Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I've heard people say bows before the switch weight mods had a much nicer draw, that the draw was made worse once that tech was added.

Smooth and speed are nearly in opposition of each other. Bows that draw smooth are typically slower, and smooth is very relative to each person.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
If you can find an old Ultra 2 or Black Max 2 you will be very happy.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Buddy had one around 2000(I think it's was a Black Max) and it was super smooth and the quietest bow I've ever heard. Can't remember how the speed was but it was good for the time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Love this question! I think the used Mathews I've been looking at are more like 2007-2015, but I too was wondering about draw cycle (and let-off/feel) of the "older" bows.

·
Registered
Mathews Traverse
49 Posts
DXT. Bought it brand new. It rolled over smooth as silk. It was the single hardest shooting bow I ever owned. My Brother-in-law owns it now and when we shoot together, his arrows bury 4 or 5 inches deeper than my traverse at the same poundage and draw weight. I shot a lot of 3D with it from 2009-2013. I shot Easton fatboys during 3D season and shot one pin to like 33 yards or something around there if I'm remembering correctly. It had blazing speed for the date it was produced. But it was a short bow axel to axel and was not real forgiving...Awesome for a tree stand or ground blind though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just drug out my Switchback. It is nearly the most accurate bow I have ever owned (Z7 was surprising for short length). Really made me realize the hump/dump of my V3 31. The V3 is way quieter and more accurate but I do have a 17” front and 8” back bar on it. 26.75” draw, 367.8 grain arrow 240 fps @ 57.3# w/ Switchback vs 254 fps @ 54# w/ V3 31. The V3 is a better bow- it pulls harder pound for pound but it is also quieter and shock free.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
The Switchback is smooth and quiet, the Drenalin is basically a lighter/faster Switchback if I remember correctly, can't go wrong with either. I feel that for speed wise my newer mathews can reach speeds at 60# that the SB needed 70# to reach, but those SB solo cams are as smooth as today's bows. Also, don't get too hung up on speed if using for whitetail hunting, the SB and Drenalin had no problems getting passthroughs on whitetail and filled many many tags over the years and still do.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts