Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You wait all year for opening day of the bow season and I sit typing on the net. Why not be out there, well it seems the gods have given us heavy rain and winds up to 45 mile a hour for this opening day. So this fat old bowhunter will sit in the house looking out the window and plan on hunting on other days god willing...Overnight we have almost lost all the leaves off the trees, so this should help give us a btter look.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I did the same thing this morning Bill. The buck I am after isn't going to move much in that high wind/heavy rain. Friday looks good though.
If the winds die down enough this evening I might slip out for a few hours. Good luck to all you NY'ers.

·
Registered
937 Posts
opening day

this morning i braved the weather and went out. until about 730am it wasnt bad bit of rain and a slight breeze , i managed to spy a 4 point this morning. then all hell broke loose here i am. typing on the net lol.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I wasnt able to go out this morning but my 2 cousins were up at our property and didnt see any deer but 1 had a bear 30 yards and didnt present a shot. Then just got a phone call and a buddy just got a 300+ bear, said no deer moving and then all of a sudden the bear showed up.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well, you bunch of lightweights, I braved the elements and went out and took a doe this morning - I wouldn't want those nuisance permits to get too old, now would I??? Nothing spectacular - about 135lbs, but REAL good for the freezer!!! It was a 20 yard broadside shot - the deer ran about 45 yards before falling over - I LOVE it when they do that!!! Anyways, gotta admit it was pretty crappy out, but I gave it a shot, anyways... BTW, I took my best bow killed buck on a day like this...

- georgestrings(who'll be butchering tomorrow)

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Congrats George. I was all set at 4:00am, but that wind and rain was whipping @ 40mph here, and I knew does and skippers would be about the only thing I would see. I bet you were holding on to that tree pretty tight! Enjoy those tenderloins. Looks like Friday will be my day, with some PM hunts today or tomorrow depending on when this high wind lets up.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Georgestrings,
Don't NYS Nuisance permits expire October 1st? :rolleyes:

OH! I bet you have those yearlong, recycleable permits! ;) :D

Bo

·
Registered
852 Posts
Mel - Thanks, buddy - I know what you mean about the wind - it was "a little" breezy, to say the least... Even though it looks like I'll have the whole season off to hunt, I couldn't wait to get out to one of my "hotspots" - I don't scout much these days, having hunted most of my properties for a few years - I know pretty much what to expect - I kinda combine early season hunting with a little scouting for the rut... I think it was curiosity more than anything that got me out this morning... I really wasn't expecting much, and am ALWAYS happy to take a decent doe... I'm in it for the meat, to be sure... Best of luck to you, bud - I'll probably get out thursday afternoon, and all day friday...

Bo - I would never do anything to threaten my hunting privilages - believe me... I'm looking at the tag as I type, and it says:

This tag is valid during any open season within the following dates -

Northern Zone - Oct 1, 2003 to Dec 7, 2003

Southern Zone - Oct 15, 2003 to Dec 16, 2003

Suffolk Co, WMU-1C - Oct 1, 2003 to Dec 31, 2003

Special WMU-1C season - Jan 5-30, 2004

Westchester Co, WMU-3S - Nov 1, 2003 to Dec 31, 2003

So, I think I'm good to go...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
852 Posts
Thanks, JAVE - I would already have it skinned, strapped, and quartered, but it's still coming down pretty good at the moment, and blowing like a SOB... It's only 40 degrees, though - it won't hurt the deer any to hang outside overnight(got 'er raised up so that the 'yotes can't get 'er)... Guess the cavity will be well aired out, and rain washed... A couple of wash-outs in this part of the season are no biggie - in my area, the bowhunting doesn't get all that good until the last week of october 'til the shotgun opener - those weeks are PRIME TIME!!! I had to get out today, though - I was just itching to hang something from my tree out back...

- georgestrings

1 - 10 of 10 Posts