Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to get some outside opinions on if I should let my nephew take a shot at a deer or not. My 8yo nephew is on fire about hunting-specifically bow hunting. He has no interest in killing a deer with a rifle, although he has done so. It's all he talks about, and the only thing he watches on TV is hunting shows. I obviously want to encourage him. This past June, I bought him a Bear Apprentice 2 bow for his birthday. He has been shooting it just about everyday since then and is surprisingly good out to 20 yards.

His current settings are 19 in draw length pulling 36 lbs w/o having to strain too much (he does gymnastics and is pretty strong in his upper body). His arrow is a Beman ICS Hunter Jr-cant remember the length, but weighs 296gr with an 85gr field point. His arrow is shooting about 153 FPS. I have read varying opinions on KE on this site but it only calculates out to 15.4.

Here is South Carolina, there are no restrictions on minimum draw wt/length, speed, KE, etc. I have taken him bow hunting with me but never in a situation where he is going to shoot a deer, and he has been begging me to let him give it a try. The last thing I want to do is take an unethical shot or have him wound a deer. I have a ground blind set up on a food plot where deer often feed within 10-15 yrds of the blind. If I did let him shoot a deer, I was planning on tipping his arrow with a Magnus Stinger 2 blade broadhead.

I have been leaning towards making him wait until next season. I have talked to various friends-some say wait and others say go for it. So, with all that being said, would you guys let him take a shot at a deer w/in 15 yards with the above set up or not?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
honestly, imo no.

But on the other hand if he can make the shot in 10 out of 10 shots on a 3D deer, then id change it to a maybe.

and at least have a go at something a bit smaller/easier to kill so you have an idea how he reacts when he is that close to prey with a bow.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I would set up a field target aspire size as I could get and have him try. If he does good on the fake deer. Let him at the real ones.

·
Registered
51,147 Posts
"If" your confidant he can hit his mark at 20 yards and less I would say let him go for it. He has the correct set up and poundage to take a whitetail, with a properly placed arrow and a scary sharp broadhead.
Example we had a young lady 8 years old last year take second place in our youth contest take an 8 point with 28# and the same head poked the broadhead through the other side under 20 yards.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
imo no, the very last thing he needs is to catch a rib and make his first shot a non lethal wounding one. I would give it another year personally.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
shot placement is everything soo if he can consistently send an arrow in the sweet spot and the deer is very close, then I think he should be good. but we all know practice and hunting are two very different situations.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
If it were me, I'd take him deer hunting.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
I think his setup is enough to kill a deer, but if he is not prepared enough to make a good shot I'd hate to have his first hunting experience be a negative one and ruin him or turn him off from hunting.

·
Yeah I'd shot that one...
1,759 Posts
If he can hit the vitals with a sharp broadhead he will kill the deer at 15 yards. If he can't consistantly then he should wait.

Shooting a deer is not the same as shooting a 3D target but you say he has already shot one with a rifle????

I would put him in the blind with his bow. You should know if he can make the shot. Kids need to hunt. Tip a Beman ICS with a sharp broad head and put it through the lungs or heart. Deer down even from a 36# shot.

Anyone can make a bad shot with any set up........let the kid hunt is my advice.

CG

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
screw a rubber blumt on the arrow and let him shoot at a deer,good practice,won`t hurt the deer,and he can see what its about.good luck

·
Airborne Archery
9,089 Posts
imo no, the very last thing he needs is to catch a rib and make his first shot a non lethal wounding one. I would give it another year personally.
I agree with this.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sounds like the almost exact set-up my son used when he was 8 to kill a few deer. One was a spine shot that put a mature buck down. The other two were clean passthrus at 15 and 12 yards. I think his draw was 20" and he was shooting a Parker Buckshot with maxed out 30lb limbs(about 33lbs). All shots were taken from a tree stand in a suburban setting-deer were totally calm and feeding-except for the big buck which came to grunting/rattling right at dark. He practiced alot too mostly at a R&W 3d deer at 10,15 and 20 yds so he knew the difference-and it is substantial with that set-up. Only caution is regarding the ground blind. I would have never guessed a doe could drop out of the way of a arrow shot at the heart in 12yds unless I saw it with my own eyes. Whether or not you and your nephew should go is up to you and your best judgement-I'm glad I got to experience that with my son before he started chasing "does" on his own (he's 17 now)and doesn't really care much for sitting in a tree with dad

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
Small sharp fixed blade and good shot placement and he will be in business. If he hits it in the vitals then you have a dead deer. If he shoots it in the guts it doesn't matter what poundage he was shooting. If he hits it in front shoulder etc then the arrow won't penetrate and the deer lives. Live is short, now lets go hunting!!!

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
If he is good on shot placement, I would say go for it. Next fall will be my son's first with a bow. He is shooting the same arrow with his Mission Menace. He is shooting 22" draw at about 34 lbs. This will be more than enough to take a deer IMHO as long has he has good placement.

I have considered backing him up with my own bow when the time comes, but this could also discourage him. I know the same process drove me away from gun hunting....my dad would always shoot just after I did and one year, it was his bullet that killed the deer....I completely missed.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
If he is a good shot and can hit the lungs, make sure he has rules. Aim for lungs, away from shoulder, make sure it's within 15-20 yards no exceptions and he doesn't shoot unless you say ok. Should be ok if he can hit it where he should.

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
Shot placement is key. 85 grain broad heads exist, so that's not an issue. If he can consistently hit what he's aiming for, go for it!

·
Back Yard Champion
29,781 Posts
Shot placement is everything. And besides, forgetting my opinion, with the yo-yos I've seen hunting, what the heck, give him a go. &^%$% neighbor thinks he can shoot one in the azzzzz and thinks it should have been a killing shot.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I say yes. Sharp heads. Less than 15 yards and only if shot situation is perfect. Let er rip

1 - 20 of 68 Posts