Archery Talk Forum banner

Opinion please

490 3
Has anybody made their first elk hunt a diy/drop camp and had success and then the next hunt used a guide. If so, I am wanting to hear your opinions on the good and bad of getting the guide. Preparing for the dromp camp hunt I put in tons of hours in research, reading, fittness, shooting and spending money. I was successful getting a 5x5 and more than happy. Hard work before and during the hunt payed off. What are the chances of getting a bigger bull with a guide? Do the guides give education? Thanks for all.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Has anybody made their first elk hunt a diy/drop camp and had success and then the next hunt used a guide. If so, I am wanting to hear your opinions on the good and bad of getting the guide. Preparing for the dromp camp hunt I put in tons of hours in research, reading, fittness, shooting and spending money. I was successful getting a 5x5 and more than happy. Hard work before and during the hunt payed off. What are the chances of getting a bigger bull with a guide? Do the guides give education? Thanks for all.
Depending on the outfitter and where you hunt your almost guaranteed a bigger bull.But alot of that is up to you.You'll have to let the service know before hand what your looking for and what kind of hunt you expect.
They need to know so they can put you in the right area to provide you the opportunity at a bigger bull if one exsists.

Due to the commercialization of the industry I might suggest you stay away from your average "Colorado" hunt.

Maybe try a Montana wilderness hunt.

One of my guys at the shop guides every season for a Montana service.... A Lazy H outfitters.He is a very stand up honest man,every season he comes back telling his stories...and boasting of a 80+% success for his customers.
Thus every season a couple returning customers want him as their guide:)

Alot of it comes back on you if you want a bigger bull....he also tells many stories of how the customer is initially looking for a big bull....but barely out of camp they cross paths with a smaller bull and the customer insists on THAT bull!

Find a good outfitter(and check them out),in a known productive area.Set your standards....and stick to them!

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Elk..........

Helpful tip.....next elk thread you start,make sure you put the word elk in the title...you'll get alot more hits! Tons of elk hunters in the forum.:)
Good luck!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm a diy hunter and have been for ever:wink: If getting a bigger bull than your first, stay with it where you hunted and learn the area's. ( learn to pass on the bulls less desired and keep looking for the one that's right for you?)
You will have hunts that you'll have tag soup and the hunt of a life time to remember when that time happens:wink: Unless you have the money to spend than go with a guide and ask them for phone numbers of past clients to talk to and ask a lot of questions before giving any money! Also you can call the state you're going to hunt and find out if there has been any complaint against them! Guess all I'm saying do your home work and double check before handing any money out!

Good luck in your quest for the big bull ELK:wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.