Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddies son (13) would like to bow hunt this year. He is a very good shot at 10, 15, and 20 yards (all groups less then 3"). However, I am a concerned about the amount of KE... He is pulling around 43~44 lbs. with 346 gr @ 187fps is only about 26 lbs. and change. I purchased him some 85 gr sonics which, IMO will give him the best chance. He would/will be hunting out of a 16' two man ladder stand. Let him hunt or make him wait until he can pull more poundage? You thoughts?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think you maybe need to check your state law on poundage for your bow most states have a minimum, and I beleive most states it is at least 55 pounds. I think you are on the right track I don't think there will be enough energy with 40-45 lbs to the deal. IMO

·
Registered
475 Posts
he would be legal in ohio, but with less than 30 lbs of KE thats a tough one. I would say go for it, but for sure not over 15 yards. i might even limit him to 10. He would still get the thrill of the hunt!
PS it is 40 pounds of draw in ohio

·
Get out and shoot!
3,798 Posts
He's leagal by Wisconsin's law. I think he'll be fine as long as he hits ribs.
I'd set a 20yd limit for him to.
Wish him luck !

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the posts... Anyone have other thoughts?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Make sure to atleast use a cut on contact broadhead.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Pa.'s limit is 35#.I'd suggest to him to use a heavier arrow,a cut-on-contact broadhead and keep his shots @ 20yds and under.Let him hunt.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Let him hunt.

If the poundage bothers you, crank it to 45 lbs. If he is pulling 43-44 now and shoots the bow accurately, he won't have a problem with 45. I believe 45 would meet just about every state's minimum, for those that have a minimum.

You don't want to know how many deer have been killed with 40 to 45 lb. longbows and recurves. In this day and age, we tend to put way too much focus on bow draw weight. I think many current hunters would be much better off dropping their draw weight down.

The key will be the hunter being consistently accurate and having the knowledge to make a good killing shot. The deer will never know if he is killed by a 45lb. bow versus a 65lb. bow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts