Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you guys that have owned vacuum sealers (FoodSaver or others), I would like to hear your feedback on the pros/cons of the various models. Which are better? Which models should I definitely NOT buy?

If you didn't like a particular feature or model please tell me why.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

·
Registered
702 Posts
I own one of the food saver models. Not sure which one but it was in the middle of their line. I absolutly love them. I can't imagine cleaning game with out one now. I would recommend that you get one that has a manual seal that allows you to seal anytime during the vacuum process. That was if blood starts to be sucked up you can stop it before it sucks it into the pump.

The meat stays good for a very long time when you have a good seal on the bag. The only problem I have found is that you need to be carefull when handling the bags in the freezer. you can tear a bag on the grates of the freezer and never know it til you get that bag out to eat. You will have some freezer burn then. Other than that, they are great.
Dan

·
Registered
161 Posts
Vac Seal

I also have one in the mid price range ( $140) with the manual and extended seal. The max air removable really extends freezer time.
My biggest complaint is that with some veggies, fresh meat and fish you have to freeze before pkg so as to get the proper seal.
If you manually seal and stop it before the fluids get to the seal strip you will not get as much air out as if you had extended seal.
The mfg's recommendation is to freeze before pkg or put paper towels in the bag with the items so as to absorb the fluid.
Anyway, it's a little extra hassle but when done right there is a noticable difference in flavor.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I got the best Food Saver that Cabela's sells. It's been great. Fish packaging is the biggest difference, it about triples the time they tast fresh. We do elk and deer with them also. We used to use Zip lock bags but the freezer life is much longer with the vaccum process. There are a lot of other used also. I vaccum seal our elk meat sacks to keep them from getting water soaked in the pack and to reduce the packing space by about half. Maps that I plan to use only in an emergency get vaccum packed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.