Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Matt R
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up at 4:30am, it was raining cats and dogs so I went back to bed. Went ot this afternoon and evening, the wind was blowing so hard, you needed motion sickness medicine to sit in a tree! I stuck it out til dark and saw 2 nice does. The weather is so warm, I am waiting a little while to fill my freezer, so I let them go. Anyone else hunting in MN today? Tell us how it went!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I hunt in northern minnesota. Real rainy here too. Saw a few, but not what I am looking for. I am going out tomorrow morning no matter what because I have a business trip in Mexico next week and I will be gone for two weeks.

·
Banned
19,441 Posts
mfr22 said:
I woke up at 4:30am, it was raining cats and dogs so I went back to bed. Went ot this afternoon and evening, the wind was blowing so hard, you needed motion sickness medicine to sit in a tree! I stuck it out til dark and saw 2 nice does. The weather is so warm, I am waiting a little while to fill my freezer, so I let them go. Anyone else hunting in MN today? Tell us how it went!

That about sums up my MN opener hunt today too. I'm lucky enough to have wolves all over my primary hunting grounds right now, they aren't helping things:sad: I gotta change my plan.

·
Registered
128 Posts
opening day for you guys sucked
it probaly will be the same for the sd opener- just my luck

·
Registered
629 Posts
I lucked out this morning. I was in an area that was dry for the most part, a few drips here n there but nothing too bad. I was hunting a relatively new area and couldnt find the trail I wanted, so I ended up posting up on the corner of to logging trails. A nice doe walked out but didn't present a good shot. Went out this afternoon and didn't see a darn thing untill I was drivin home. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Having to work all weekend and can't wait to get out to my first bow hunt
With Respect - Moose

·
Registered
629 Posts
Went out again this morining. Man was it windy, didn't see a thing. Checked a spot on our property when I got home and sure enough there were fresh tracks in the mud. Looks like a took a ride in the truck when I should have walked across the road, bummer. Oh well, lots of season left. How did everyone else finish out?

·
Trophy Nanny Hunter
2,448 Posts
I went out yesterday morning. I jumped a couple in the dark. No more than got up the tree and it started to rain. I stayed until about 8 am when the lightning started. Bad outing all around.

I hit some state land that I've hunted for years for the evening hunt. It was hot and very windy. I was thankful for the wind though because it kept things comfortable and kept the bugs away. Problem was the darn wind kept swirling, for awhile it would be out of the south, then from the west, you get the idea.

I figured I wouldn't see anything until just before dark because of the high winds. That was right. Just about 7:25 or so I caught movement. Pulled up the binoculars it was a buck, looked to be still in velvet. His direction I knew he'd walk right past me. Too bad he was only a 2 year old. Nice buck, I let him pass. As the buck was coming out a doe and a fawn were making their way behind me. Problem was they got downwind and knew something wasn't right. They turned around and walked back into the timber. Just after that I had a spike running around. He ran right past my stand and went out into the field. I called him back in with a grunt. Then he walked back into the woods. Fun night.

I didn't go out this mornign it was raining and I didn't feel like dealing with that again.

·
Banned
19,441 Posts
Pouring rain again this morning, seems to have stopped now. Hitting the food plots this evening if the 25mph winds die down. Gotta remember it's only opening weekend. That's what I love about bow season. Warm and rain in the begining, snow and -10 in the end and everything in between. I'd hate to shoot the 15 point droptine that's been hanging around, this early in the game. I'd like to save him for a nice crisp October morning. You all know that postcard picture morning I'm talking about:)

Hang in there guys, it's early.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I went out last evening as well and the only thing I saw were mosquitos and nasty looking weather headed my way. Hoping that tonight will be good since it cooled off nice. Good luck to all and keep us posted on what your all seeing.

·
Wishin' I was in Montana
1,330 Posts
Put up with the rain yesterday morning as well.
Got out when the lightning started, however.
Saw 4 (does and fawns).
Might head out this afternoon after the Vikes game.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i shot a fawn doe yesterday at 7am then a adult doe at 744 am. i saw 7 more does and fawns that evening .and 1 fawn this morning. thats enough for the freezer time for the bucks:)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
hunt

Wind was wrong for my stand so I rode out with the others and took an alternate stand ( not build by me) ... jumped a deer as I approached- I had never been in this stand but was with the guy when we found the location so I knew how to get there. He had put the stand higher than I like but up I went. He hadn't done the fine work of clearing the bow zone or making a place to hang the bow so I hung the bow on a branch I knew was a little weak, just finished the last little branch when I heard the crash and 15 feet down lay my bow, standing up on the front sight.

I got down, nocked an arrow and drew the bow. It felt pretty good but I knew I couldn't hunt without knowing so I decided to still hunt and try for a Grouse, mostly killing time. Walked in this really thick bog and got my feet wet, then it started to rain. I had a deer snort at me and I just stood there for another hour. Finally compassed my way out to the road where there was a four-wheeler trail. I amused my self by standing two paces off the dirt trail just at the edge of the woods. The 4 wheelers passed in full view of me and my cammo, I waited for someone to pick me out but no one saw me. I was tempted to step out (would have scared em good) but I didn't, just stood there in the rain until the guys picked me up. Looking forward to Today's hunt.

·
Registered
76 Posts
opener...

The morning hunt didn't amount to anything other than a thunderstorm, but my buddy and i were fortunate enought to harvest to mature does last night...today and tomorrow look to be more ideal for some successful hunting.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Got out last night, dressed light, still sweating like a "Worken Girl" in church (Humidity). Put all my stuff into a blind I have set up in one of our fields. Then decided I would work the more down wind side of the field (153 yards away)and sit on a hang on stand. 45 minutes later a nice doe walks out of the woods and grazes 10-20 yards in front of said blind for about 30 min then works it way to the windward side of the field. Yo top it off I then hear the rest of the deer crew start coming through the wire being me. Winded me post haist. They goose stepped a bit, and snorted for about 10 min then left.

Your right its to warm to stick one right now anyway, can't let them hang for a day or two to age.

MN, Talked with Long Hair last PM and he filled me in on the the Drop Tine. I haven't seen him around in my sector as of yet. When I do, bring your camera with, and I'll even wear my purple gloves again.

·
Banned
19,441 Posts
firemedic5586 said:
Got out last night, dressed light, still sweating like a "Worken Girl" in church (Humidity). Put all my stuff into a blind I have set up in one of our fields. Then decided I would work the more down wind side of the field (153 yards away)and sit on a hang on stand. 45 minutes later a nice doe walks out of the woods and grazes 10-20 yards in front of said blind for about 30 min then works it way to the windward side of the field. Yo top it off I then hear the rest of the deer crew start coming through the wire being me. Winded me post haist. They goose stepped a bit, and snorted for about 10 min then left.

Your right its to warm to stick one right now anyway, can't let them hang for a day or two to age.

MN, Talked with Long Hair last PM and he filled me in on the the Drop Tine. I haven't seen him around in my sector as of yet. When I do, bring your camera with, and I'll even wear my purple gloves again.

I talked with Tom last night too. Someone posted pics of it at Outdoor A. He thought it was me and I was holding out on him. Have a feeling it may be filling up on acorns in a certain stand of oaks but I may be wrong:wink: I heard it rivals the great buck you shot last year:eek:

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Went out this evening and got skunked again. One of the worst bow openers I've ever had. Two days of hunting and not a deer to be seen. Think the weather has a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
yea not the best weekend i've had... got out early opener, jumped one right next to my stand and started off getting busted.. then when it was just getting light a doe got up and walked into the thicker pines about 15 feet from where i walked in. Then it started pouring... and poured some more... and then more after that. I decided to take it easy sunday morning then headed out this evening and didn't see anything.. at least i didn't get rained on though :shade: lots of season left :darkbeer:

·
Ya hey
1,437 Posts
mfr22 said:
I woke up at 4:30am, it was raining cats and dogs so I went back to bed. Went ot this afternoon and evening, the wind was blowing so hard, you needed motion sickness medicine to sit in a tree!
That was pretty much my opening day too. Saw nine does saturday, a few inside 20, but they all seemed to know where my shooting lanes were and avoided them. Sunday was similar. Saw four all together. The only clear shot came up from behind me too fast and caught me flat-footed. No chance to draw and there she is - 16 yards, wide open shot. When she finally eased behind a piece of cover and gave me a chance to draw, she never came back out. Oh, well. Great to be back in a stand again. Deer or no deer, a few hours in the woods is a tonic for my soul.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I didn't go out Saturday since it rained most of the day and the wind was blowing pretty hard. I was also waiting for some cooler weather before I headed out.

I probably shouldn't have gone out at all with the luck I was having getting ready to go. I was in the basement getting dressed and I pulled up my camo pants. Went to zip up the zipper and it got stuck. I tried to get it to move with a pair of pliers and I ended up ripping the pants in half. I ended up wearing jeans instead. Then I got halfway to the hunting land only to remember that I forgot the straps for my hang on stand. Then when I got out in the woods I forgot my small saw to trim up some branches.

So anyway I went out after the Vikes game on some state land that I have had good luck at (no private for me this year). I was up in my stand and still around 4:45 or so. About 5:30 I heard some snorting and blowing coming towards me up wind and a small yearling/fawn ran into my shooting lane. It stopped and turned around looking up wind into the woods broadside from me about 25 yards. I figured that ole mom would be coming through next so I stood up and got ready. As I was watching the first fawn I saw movement right below my stand. Here was another fawn walking right towards the first one. Then came mom down the hill right towards the fawns. I thought for sure she was going to walk right into my shooting lane but she stayed out in the brush about 40 yards and stopped. The fawns ran over to her and they silently disappeared into the woods. I never saw them again.

All in all I thought it was a good night. At least I saw some deer first time out which is always a good sign.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts