Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been playing around with arrow weights and spines etc.

The bow is a Diamond Marquis 61lbs 29" DL. I have gone from the .400 spine 27.5" arrow with 100gr broadhead setup to a .340 spine arrow, I am trying to increase arrow weight and FOC. I really believe now that accuaracy and quietness are the really important factor with speed being a little lower in the list of requirements for myself

So the arrow I have made up is a .340 spine 30" long Beman hunter with 3 AAE 4" plastifletches and a lumenok, I have used a muzzy 50gr insert and battledrum wrap to give a total arrow weight of 488gr with a 100gr broadhead. I am considering going to a 125gr broadhead as when I papertuned I did with a 100gr field point and 125gr field point and it never altered the tear in the paper.

I am considering the 125gr Magnum Striker as it will clear the shelf and having a 1.5" cut should leave good blood trails if I hit the spot. Is there any reason that the above setup would be not suitable, I calculated KE at around 67ft/lbs with an arrow speed of roughly 240fps. I dont shoot past 40 yards at game so long distance accuracy was not a key factor but good accuracy upto that distance is important. Total arrow weight would be 513gr give or take with the magnum striker.

What do you think (Pro's Vs Con's).:pukey:

·
Team #12 - 2009 Winners!!
10,149 Posts
quiet and heavy, sounds like your going to have an AWESOME set-up!

I would go with the Striker Mag's, I used them this year, and they are just plain awesome, none of the deer went very far and they make an awesome hole!

Good luck with your set-up, you are going to have a good one:darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quiet and heavy, sounds like your going to have an AWESOME set-up!

I would go with the Striker Mag's, I used them this year, and they are just plain awesome, none of the deer went very far and they make an awesome hole!

Good luck with your set-up, you are going to have a good one:darkbeer:
How did you find broadhead tuning the magnums and on the animals you took did the broadhead stay intact and hold up, with the magnum being 1.5" how did they penetrate.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,335 Posts
The magnums fly just as well as the regular strikers for me, but I have never shot them out of my 60lb bow. I was using 460gr arrows with it, but have gone back to the Maxima Hunters at 420gr with it. If you're only shooting out to 40 yards, then you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could use a regular nock and keep the weight at about 490-495gr. I tried the 488gr arrow and against the 410gr arrow I was getting 3-4" of penetration more with the heavier arrow every shot.

It will be intresting hitting a big hog with that arrow/bow setup. If I find there to slow I'll use them with the 82nd and stiffen the spine by ruducing the length.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts