Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya, the Oneida started out as a Tomcat II that Richard (Boar 5150) at Gulf Coast Archery had. I asked him to build me a long finger bow using the Tomcat and Strike Eagle outboards. It made a 52" bow with 10.5" brace height that maxed at 60# and 32-34" draw. The bow didn't fit me right, as the draw was too long. I put a 42 module on and made it work, but wanted more draw weight and more speed.

So, I contacted Boar again, and asked about modifying the bow. Together, we decided on building an Aerocat (Tomcat with Aerocat outboards). My riser had the old I cam on it, and I didn't want to spring for the K cam. So I was shipped a heavier set of power limbs and a set of Aeroforce outboards. Boar was very gracious during this whole project and answer questions by email and phone. Excellent customer service! I had a few other goodies in the box that he sent me at no charge to make the project work.

When it was all said and done, I acheived what I wanted. I have limbs that will go over 80#, a draw length that works for me, draw stops, a new ff string and the ability to break the bow down and change out the parts. I coated the bow in bedliner material. I then put limbsations copperhead snake stickers on the limbs. I asked a friend to cut a piece of aluminum into a bracket for an old Bear Delta quiver that makes the bow balance very well.

I am shooting with a finger tab. The bow is equipt for hunting (velcro on outboards, cat whiskers, quiver). I was shooting two different arrows for speed. I used a radarchron that mounts in the stabilzer hole. About 80 degrees.
70 lbs 520 grain arrow 228 fps
70 lbs 425 grain arrow 245 fps
76 lbs 520 grain arrow 235 fps.
76 lbs 425 grain arrow (estimated) 252 fps.

I imagine the speeds would go up if I pulled the stuff off of the string and outboards, but I built it for hunting so that appears to be real world for me. Originally, I thought I would just shoot the bow around 65 lbs. The bow pulls so smoothly, that I have it cranked up to 76 lbs right now. I will settle on a weight when I tune my ACC 3-71 .300 spine 32" arrows with 125 grain tips (520 grains).

Richard was very helpful and thoughtful in this project. Special thanks to him.
Pictures:

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The 520 grain arrows at 228 fps give me 60 fpe and the 520 grain arrow at 235 fps gives me 64 fpe. This was built for elk. That should be plenty!

I am primarily a recurve shooter, but the benefit of drawing the bow while the elk isn't looking, and then holding it until the shot presents itself is a huge advantage. I was drawn this year for cow elk. Its been a few years since I was able to get drawn. I will fool around with barebow, which is what I usually shoot. But a moveable single pin sight is attractive to me as well. Set it for 25 yards and know what the difference is at 15 yards and 30/35 yards. The pin can be moved at 40 if needed. I don't take shots beyond 40. Elk are BIG animals. I killed one with a recurve in 2001.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Oneida

Thats classic Richard! Any you guys ever get the hanker'in for a Oneida, this is the guy you need to call. He knows everything Oneida and won't break the bank building it. If you have never drawn one, you are shorting yourself, these bows were designed for bow hunters that used their FINGERS to draw and shoot a bow. No bow draws like the Oneida. Reminds me............ I gotta get my strike put back together before this season comes.

BW

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up getting the draw length figured out recently, with the help of Boar. I tore off the snake skin stickers. They started looking trashy to me. So, this evening I did a psuedo Whackmaster inspired camo paint job using tan, brown, rust and black. I'll have to post a picture or two.

I haven't shot the bow in months, because I was focusing on recurves. But I will take it out in the morning. Time to get tuned up for elk!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts