Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being I'm going to be cobbling a bow together for my daughter for target shooting, I'm curious of peoples opinions on which blade style rests to consider. I've only used the fall aways, the HDX ultra rest specifically, but I do like the idea of a "non-mechanical" rest for her considering containment isn't really as much a concern for target shooting. I appreciate the feedback - Thanks

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
I have 3 bows with the AAE Pro Blade. The ProBlade has micro adjust knobs which is nice, but not required. I like the hexagon mounting system on the blades, always vertical and the blades are plentiful. How old is your daughter? Blades take some getting used to and don't work as well with small diameter arrows and heavier poundage (hard to keep the arrow on the rest during draw). Look for a used one, I have bought some for $50 used.

·
Shootin and Cussin
23,604 Posts
I have 3 bows with the AAE Pro Blade. The ProBlade has micro adjust knobs which is nice, but not required. I like the hexagon mounting system on the blades, always vertical and the blades are plentiful. How old is your daughter? Blades take some getting used to and don't work as well with small diameter arrows and heavier poundage (hard to keep the arrow on the rest during draw). Look for a used one, I have bought some for $50 used.
I agree with this but I do think they are required. At least for me they are.

I really like the AAE but the new Hamskea blades are really nice. They are what took me away from AAE.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Here's another vote for Spot Hogg for what you're doing.
Tough as nails, does not have the "micro" adjust, but for the intended use it's more than adequate.

I'm a fan of the DS advantage because of the quality and consistent micro adjust ability.
Your daughter needs to be able to draw smooth and consistent to keep it on the blade...and know what/how to react if it falls off.
This is somewhat minimized with a shoot through riser (the let down process) but if the arrow wants to take off to the left (RH shooter) or right (LH shooter) it can be a little nerve racking.

Good luck!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She's 11 and shooting in a JOAD group. She's fairly methodical in her draw at this point and takes instruction pretty well. She's only shooting just north of 30lbs

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Bodoodle switch blade target for me hands down.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what sets these suggested rests into a category of cost that is relevant versus say the Sure Loc rhythm? I'm guessing the adjustability being more fine detail? And to that point, once it's set up you pretty much don't fool with it again unless you change arrow diameter or something right?

·
Slingin' Arrows
1,237 Posts
You have adjustability, reliability, and affordability. Pick two. Being a "set it and forget it" kinda person, I don't worry about the micro adjust much.
For an 11 year old, are you going to worry so much about tuning that micro adjust is necessary? Probably not. I don't even worry about it myself.
For affordable blade rests, I like the Pine Ridge. I've seen the Mybo blade at the range and checked it out. Also not bad. I would go with one of those in your situation.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feel like I would trend toward set it and forget it myself - I certainly have never messed with either of mine after tuning. I guess I'm wondering what I don't know - since I've never been into shooting target archery and that's the direction she is heading or presently in rather, does the target archer benefit in some way from being able to micro adjust? I mean after tuning is done, is there a reason to have that for future adjustments or is there even a reason to adjust "on the fly" in that world?

·
Registered
380 Posts
My vote is for the Spot Hoggs. I am still shooting that style but they are called Golden Premier...the predecessor to the Spot Hoggs but same rest. And I too like the micro adjust knobs for adjustment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts