Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any of you out there in AT land..? If so can you tell me some things about them, i.e maintenance frequency, tuning or any other qwerks unique to that style of bow. I've alway wanted to shoot one but I dont know a of a dealer close enough to me to do so. Have any of you switched to them and not gone back to wheel bows? I watched a few vids on youtube of the Black Eagle..that thing looks like it shoots lights out.

·
Banned
360 Posts
There are a few of us on here, you'll see more of us in the finger shooting section for some reason. I've got an older style Oneida so I can't answer specific questions about the Black Eagle. Monster bows forum has alot of Oneida shooter on it, as do some other places.

·
A.T.Under Sophist
19,784 Posts
I had an Aeroforce back in the day and I can tell you, it was fast! The downside was, it was like shooting off a 22 in terms of noise. I assume they've solved that issue since then (this was early 90s, I think). I went back to a wheel bow after I cracked a limb-although Oneida did replace and install a new one for free. While the bow was easy to draw, it wasn't very forgiving. I've not seen the new ones.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Seems that many that have shot an Oneida and gone back to a Wheelie bow say they have a 22 sound to them. I can't see that being I have been shooting an Oneida since 1995, though none of mine are the newer models they are all good... I shoot the Lite Force Magnum model made back in 1997 -1999. It is just a shorter version of the Aero Force. Since Claude Pollington bought the company back in 2000 they have been working on the bows and made some nice changes to them. The Black Eagle II is a great hunting bow and they also have a few made more for bowfishing like the Osprey and Talon. The Oneida's like a heavier arrow than most a shops will sell you. I like the Easton 2514 and the Gold Tip 7595, my set up is 60 lbs @ 30 inches, use a release, and 125 field points and broadheads. The ones I have and I have a few are all quiet. Not much on them but a set of BowJaxs II string silences and maybe some SVL on the power limbs but not all have them they just came with a few I got used. Seems Oneida's are just perference thing some like them some don't. I like that I don't need a bow press to change a string or even a cable if needed, once set up very little maintenance, just a new string if you shoot a lot each year, and a lube. Just don't let the outboard limb come in contact with anything or you will be replacing the timing system. But again they are great bows. I have 3 LFM's and 1 AF... The AF is my first and original Oneida in a custom paint scheme. Others will post to this... There are a few of us here...

Good Luck,
LFM

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can anyone post any pics?

·
Registered
688 Posts
I just purchased my 4th Oneida (Strike, Aero-Force, Black Eagle, Black Eagle 2) and I love(d) them all. You do need to shoot a heavier arrow to keep them as quiet as they can get. I shoot a 30" 2219 with 100 grain points. When I went to the range the other day, I had several people comment on the bow and most were suprised at how quiet it was...most had read on this website and others how loud they are. I let them all shoot it. As always, they love the draw cycle. Not one person asked about speed...most commented that it looked like the arrows were zipping right along...in reality, it is shooting around 215fps...with a 525-550 grain arrow at 30" draw at 61 lbs. If you plan to take 50yd and up shots, probably not the bow for you but if you like the smoothest draw in archery, you will love this bow. I am not a fanboy, I also shoot a hoyt Vulcan that I love. And by the way, Oneida's are NOT hard to maintain or service and as others have mentioned, you will not have to "constantly work on the bow" I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah judging by that grip you can tell she's got some age on her....:wink:...I wish there was a dealer close by, I'd love to shoot one..

·
Registered
32 Posts
You might wanna check out Monster Bows Phoenix model. For the price, its hard to beat for a non wheel compound bow. Very simple in design, from what ive read on posts...Its quiet, fast and pulls like no other compound bow out there. You can even set it from around 92% let off to 0% let off and its a 300 fps bow thats got a 8 3/4 or so brace height.

It'll be the next bow I own. :darkbeer:

www.monsterbows.com

Oh ya, and they have an Onieda forum there too. real good guys to talk to.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You might wanna check out Monster Bows Phoenix model. For the price, its hard to beat for a non wheel compound bow. Very simple in design, from what ive read on posts...Its quiet, fast and pulls like no other compound bow out there. You can even set it from around 92% let off to 0% let off and its a 300 fps bow thats got a 8 3/4 or so brace height.

It'll be the next bow I own. :darkbeer:

www.monsterbows.com

Oh ya, and they have an Onieda forum there too. real good guys to talk to.
x2,

Now you've done it.

Hey Joe.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Oneida

They are just like any other bow, stuff happens. I have had 3, like them all very much. I dont think there is more maintanence on an oneida than any other bow. When you shell out 75 to 100 bucks for a harness and string for a wheel bow, the oneida cables are about 35 bucks and a string is 10. I would say thats a plus. You will go through several strings before you replace the cables depending on how much you shoot. They have their own tuning regiment that is simply different because they are different. Its something you learn just like any other bow. The "noise" issue you hear people talk about is usually related to shooting too light an arrow. I do know you can shoot heavier arrows with oneidas and it does not affect the speed as much as with most wheel bows. I would suggest you buy a new one. They are much lighter, much quieter and much more reliable than some of their older brothern. No other bows draw curve can match them, I hear people say their brand X speed demon pulls smooth blah blah blah, horse pucky, nothing pulls as smooth as an Onieda. End of that discussion. They come with a miriad of modules and you can get just about any draw curve you want from something that feels like a recure to 80% LO. 90% plus with a stealth model. You can go with older models you will just need to consult with someone like GulfCoast archery, they can make an older Oneida into your new best friend. I hope you give them a try, I will be shooting one till the end of my days.

BW AKA AngryMan

Stealth (not mine)

BE II (just sold to make room for an Aeroforce)

My Extreme

·
Registered
679 Posts
i bought a black eagle 2 this year.i liked somethings and didnt like others.likes were the draw.its very smooth,easy to change mods,seemed faster and hit harder then the actual cron speed.dislikes.couldnt use dropaway i wanted,(no buss cable),very loud,tried all the silenting stuff i could .nothing helped.it had a sharp snapping sound.and draw stops are junk, i kept going back and fourth with draw lengh mods because of this.they dont stay put. it wasnt as accurate as my other bows, l think because of this.you also need a extened sight, to see all of sight houseing.i really wanted to like this bow.but in the end i sold it and dont miss it at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts