Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advise for 3D binos based on your experience. Not brand specific but magnification 8x42...10x50 ect... Thanks

Reactions: Fueyo28

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have a pair of Vortex Viper HD 12x50’s and Zeiss Conquest 8x42’s that I go back and forth between. I am thinking about selling the 12x50’s and getting a quality pair of 10x42’s. The quality of glass in my 8x42’s is substantially better than my 12x50’s and I think I’d be happier with a 10 power quality set.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Good glass at a lower mag level beats mediocre glass at a higher mag level. 10x42 works well, but 10x50 is better. I use a pair of Swaro 10x30's and they work great in everything but lower lighting conditions. Thats when I wish I had 10x42+.

Also great advice above from @DeerCook ...higher end optics retain their resell value.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
I have a 10x42 for general glassing. This works well out west, without being too heavy and cumbersome to easily pack around for miles. In GA, for bowhunting whitetails, in treestands, I'm leaning toward going back to 8x42, for better close range, low light definition, 10 minutes for legal shooting time ends. Optics size choice, all depends on the conditions.

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
Kind of depends on the quality of the bino. Vortex Viper type quality 10X42 is a nice bino with good crisp and bright image. Cheaper binos will probably benefit from the larger objective providing a larger exit pupil. I personally prefer high quality 8x30ish binos. My favorite is the Swarovski CL 8x30. FWIW: I live in So Idaho and glassing a couple miles away is not uncommon. 8 or 10X binos are fine to find the critters but it takes a decent spotter to see details.

Reactions: Coach56

·
Shootin and Cussin
26,033 Posts
10x50 all the way for me and targets, 3D or spots.

·
Genesis 21:20
24,895 Posts
You can resolve more detail with a high quality pair of 8x32's than you can with a medium quality pair of 10x50's.

Everyone talks about magnification and objective size as if they are the only things that matter. Resolving power matters most, then objective (light gathering), then magnification - in that order.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
I have a 8x42 because I like am the field of view but they are vortex razor uhd. I would love a 10x42 for 3D maybe a swaro set one day

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
You can resolve more detail with a high quality pair of 8x32's than you can with a medium quality pair of 10x50's.

Everyone talks about magnification and objective size as if they are the only things that matter. Resolving power matters most, then objective (light gathering), then magnification - in that order.
You are assuming that everyone that bought higher power bino went cheap. In the same class, 12x will show you more than 8x.

Will the 12x be too much is the question.

When I shop for glass I goe somewhere I can put them in my hands and compare real time. I have a pair of 8x and a pair of 12x. Both were the best that I could put my hands on at the time, for my eyes. I can see more with the 12x, but hunt with the 8x because the extra magnification isn't needed where I hunt.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Higher mag objectives means even slightest movements are magnified by that objective power i.e. to see clearly with 10 X ? requires a much more steady hand than 8X ? Just something to keep in mind-- unless your targets are great distances you can see pretty well with 8X? . As LW said resolution and lense quality are more important than simple magnification. I have a 20-60 X spotting scope that is so sensitive to slight vibrations it is a trick to look through it without bumping it and jiggling the image so mag isn't everything. Eye relief is also important-more is better- so you don't have to jam your eye up against the eye piece/objective especially at higher mags.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Higher mag objectives means even slightest movements are magnified by that objective power i.e. to see clearly with 10 X ? requires a much more steady hand than 8X ? Just something to keep in mind-- unless your targets are great distances you can see pretty well with 8X? . As LW said resolution and lense quality are more important than simple magnification. I have a 20-60 X spotting scope that is so sensitive to slight vibrations it is a trick to look through it without bumping it and jiggling the image so mag isn't everything. Eye relief is also important-more is better- so you don't have to jam your eye up against the eye piece/objective especially at higher mags.
I disagree with the comment about needing the target to be a great distance to need more than 8x. In 3d, which is what the op is asking about, even at 35 or 40 yards, lines are hard to see at times with 8x, even high end glass. Most serious 3d guys are using 10x at least.

·
I do all my own stunts
671 Posts
I have a pair of Nikon 10.5x45 that I really like for 3D and open country viewing but when bowhunting my backpack has a pair of Minox 8x32 that I carry due to physical size.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was hesitant for many year, but the saying you get what you pay for is really true in optics!!!
I just bought a pair of Swarovski and man what a difference!!!!!!
I went with 8X42 because I use them in the field also, but each time I look through them, I cannot believe the clarity.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I was hesitant for many year, but the saying you get what you pay for is really true in optics!!!
I just bought a pair of Swarovski and man what a difference!!!!!!
I went with 8X42 because I use them in the field also, but each time I look through them, I cannot believe the clarity.
Out of curiosity, did you get to compare them to other brands before you bought, or did you buy them online?

The reason I ask is I went in with the intent on buying a pair of Swaro's and ended up leaving with something different. There is no doubt they are great, but my eyes had a hard time telling a big difference between them and glass that was almost have the price. We shoot with a guy that bought a pair that has said he can see just as good with his Zeiss'.

Again, awesome glass, but not for everyone's eyes.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts