails right through as golf gear!

·
Registered
38,292 Posts
I just pulled up American Airlines baggage rules and they have just about every sport listed, including archery. With that said, I have one of those big travel golf bag covers, the heavy duty kind. When i fly to hunt I put a LW Alpha, 4 sticks, my pack and all closthes in that thing and it sails right through as golf gear!
Good to know :)

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Not sure how expensive that one is but I know that tres rivers carries some airline apporved cases. I'll get the link and a picture...

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I have the longbow version of the one I'm not Ted mentioned - they are nice and sturdy, they also have a matching arrow case which hold about 18 arrows and they attach together, somehow

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
i made it back from Hungary with 2 horsebows in a sturdy cardboard tube (the center of a roll of linoleum). i wrapped the bows with t-shirts inside the tube. the airlines had no problems with it (no extra charge), and the bows were fine. it cost $4 (mostly the duct tape- it ain't cheap over there). cheap, but effective

·
Registered
76,751 Posts
I use my pelican double shotgun case when I take a onepiece.... I can actually take my takedown in carryon if I chose to, and if they'd let me, never tried it, but I wrap a takedown in bubbles and towels and stick it in baggage.

It's true about what they say about where they hire baggage handlers, and when they run out of bananas, the take it out on your luggage.

Aloha... :cool::beer:

·
Registered
855 Posts
rattus58,

I didn't think one could take a bow, even unassembled on a plane as carry on? I've never tried it myself but have read on other threads where it wasn't allowed.

·
Registered
76,751 Posts
I've not looked into it either. I'll ask. I've always put it into a bag wrapped with bubbles and towels or into a pelican case, but it will fit into a carryon duffle very easily.

Much Aloha,

Tom

·
Registered
76,751 Posts
Sporting Goods
Item Carry-on Checked
Baseball Bats No Yes
Bows and Arrows No Yes
Cricket Bats No Yes
Golf Clubs No Yes
Hockey Sticks No Yes