Archery Talk Forum banner

location, location, location

Opening Day. What location are you hunting first?

895 16
What stand location are you hunting opening day/week?
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,100 Posts
Mine is actually a food source and funnel. I will be hunting a little finger of hardwoods that go out in to about a 100 acre cutover. They are really starting to feed on the white Oak acorns. Here is a pic I took with my camera of some of the tracks in the creek.

· Registered
92 Posts
I usually hunt near the bedding areas in the morning. In the evening I like to hunt the staging areas. They're kind of funnels, on the edge of a 20' by 30' mowed feeding path where they wait to get to the real feeding grounds. So, I hunt a little bit of everything I guess.

· Registered
456 Posts
I voted to feild edge but it is kind of a combination of that and food source. I am going to climb a pine just off the edge of our peanut fields very early opening morning and see if I can catch them coming off the field at sunrise. If that does not pan out I am going to hunt between the bedding area and the peanut fields that afternoon see if I can catch one slipping onto the field early.

· Registered
6,267 Posts
Be near the bedding area EARLY (well before sunrise), and wait for the perfect ambush spot on that big buck heading back to home from a night of eating..:wink:

· Registered
2,946 Posts
On the edge of a standing corn field...

· Born To Hunt
6,149 Posts
Opening Day

I will be hunting in a Pop Up Blind on the edge of a 80 acre woods over looking a farm road that goes all around the woods, overlooking a bean field, turkey opens the same day as deer and is only open till the 19th and I concentrate on getting a turkey till it closes, will also shoot a deer, if the right one comes along.

· Registered
1,523 Posts
I voted bedding area

I have been debating this for weeks now. I will definitely be on a travel route from food to bed in the morning and then closer to a food source in the afternoon. We have a lot of stands, so which ones will depend on the wind.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.