Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting a HHA 5500 sight and use a peep sight. Just wondering what yardage you used to site in your one pin sight with.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I use a one pin fiber optic sight. I sight the pin to be dead on at 30 yards. For deer, if closer, I hold down to lower body.If you've got a 40 yard deer, just hold a bit higher. For elk, it doesn't really matter since the kill zone is so large. I practiced last year out to 70 yards with the single pin. I killed my bull at 50 yards. It's just a matter of learning your bows trajectory and how much it drops at various yardages. By the way, the bow I used last year was about 255 fps with a 400 grain arrow. I had to start using one pin because I developed a form of target panic 3 weeks before my elk hunt. Going to 1 pin seemed to work for me.

·
Registered
667 Posts
28yds for me

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
25-28 depending on the speed of the bow. Try a few different settings and see what works best for you.

Darrel

·
74,535 Posts
25 yrds works for me

Very easy to shoot and accurate.

·
32,712 Posts
I also like the vertical pin and I've got the HHA5000 and I love it. Hard for me to get use to the horizontal pins.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
25-26 yards on my Trophy Ridge Titan.

·
Registered
162 Posts
impact cosmic

I do it a little different. I have mine set for 35 yards, which is about the max that I will take a shot. For some reason I am very comfortable holding low, even on close shots, but don't like to hold high at all. Probly wouldn't work for most people, but for me it is a good system. Find yours and practice hard.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
The 25 yard rule seems to be what most guys use for Whitetails. Set the pin at 25 yards and you are covered from 0-30 yards. If I was hunting with a single pin sight out west where the shots may be farther I might set pin at 30-35 yards.

·
Team #28
5,828 Posts
I have the HHA 5000 1 pin and absolutely love this sight. Very bright, easy to see and very solid. Depending on where I will be hunting, I ususally set my pin for about 20-22 yards. This works great for me.

·
32,712 Posts
eyedoc said:
I have the HHA 5000 1 pin and absolutely love this sight. Very bright, easy to see and very solid. Depending on where I will be hunting, I ususally set my pin for about 20-22 yards. This works great for me.
I'm with you on this. I love the single pin verticle sight. For some reason I am more accurate with it and the whole concept of it works for me. I just ordered another one and I'll probably end up putting it on my Hoyt Protec. The CJ will either go on my Bowtech or on the market. I'll probably set the pins at 20 yds and go from there. I won't be using it for hunting anyway so 20 will be fine. The Bowtech however would be diff. I'd put it at 25 or 30. It's just that flat a shooter.

·
EXTREME BOWSTRINGS
11,626 Posts
I have been shooting one for a few years now and I usually have mine set to what ever spot I expect to shoot my deer, which is usually at 20 yds but have noticed that if I decided to shoot another deer I had plenty of time to re adjust the pin for that distance. I have the HHA 5000

·
Registered
286 Posts
I also have an HHA, mine is the 5500 and I set it for 25 yards. I am shooting 282 fps.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I also have an HHA, mine is the 5500 and I set it for 25 yards. I am shooting 282 fps. I put a bolt in the slide channel at the 25 yd setting. So if I suspect a longer distance and have it set for example at 35 yds I can very easily quickly slide it to the 25-yd setting.

·
32,712 Posts
Dwayne said:
I also have an HHA, mine is the 5500 and I set it for 25 yards. I am shooting 282 fps.
I've looked at both sights and I have the HHA5000 and I like the heck out of it but I can't see where they are that much diff. except in the amount of fiber.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I hunted several years with one pin, and I sighted in dead on at 26 yds. That put me about 2" high at 20 yds and 2" low at 30 yds (aluminum @ 250 fps). I only had to aim low once on a shot from a treestand at 10 yards. It worked great for whitetails but didn't cut the mustard when I went out to Utah for mulies. Now I shoot carbons @ 260 fps and I have 4 pins set for 20, 30, 35 and 40 yards. Good luck with your setup!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts