Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want peoples opinion on whether or not they would shoot this 8 point. I live in central nc right on the outskirts of a small town on 4 acres, neighbor does hunt but not much. I really am considering letting my 14 year old son shoot this buck but I am stuck between letting him shoot it now or next year and hopefully he is bigger if he makes it.
Plant Tree Fawn Adaptation Terrestrial animal

Elk Deer Organism Plant Black-and-white

Plant Tree Fawn Adaptation Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
Reign 6, Reckoning 35, Hamskea, HHA, MBG, Tight Spot, Illumapin, Shrewd, Stan, Carter
599 Posts
He'd be a fine deer to take now. Let'em grow has never crossed my mind as I attempt to notch tags. It's all about opportunity....give me that and I'll likely release a arrow to end my season. Keep in mind it's one tag here and maybe a special tag if chosen in a draw...and those tags are 4-5 hour drive from the casa. It's all good if you wanna take the chance at him next year....if he's alive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He'd be a fine deer to take now. Let'em grow has never crossed my mind as I attempt to notch tags. It's all about opportunity....give me that and I'll likely release a arrow to end my season. Keep in mind it's one tag here and maybe a special tag if chosen in a draw...and those tags are 4-5 hour drive from the casa. It's all good if you wanna take the chance at him next year....if he's alive.
Yea I grew up in upstate NY and hunted all my life with one buck tag and if you were really lucky you got picked for a doe tag so I understand where you are coming from. In nc they give you a crazy amount of tags for the season. I'm really just stuck between my son shooting him this year or letting him go another year I change my mind weekly haha. When it's all said and done when he walks out and he has an opportunity to let one fly he will.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Yea I grew up in upstate NY and hunted all my life with one buck tag and if you were really lucky you got picked for a doe tag so I understand where you are coming from. In nc they give you a crazy amount of tags for the season. I'm really just stuck between my son shooting him this year or letting him go another year I change my mind weekly haha. When it's all said and done when he walks out and he has an opportunity to let one fly he will.
Same for me growing up in Oregon. One buck tag and maybe get drawn for a doe tag. Now in Georgia I can shoot 10 does and 2 bucks a year. My problem is that all the neighbors rifle hunt, so if I get a opportunity at a decent buck before rifle season I'd better take it.

·
Registered
Your game camera and sticks
2,791 Posts
A lot more to it than "just a deer" but thank you for commenting. The decision is definitely his but he is just like me and goes back and forth if he wants to or wait im sure when he walks out and he has a shot he will take it
No man, it really is just a deer. There will always be a bigger better one based on antler inches but that one could be yours. If it will be an awesome memory for you and your kid then shoot the silly thing and enjoy the time together. No offense but its not that great of a buck, so what exactly are you waiting for next year a real Rompala outta it?

1 - 20 of 89 Posts