Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying, it was a little hot but I had a great opening day. I saw some deer and enjoyed being out.
The bad news is that I got busted by 1 of a group of 2 yearlings 25 yards out straight with her nose. As soon as she got straight out from me, she lifted up her nose in the air, looked and sniffed, then busted me a blew and ran off taking everything with her even the squirrels.
I took a shower with dead down wind soap, washed my clothes in DDW detergent, and sprayed before hitting the woods with the field spray. I also decided for the PM hunt Id take my new Thermacell and try it out.
I may have sweated a little but not to get busted like that (by yearlings, no less), just doesnt seem right. I cannot conclusively say that the Thermacell is what busted me, but I can say that it will not accompany me on my next trip.
Like I said, I learned from it and still had a great time. Let me know if any of you guys have had different results or what you think could have happened. If I get busted next time without it, Ill know that I stink:pukey:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have used a thermacell a lot and have never been busted with it. Have had many deer down wind while using it, none of them were bothered by it, if they did smell it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I hunt with mine every time I go out. I will never hunt without it again. i have never been busted before due to the thermacell. I love it. One of the best inventions in my opinion. Just my 2 cents. Happy Hunting.:)
Robbie

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
thermacell

i have used one for 2 years and have never had a problem.i have killed many deer inside 25 yards with one on.i have killed hogs and a coyote.sometimes they just know you are there.i hunt in the low grounds so if you don't use one it is really hard to hunt early season.i stop using it when it turns cooler.try a few drops of deer pee on the wick. good luck, gary

·
Banned
333 Posts
I use a thermacell when its hot. - a lot- skeeters are bad in middle georgia.
I have used them for many, many years. I have taken quite a few whitetails at 10m yards & they were down wind, never smelled it!!
maybe try spraying no scent on the plastic or could- most likely - be something else they smelled.
Dan :)

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
If I get busted next time without it, Ill know that I stink
Yea you do; and I do too; and there aint nothing any DDW, scentlock, or any spray gonna do to change that.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jerry/NJ said:
You didnt happen to let one sneak out did ya?
Naah, Good question. I forgot to mention I also chewed on some mint leaves from my wifes herb garden :confused:
I cant recall ever being busted from as far away as 25 yards. There was no wind. Maybe that had something to do with it?

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Dead Down Wind is junk. It does nothing to human scent. I'm gona keep saying this everytime someone mentions this worhless product. It contains nothing to control or prevent human oder. Don't be fooled by the product claims and marketing. Their science is bull crap. ESP is bullcrap. Dead Down Wind is bull crap.

You got busted cuss you basically did nothing to control your scent with this worthless junk.

·
saskarcher
5,124 Posts
any time a deer smells ANYTHING out of place ,,,it will respond!!
sometimes I wonder how we ever get to get them at all!!
around here the deer are on pins and needles all the time!!! anything out of the ordinary will send them packin,,, movement, scent,,,anything,,, I'd hate to live like that!!! lol

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Not only will you stink as well next time but you'll be moving around swatting them skeeter's!

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
skyhunter said:
Yea you do; and I do too; and there aint nothing any DDW, scentlock, or any spray gonna do to change that.
Yep. IMO, if the skeeters are that bad, use some repellent. If the deer smells the repellent, it was going to smell you no matter what kind of gyrations you go thru to avoid it. I have killed many deer, hogs, and bears while using bug spray.

·
Relocated Cajun
10,974 Posts
I may have sweated a little but not to get busted like that
any sweating will do it....I been busted by hogs with no thermacell, no wind...30 yards out...they smell better than deer but I had one come closer when I had the thermacell the week before...go figure...

had you not sweated and been in scent free scent lok from head to toe then maybe you could blame the thermacell :wink: :tongue:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hey this is a one time got busted incident and you are ready to change everything, good grief. Think about it chances are you would have not even seen these deer if it would not have been for the thermalcell. with the movement of swatting at skeeters the yearlings would have spotted the movement a distance away, because it would have looked like you were marshalling in aircraft.
One thing you mentioned in your post that summed what happen, plain and simple, and that was they were down wind at 25 yards away. I do not care there is no scent loc suit, scent elminator spray, or cover scent that is going to the best nose in the land from smelling you down wind every time.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys

You guys are right. I have thought about this over the weekend and cant blame the thermacell entirely. One MAJOR factor was probably poor stand placement, more important than scent control. The selection of good straight trees in this area is limited, and I was sticking out like a sore thumb. If he had just smelled, but not seen, things may have been different also. I think it was a couple of things combined together that got me busted. Like I said, this was a learning experience for me.
I do think it might be a bad idea to take the thermacell back to this particular spot however. If the deer smells a similar scent to last time, wouldnt it trigger the same response again?

·
The Impartial Archer
18,322 Posts
inatree said:
You guys are right. I have thought about this over the weekend and cant blame the thermacell entirely. One MAJOR factor was probably poor stand placement, more important than scent control. The selection of good straight trees in this area is limited, and I was sticking out like a sore thumb. If he had just smelled, but not seen, things may have been different also. I think it was a couple of things combined together that got me busted. Like I said, this was a learning experience for me.
I do think it might be a bad idea to take the thermacell back to this particular spot however. If the deer smells a similar scent to last time, wouldnt it trigger the same response again?
No. I think its human nature to blame the thing that is NOT part of your normal routine. If you didn't have the Thermocell you would have probably come to this conclusion quicker. I would have done the same thing. But I can tell you I have used the Thermocell a few times and had deer around me so I have no hesitation using it again. I am a BIG believer in NO scent more than cover up scent but you can't eliminate it all with ANY product IMO. Look at it this way you will spook more deer swatting at the bugs than the thermocell will I promise.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had a doe and fawn walk within two yards of my stand last week and I was using my thermacell, they never did wind me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts