Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any and all opinions related to Prime Bows especially the Impact for myself and the Shift for the wife.

How do they tune? (ie do they tune like a hoyt or like a Mathews)

Are the speeds as advertised?

How do they shoot as far as recoil?

If you switched to a Prime why and would you do it again?

Is the string and cable replacement warranty any good?

Basically anything you can give me for info. I am seriously looking into making the switch but the nearest dealer to me is 2 1/2 hours away, so if I am going to travel that from I want as much info on them as I can.

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,115 Posts
I've set up and shot a few. Never chronographed one after tuning.

No real setup issues. Pretty straight forward and simple.

They are a bit heavy but the new ones are lighter, at least from a perceived point.

One of them may be my next bow.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I switched from hoyt to prime and could not be more happy. They tuned more easily, they are more quiet, and just as dead on the shot. They have binary cams so tuning is the same as elite would, but you dont have to worry about cam lean. G5 has the BEST customer service in the business hands down. Yes the string warranty is good and they do build a good set for their bows. Just that alone is a $100 value that you won't get with any other company, G5 is the only one in the industry to offer a free set of strings installed on your bow for nothing. They are great bows and a great company, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
They are one of the easiest bows to tune and almost always hit IBO numbers. I had one that didn't, but not sure it was the bow's fault. Very forgiving of spine and seem to hold rock solid on target. Finish and strings are top notch.

Only negatives about the bow are that the weights are a little higher than similar bows (does help with holding on target though) and the price. Other than that they are IMO the manufacturer to beat. Close second would be elite bows. Lots of good ones there too.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I went from a Hoyt Vector Turbo (very nice) to a Prime Impact. The Prime Impact is no joke, the design they use does everything they say it does. I judge a bow on how it holds on target, and how the rest and pin line up. Mine are down the center after I was done setting it up. I'm glad I went with this bow for 2013. Has a little weight to it but I can handle it.

·
Registered
12,169 Posts
I think that string replacement every 2 years is overrated. Alot of people change them out for custom strings anyways and alot of people resell after 2 years. The warranty is also not transferrable, but the bows itself are great. I loved them, it just sucks that the cams are specific to the DL.

·
Come on October!!!!
3,070 Posts
I think that string replacement every 2 years is overrated. Alot of people change them out for custom strings anyways and alot of people resell after 2 years. The warranty is also not transferrable, but the bows itself are great. I loved them, it just sucks that the cams are specific to the DL.
No different than Mathews, makes a better performing bow. Cannot see how they could incorporate a mod into that design. They tune like any other binary system. Choose the correct arrow spine and you will be fine. They hold well, have very little hand shock(recoil?) and are not heavy at all as they balance very well. Best back wall in the business. String warranty, if you do not want custom strings it is pretty good, otherwise it is a non issue. The quality and thought behind these bows is terrific. The company actually listens to it's customers then implements changes.

·
Registered
12,169 Posts
Definitely very llittle hand shock, are you saying that Matthews cams are specific to the DL also? I just find it annoying when buying used bows or going to a shop and they don't have the right cams in stock.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I switched from a Mathews MR8 to an Impact a few weeks ago, and I am so glad I did. The Impact paper tuned in 3 shots and is stacking arrows. I have a Doinker DISH on mine with an 8 degree down angle and the bow holds rock steady at full draw. I love the way it draws and shoots- smooth and quiet. I haven't shot it through a chrono but I don't need to. It's fast...that's enough for me.

And yes, I would buy another without a doubt.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Besides the 3pc. string being a tricky one to set up (slight rotation and it will de-rail) the Primes are one of the best bows you can buy today. Absolutely magic to shoot. I would love to shoot the Prime One. My Centroid is just hanging there until i get cams for my DL. They are currently lost in the mail system. I am excited to shoot mine at the correct draw length! I set it up with a long string/short cable setup to get the most DL possible and i can get 98% letoff with the stops set all the way back. Its pretty crazy! The riser is extremely rigid. The bow is completely shock free and shoots VERY straight.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I also just switched from a Mathews MR7 to a Prime Impact. Like stated above I couldn't be happier. The Impact is the best shooting bow I have had thus far. Mine is set at 59lbs with a 308gr arrow shooting 305fps thru the cronograph.

·
Registered
609 Posts
its not overrated for those of us who dont feel like dropping a grand on a new bow every year.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I don't get the weight issue with Primes that people bring up. I have a Centroid LR (4.0 lbs, and lighter than my Bowtech). The Shift is listed at 3.7 lbs. I realize the Impact is slightly more, but I've never held one to know what it feels like. The 2011 Prime models were a little heavier.

For comparision, the Hoyt Spyder 34 is also 4.0 lbs, and the Spyder 30 is 3.8 lbs. The Mathews Creed is 3.9 lbs and the ZXT is 4.2 lbs, and their MR series are all around 4.5 lbs. The Bowtech CPXL is 4.4 lbs and the Experience is 4.2 lbs.

These brands are all in the same weight ballpark for a ~34" ATA bow and a ~30" ATA bow.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I had a 2012 Shift that did NOT tune as easily as some of the other guys who have Primes on here. In order to get mine to shoot bareshafts with fp's I had to have my rest WAAAY outside of center, well over an inch away from riser. And there was no room to shim cams over to fix that. I don't know what was wrong with mine, I think they are great bows and would like to try another one, just a little worried that I will run into the same thing with a new one. I also like a little bit narrower grip myself than the Primes have now. Just a little word of caution that I ran into personally.
I am certainly not bashing Primes, I think they are great bows, and would definitely try another one.

·
Registered
12,169 Posts
its not overrated for those of us who dont feel like dropping a grand on a new bow every year.
Well bowstrings run $50. Id rather save that $50 and get a custom one. I mean over 4 years thats $100 you save, not very good of a bargain in my book. Id much rather have 10% off the purchase of another Prime bow.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
I went from a Bowtech 340 to a Prime Centroid and couldn't be happier . I love the draw cycle,solid wall ,very little hand shock and had mine tuned in a few arrows.A tack driver for sure. Looking forward to getting an Impact!

·
The Rut Rascal
1,744 Posts
I eat PRIME Rib with my Hoyt hahaha

In all honesty I have shot a couple and they seem nice coming from a Hoyt guy. I would not kick one out of the stable if it were there.

·
Come on October!!!!
3,070 Posts
Definitely very llittle hand shock, are you saying that Matthews cams are specific to the DL also? I just find it annoying when buying used bows or going to a shop and they don't have the right cams in stock.
Yes

1 - 20 of 39 Posts