Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like this bow is out! I was just saw it on BHP front page and one of their Prostaff is shooting it next season.

I think this will be good for Oneida... they need to get more involved and get newer bows out there.

Anyone a Die Heart Onedia Shooter here? What are your thoughts?

Official BHP statement:
BOW NEWS - BowHunterPlanet.com to launch new C.P. Oneida Eagle - Falcon!!!! see it on BHPtv in 2010

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm a die hard Oneida shooter, been one since 1989! I have a new Falcon and think it's an awesome shooting bow. Smooth draw, easy to work on and flings an arrow!

I also hear they are coming out with a shorter version bow for 2010, should be an interesting year for Oneida. They have expanded their operation with a new addition to their current building also, so keep an eye out for more to come!

·
Registered
472 Posts
how are the oneida's in terms of noise?
I would say they are a bit louder than most new bows on the market today, but they also have a different noise to them. With some good string silencers, a couple of pieces of felt on the outboards where the string makes contact and some limbsavers you can get the bow pretty quiet. The right weight arrow makes a big difference also, Oneida's prefer them! No deer have ever complained of the noise when the arrow goes through it, so I'd say it's quiet enough to hunt with!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
oneida falcon

Another Oneida diehard here.
Like Chris said CPO has another new bow coming out shortly and has just expanded their factory. Will be featured on Michigan outdoors some time in the future for those interested.
I have been hunting with the falcon for a little over a year and have an sts on the bow and a set of limb jax. Have taken several big game animals with this bow and noise has never been an issue.

·
Unregistered User
1,738 Posts
how are the oneida's in terms of noise?
I would say they are a bit louder than most new bows on the market today, but they also have a different noise to them. With some good string silencers, a couple of pieces of felt on the outboards where the string makes contact and some limbsavers you can get the bow pretty quiet. The right weight arrow makes a big difference also, Oneida's prefer them! No deer have ever complained of the noise when the arrow goes through it, so I'd say it's quiet enough to hunt with!
I'm not afraid to say it- they're really loud.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Justin17,

The question was answered by Oakwood304 about the noise.

Oneida's have a different type of sound & when one is not tuned properly,can be loud (as any bow out of tune can be)

There are basic methods that can help quiet them down even more.

They are so easy that if you can understand a pictograph on how to use double stick tape,not cut yourself with a sharp object, tie rubber bands in a knot, use Allen wrenches & read the measurements on a ruler, You Too can expertly set up & silence you Oneida!

Quoting Oakwood304
"With some good string silencers, a couple of pieces of felt on the outboards where the string makes contact and some limbsavers you can get the bow pretty quiet. The right weight arrow makes a big difference also, Oneida's prefer them! No deer have ever complained of the noise when the arrow goes through it, so I'd say it's quiet enough to hunt with!"

Quoting Justin17 "I'm not afraid to say it- they're really loud."

Justin17,
Feel free to share you're experience with us about one of the current production bows such as the New Falcon,Black Eagle ll,Osprey,Hawk & Talon.

I don't want to hear about your uncles friends cousins old Oneida bow that was loud. I want to hear You're experience with one of the current production bows that was loud & what if anything was done to resolve your issues

Oakwood304 & Oneida Bows have nothing to be afraid of & answered the question.

Maybe they should have answered turkeydawg' question as such!

Quoting turkeydawg "how are the Oneida's in terms of noise?"

As with any bow,not being properly set up & maintained, they can loud & not shoot well. Being set up & maintained correctly are excellent hunting bows capable of providing a clean swift kill & when using the correct spined arrow do so quietly.

My experience is with Oneida Extreme Eagle bow #229 It has plenty of power to effectively kill Whitetail Deer & my bow has no Felt, String Silencers or Limb Savers & is not loud enough to scare a 8pt Buck that I missed a few weeks ago. He jumped one bound, waited a moment & then proceeded to walk away.

This also has benn my experience in the past I shot & killed a doe out of a group of deer & had the others come right back in a few minutes ready to shoot another.

Also missed a straight down shot on a button buck, I slowly & quietly loaded & drew a 2nd arrow & dropped him in his tracks

If my Oneida was loud,by all means I have achieved the impossible.

I don't buy into the hype that you need to get the newest,fastest & quieter than last years model to be a successful hunter.

Marketing makes the world go around & in the archery world is a multi million dollar industry.

CPO is a small company making what I feels is a fine product & is striving to always make quality bows & give hunters what they need, not what marketing & Sunday morning Hunting(marketing)Shows say they need

·
Banned
91 Posts
Agreed with all that's been said. Oneidas are fantastic bows. Yes, their design lends to a "different" report on the shot, but absolutely nothing that would prevent you from successfully hunting with them. If they are out of tune, they do let you know, but that is no fault of the bow.

They are plenty fast, extremely smooth, carry plenty of KE through game, and extremely easy to work on. Would I trade a sound that isn't perceived by game for all of this? YOU BET!

Anonym

·
Unregistered User
1,738 Posts
VLODPG,

I'm not sure what you mean by "You're experience". I am experience? I don't understand. "You're" is a contraction of "you" and "are". If you say "you're" you are essentially saying "you are".

Perhaps you meant "your experience". In that case I would be happy to tell you my experience. I have heard the newer bows in a nearby pro shop. It was loud. Louder than any other bow at the range, and there were some older bows there.

You might be able to fix the bows from the factory, but should you have to do that to a bow costing almost $1200? The fact is there is absolutely no reason to buy one of these bows especially for the price.

·
Registered
228 Posts
VLODPG,

I'm not sure what you mean by "You're experience". I am experience? I don't understand. "You're" is a contraction of "you" and "are". If you say "you're" you are essentially saying "you are".

Perhaps you meant "your experience". In that case I would be happy to tell you my experience. I have heard the newer bows in a nearby pro shop. It was loud. Louder than any other bow at the range, and there were some older bows there.

You might be able to fix the bows from the factory, but should you have to do that to a bow costing almost $1200? The fact is there is absolutely no reason to buy one of these bows especially for the price.

Justin, perhaps your "Nearby Pro Shop" has no business selling the Oneida Bow. It sounds to me like they were trying to make the bow into something it isn't. It is not a bow that flings ultra light weight arrows like a wheelie bow, the geometry of the shooting sequence is different. I've been selling Oneida Bows since the mid eighties and the Oneida is FIRST and FOREMOST a hunting bow. I've always said that nothing shoots a light weight arrow worst than a lever limb bow but nothing shoots a heavy stiff arrow better than a lever limb bow. Sure you can shoot an Oneida at at a 3D shoot but you had better be shooting at least a 400 grain arrow. There is just too much energy being absorbed by the bow itself unless you are shooting a heavier arrow. When it comes to a true hunting bow you simply can't beat a lever bow. They are the smoothest bows ever to be produced and they have no equal when it comes to flinging heavy BLOW-THROUGH arrows.

·
Banned
31 Posts
I just dont like the cable guard thingy. Not the look or function I like.

My black eagle is louder then most bows but I am hoping that is going to be fixed when it returns from gulf coast and boar has the chance to go thru it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
oneida all the way

like the others have said. my black eagle is not loud . yes you need to shoot heavy arrows. they are easy to work on and are very easy on my old and bad shoulders. like been said you need arrows in the 8 to 10 grains per inch to keep them quiet. this is a hunting bow not a speed bow. I believe there is too much put on speed nowdays. I been in my shop where guys are shooting light arrows fot speed and they sound like a 22 going off. learn how your bow shoots and how to judge yardage you don't need all that speed. a little mistake with a fast bow makes it a bigger mistake at the other end.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oneida

These bows are great. I don't think they are that loud. Plus you get the best draw cycle in the industry...

·
Registered
184 Posts
VLODPG,

I stand corrected It should have benn "your"

I don't recall if that was my error or my spell checker. Mea Culpa!

·
Registered
11,636 Posts
Justin, perhaps your "Nearby Pro Shop" has no business selling the Oneida Bow. It sounds to me like they were trying to make the bow into something it isn't. It is not a bow that flings ultra light weight arrows like a wheelie bow, the geometry of the shooting sequence is different. I've been selling Oneida Bows since the mid eighties and the Oneida is FIRST and FOREMOST a hunting bow. I've always said that nothing shoots a light weight arrow worst than a lever limb bow but nothing shoots a heavy stiff arrow better than a lever limb bow. Sure you can shoot an Oneida at at a 3D shoot but you had better be shooting at least a 400 grain arrow. There is just too much energy being absorbed by the bow itself unless you are shooting a heavier arrow. When it comes to a true hunting bow you simply can't beat a lever bow. They are the smoothest bows ever to be produced and they have no equal when it comes to flinging heavy BLOW-THROUGH arrows.
i would definitely agree with that statement, that is about the best way to describe its performance. but also, i agree with justin17? for about 1200 dollars i would think that "bug" would have been worked out by now. that is one of the reasons i dumped them, the bow seemed like it made a new noise everyday

·
Registered
427 Posts
they are great bows they do have a loud sound but as oak said they can be fixed with a few silencers. they are very hard for me to get use to personally because i shoot wheel/cam bows more but the newer versions defiantly are much better especially in the line of noise but a little pricey for most.
older oneidas were very loud but if you go with any newer oneida they arent bad on noise. so end note you should give on a shoot you will be very pleased with them :)

·
Banned
31 Posts
I couldnt be more happy with mine (its not a Falcon) but I just got it back from being serviced and I was remaking on the noise it made gulf coast archery tuned it and put on a set of their steel cables and the bow is just remarkable how much better it feels and how much more quiet it is then before

thanks to Richard and his team:)

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
As many have stated Oneidas like a "HEAVY ARROW" I shoot a 1994 Aero Force and 4 1997 Lite Force Magnums and they are all older Oneidas and are whisper quiet but I shoot a heavy arrow XX75 2514 @ 30 inches, Gold Tip 7595 XT @ 30 and FMJ 300 @ 30 and my bows are quiet. I know a few that shoot lighter Carbons and it has a louder sound to them but they went to a shop to get arrows and the SHoot used the standard Wheel Bow specifics off the arrow chart and the Oneid Chart is different which is one of the issues second each of my bows have different silencing accessories on them from jst cat whiskers, to just BowJaxs, to some have limbsavers on them and all have some moleskin under the outboards and they are quiet and the deer I have taken have not notice or reacted to the arrows release. I have been shooting Oneidas since 1995 and like the great easy of set up and string change and they have been great shooting even the custom 46 inch LFM that came from the factory though I am the third owner.

The newer Models are quiet and have been design with all the best ideas included in them and as they continue to work on them for the best they can. But with the cost of being a small bow company the costs associated with making a bow adds to the costs. If they had half the sales of the big companies they might come down but again those that have the newer models love them and hunt with them.

Beefdog has the right info and being a dealer has seen many bows out there and know a lot about what they are all about. As others have stated you have to enjoy them and work on them if there is any noise issues but that is with any bow. Many shops won't work on them and some that do have no idea what they are doing. I have seen this being they are different than the wheel bows out there. Once you know how they work they are easy to keep shooting quietly... The only thing I do is change the string and lube each year.

But I like Oneidas...

LFM

1 - 20 of 21 Posts