Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I have shoot target (field) archery with a traditional recurve & a compound (Bowtech Insanity CPXL).

I've always loved the Oneida Kestrel & am seriously pondering one. My main issues are......

- it needs constant adjustment
- it's considerably overpriced (being UK based add 30% customs charge!)

What do people think?

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I have been shooting Oneida's for over 25 years. Does not need constant adjustment. Set it up like any other bow, and as long as nothing gets banged around or bumped it's fine just like any other bow. Cables do need to be changed periodically depending on how much you shoot. As far as the Kestrel being overpriced, I think there are a lot of over priced bows out there. The problem with Oneida is that it is a niche bow, they don't sell nearly as many bows as other companies so I think they have to make up the difference. You can find them used for a decent price, compared to new, lol. The nice thing about Oneida's you will be able to get any parts you need for years to come. Dave

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Keep your eye on here and eBay. One just sold on here for around 900. Not cheap but not 1400 either. They also seem to hold there value more than other bows. At least, lately. I'm always on the lookout for used Oneida's. If I see a Kestrel, I'll pm you. Dave

·
Registered
492 Posts
one of my friends a few years ago had a Oneida extreme and he shot tournaments and a lot of 3d and the bows durability was a issue for him. maybe it was the bow maybe not but he couldn't continue on with that design doing the volume of shooting he was. I say look for ebay deals as getting a new Oneida is a serious expense for old style technology that can be had from a older model at a fraction of the price of new.

·
Registered
793 Posts
i have a early 2000's Black Eagle and from all the specs ive read its everybit as fast and good as the falcon/Kestrel etc and I paid almost 4x's less

·
Registered
133 Posts
I too have been shooting Oneidas for over 25 years. I've also shot other brands and Oneidas are no more trouble to maintain than any other compound, just different. I find the Kestrel very easy to tune and maintain, fingers or release. I currently shoot a 2013 Kestrel 55# with fingers and shoots great. I'm old school and shoot aluminum Easton xx78 2317/.300 with feathers and a big heavy 200 grain VPA Terminator 3-blade bh. 680grain total. Very smooth draw cycle and a very quiet bow with the heavy arrow and fingers. The new Kestrel is a whole new bow compared to the old Oneidas. I hesitated to pay $1400 for the bow too, but I'm sure glad I did. Can't beat Oneida customer service either. Just call them up anytime and talk to a technician or salesman or whoever you need too. I ordered mine over the phone straight from Oneida. Go for it if you can. Good Luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had my Kestrel for about six months now and I have fallen in love with the draw cycle on it compared to my Hoyt compounds....it is smooth as silk. I have not had any issues with the bow and I have shot quite a few arrows downrange. The initial price was a shocker, but not much more than my Carbon bows and it has become my favorite to shoot. The noise it makes is a little odd compared to the wheel bows, but no louder, just different.

You can't go wrong with an Oneida and if you don't want to pony up the cash for a Kestrel, get a BE or BEII on e-Bay.

Tree Trunk Logging Tree stump Woody plant

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I think most people's gripe is other than the riser, all the other parts have been around a long time. I think they feel not much new innovation for the cost. I'm sure a lot has to do with the quantity they sell. Glad your happy with your bow. I think they're great bows.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I think most people's gripe is other than the riser, all the other parts have been around a long time. I think they feel not much new innovation for the cost. I'm sure a lot has to do with the quantity they sell. Glad your happy with your bow. I think they're great bows.
BINGO....I look at my BE and I have seen the newer BE's and the Falcons/Kestrel and nothing has really changed (but the price) . the speed isn't there , the noise is the same. but with the design maybe there isn't much room for innovation/change

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Things have changed some over the years the Draw cycle is the big thing if you had a Black Eagle I it had little to no valley like the Aero Force and Lite Force Magnum had I got a Black Eagle I from one of their sales staff that took it out in pay when Oneida Labs closed and owe him some money. It was nothing like the Aero Force I was shooting for 5 years. Many on the old CP Oneida Forum post there was no difference but that was not the case! Claude Pollington Knew there was and he refined the BE several times trying to get it more like the AF & LFM had. The times I stop at CPO on Saturdays he was always around and always like asking what Bow you were shooting. He mention as did his son Matt that they were working on the geometry of the draw cycle if you look at the AF & LFM with the Pylons it was more of an equal triangle as compared to the BE I they came out with the BE II & Extreme and it was to have a better draw cycle as did the Falcon and the Kestrel the riser has changed as to the shape. And maybe the Cams have a little to better the design for the draw as well. Don't Know never shot any thing newer than the BE I found my first LFM and never looked back though I have been to CPO several times just to see what was new. I would like to shoot a Pro but they are hard to find and they are high price close to a Kestrel and it is similar to the BE I as to when it was made. It had the brace like a Hoyt does. The only thing is the ESC Limbs have a different sound to them nothing like the wood outboards but I guess some like them and some don't. A friend ha s limb delaminate and had ESC put on and he could never seem to keep it in tune and shooting. He still has it but never shoots it now. But again it was done at the factory and he also had it dipped to match since it was a painted Oneida Labs model and no one paints them then or now...

Things have been worked on to better them many don't take notice since most have only seen a few of the newer models so it might be hard to see any differences but they have tried to at one point they were working on a die cast riser mid price model but things happened and it was put on the shelf and now doubt it will ever been seen again I saw 4 Matt was working on years ago...

It takes a lot to refine a bow and for many you really don't see any changes but they have been just nothing big like some expect to see...

LFM

·
Registered
793 Posts
well the company is no longer owned by pollington son of bass proshop owner purchased it .. he says he is moving it to his state so he can oversee the quality ... I bet they will cheapen it up to raise the profit margin this should help raise the value of my black eagle

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
I understand that but many were talking about why the Price again they aren't selling thousands of Oneida like they do the many other bows on the market they never really have maybe back in the mid 1990's when you could buy them from many dealers as well as from Cabelas and Gander Mountain would have been their biggest time selling them I was just pointing out they most would not notice any changes to the bow but the shape / design of the riser the limbs and cables slight changes to length maybe but again when you aren't selling many and yet some still bought them for that Price they might have been worth for some buyers just not all of us that have shot Oneida's for many years...

Hope they can get the company going but Claude being in the business of machining parts and such would have found a way to lower his costs as well as changing the design there is no simple way to do that and get the price down and lowering quality is never a good way to get and keep customers. Like the Oneida Discovery Claude never like it and did not take it when he bought Oneida and the owner of Oneida Labs did and he made low end bows when he did (FBT). Only time will tell hope the new owner is knowledgeable as to machining, quality parts and quality Bows but again it takes a lot to stay in the archery business I can name a few that had sold a lot and then they bought new equipment and could not make what they had like Wheeler also made here in Michigan and was big here on Archerytalk many had them years back and then he just disappeared after having a lot of them out there.

Only time will tell!!!

LFM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts