Archery Talk Forum banner

opinions on vanes for my field arrows

830 15
Looking for some new vanes for my ultralite pro 400s. What do you guys think? I have been using miniblazers, but I'm finally done with the 100 pack I bought. I was looking for some light low profile vanes. Was gonna use the same arrows for fita.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
429 Posts
Flex Fletch 1.87" Shield cut. Clean base of vane really good. These are tough vanes and fly great. I have been using them for many years.
Good luck,
Tracy

· Registered
507 Posts
Flex Fletch 1.87" Shield cut. Clean base of vane really good. These are tough vanes and fly great. I have been using them for many years.
Good luck,
Tracy
Awesome vane. I use Denatured Alcahol to clean the bases on mine. Flex fletch uses a relasing agent on the base of the vane so you have to make sure and clean it good or they won't stick. But they are like little clone troopers. They will all stand up straight on the base and will all weigh within +- .1 grain-with most of them weighing the exact same (only 2 or 3 out of a pack of 39 will weigh differently). I am not sponsered by them or anything like that, fyi.

Mason

· Registered
429 Posts
Denatured alcohol works. I like to use acetone but it smells in the house and you should use gloves.
I use loctite gel glue and usually use an arrow wrap for ease of refletching. Also when you have 4 archers on the same bail it's alot easier to call arrows.

· Registered
8,662 Posts
I like vanetec and AAE the AAE with max bond won't come off great set up.

· Registered
6,985 Posts
If your looking for a light low profile vane. Take a look at the 1.8" 3-d Duravane

· Registered
457 Posts
stick with Bohning. definatly go with the X-Vane. u won't be disappointed.

· Registered
2,583 Posts
X2! If you use the Bohning Quantum XT to glue them with, you won't have to treat your arrows or fletching with anything, like Denatured alchohol. The stuff works great.
If your looking for a light low profile vane. Take a look at the 1.8" 3-d Duravane

· Registered
6,681 Posts
Flex Fletch 187 shield cuts gets my vote as well. Low profile and one of the most durable vanes you're going to find on the market. Target pass-thrus do not rip or wrinkle the vanes all up and you when you do get a tear from another arrow hitting the vane all you need to do is cut a "v" notch at the tear site and the arrow will continue to group with the rest.

The Flex Fletch can be much easier to adhere now as well without all the cleaning/prep if you pick up Flex Fletch's Zing primer. No cleaning of the vane's base is needed. Don't even need to clean the arrow shaft. Just brush the Zing primer on the base of the vane, dries in a couple seconds, apply bead of Flex Fletch's fast set glue, stick to arrow. I like to leave the vane in the clamp for about a minute, but not necessary, and then onto the next vane. FF's fast set glue doesn't turn white either from what I've observed. Glued up some of my son's indoor arrows with FF vanes back in Dec and they are still on solid after using the Zing primer...can't even pull them off.

>>------>

· Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Flex Fletch 187 shield cuts gets my vote as well. Low profile and one of the most durable vanes you're going to find on the market. Target pass-thrus do not rip or wrinkle the vanes all up and you when you do get a tear from another arrow hitting the vane all you need to do is cut a "v" notch at the tear site and the arrow will continue to group with the rest.

The Flex Fletch can be much easier to adhere now as well without all the cleaning/prep if you pick up Flex Fletch's Zing primer. No cleaning of the vane's base is needed. Don't even need to clean the arrow shaft. Just brush the Zing primer on the base of the vane, dries in a couple seconds, apply bead of Flex Fletch's fast set glue, stick to arrow. I like to leave the vane in the clamp for about a minute, but not necessary, and then onto the next vane. FF's fast set glue doesn't turn white either from what I've observed. Glued up some of my son's indoor arrows with FF vanes back in Dec and they are still on solid after using the Zing primer...can't even pull them off.

>>------>
Thank you sir, thats what I am going to try!

Much appreciated!

· Registered
1,191 Posts
I switched from the 187 Flex Fletch last year to the AAE Plastifletch Max 2". I love em. They're still very durable and work great. I was able to get FF to stick pretty well, with cleaning of shafts and vanes, but these adehere even better. Take a look at them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.