Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
space for rent
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got roped into building an Oneida string for local guy. Any way I have 452X and Astro flight to choose from, which would be a better material for these bows?

I know to double serve the loops, but that is all I know about these things. :pepsi:

·
Custom String Builder
1,821 Posts
I just built one, I built it out of Trophy, and double served the ends. This is the second one I have made. No complaints yet!

Hutch

·
www.archery-zone.com
1,200 Posts
When you say double serve are you just serving the end loop and then going right back over that serving? Just asking in case I ever need to build one?

·
Custom String Builder
1,821 Posts
Yes! that is what Oneida recommends and the string he sent me was built the same.

Hutch

·
Registered
140 Posts
Got roped into building an Oneida string for local guy. Any way I have 452X and Astro flight to choose from, which would be a better material for these bows?

I know to double serve the loops, but that is all I know about these things. :pepsi:
I'd use the Astro as it has a little more stretch. All the low creep materials are alittle harsh on the oneida limb tips.

·
space for rent
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd use the Astro as it has a little more stretch. All the low creep materials are alittle harsh on the oneida limb tips.
That is what I was thinking. I read that 452x will work just makes it louder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
That is what I was thinking. I read that 452x will work just makes it louder.

Louder is not the word for it, now oneida's aren't the queitest bow around but I had a 450plus string on my strike eagle it sounded like a shotgun. Change to a D97 string an it was night an day difference.

·
space for rent
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Louder is not the word for it, now oneida's aren't the queitest bow around but I had a 450plus string on my strike eagle it sounded like a shotgun. Change to a D97 string an it was night an day difference.
This bow is a strike eagle too. Draw length measures out to 32". now if I can just figure put how to get the old on off and the new one on.

·
www.archery-zone.com
1,200 Posts
"This bow is a strike eagle too. Draw length measures out to 32". now if I can just figure put how to get the old on off and the new one on."

Ya I hadn't thought of that ether all I have is a linear press so how do you go about getting the string off of one.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have been making oneida strings for our customers for years and if your bow has plastic limb tips your bow needs a dacron string.There may be other substitutes for the B50 dacron we use. For bows without plastic limb tips you can use a fast flyte material. Most strings we make are of 450+ then 452x for those looking for more speed. A few feet per second difference is what you get and more noise. We also make strings when requested from 8125 and Dyna 97 also good string materials.

·
Registered
140 Posts
This bow is a strike eagle too. Draw length measures out to 32". now if I can just figure put how to get the old on off and the new one on.

If it has the old string still on the bow, all you have to do is draw the bow an put a peice of 1 inch dowel rod or a couple of screwdriver handles right behind the hinges under the outside set of limbs. Then let the bow down on them an change string. If it doesn't just back the limb bolts out one turn at a time on each end until everything is slack an you can remove the string. keep track of the number of turns an put that many back in, an everything should be close to what it was. If you have any question feel free to PM me.

·
Lefty Senior Member
2,819 Posts
But remember to loosen the set screw on the timing system before you adjust the poundage on these bows or you will be in trouble.

·
space for rent
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did the screwdriver handle trick. Worked like a champ.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The dowels work great but recomend tillering your bow and checking for correct brace height also.
Without doing so everything will be close if the bow was in tune to start. I would recomend loosening the tensioning hub lock down screw before adjusting the limb bolts if needed. Then tillering the bow properly will get your bow tuned for shooting targets and broadheads. If you dont do this you dont know if your tiller is correct.
Here is a link to a manual for your bow.
http://www.oneidabows.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2778
You can also contact us if you have any questions.
We are a full time lever action pro shop stocking most parts for oneida bows.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts