Archery Talk Forum banner

Opinions Please

401 8
For the last year, I have been shooting well enough to compete in the state tourneys, with some chance of placing. For some reason, the last month, my shooting has fallen apart, and I am shooting some of the worst scores I have ever recorded. No one can tell me why, or what I am doing wrong.

My question is this... Since I am not confident that I will shoot that well at the state shoot this weekend, I am wondering if I should even bother going and spending the money...
This would be my first ever state shoot.

Opinions?

Thanks
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
324 Posts
go if not to expensive, i started competing this year and if you intend to compete you must also factor in the pressure of these competitions. i am by no means an expert on this but have found that it is different than practice. just my 2 cents

· Registered
2,319 Posts
There is only one wat to overcome your slip in confidence, that is to face it and over come. You obviously have the ability. Maybe have someone watch you and give you a pointer. Even if it is not any real help it might help with the way you think. Kinda like on Tin Cup when he gets the shanks and his caddie tells him to put his change in his other pocket. Hope it helps.

· Resident Philosopher
11,705 Posts
with or without confidence ....the experience of shooting on a big line is priceless...adds a whole new set of pressures the first time you do it.
even if you shoot badly you will know what to expect when you are shooting well !!

· Registered
1,836 Posts
I can tell you what your issue is.
You, like myself try too hard. Quit trying to be too careful and just shoot the shot.

· Registered
51 Posts
Go

Regardless of expense, distance or any other excuse. If you want to get better and compete, you need to go. Your confidence will not get better by itself. Combining effective practice with the experience of getting up on that line will make you a better shooter. The mind game of the tournament can not be duplicated in practice. I find that once the scoring starts my game changes. I become more focused, then the pressure starts to build and I either hold it together or fall apart. This is what separates us average guys from the really good guys. I have been able to pound out X after X in practice, but my average league score is only 296 33X, only once have a I ever shot a 300. The last Tournament I shot, day one 299 40X, then started day two with inside out Xs during the warm up ends, but once the scoring started I dropped nine points (five were from lack of focus and shanking one out of the four ring). The experience of the tournament is invaluable, I learn something new every time. One thing I have been able to overcome is that fear of being the last one on the line, I kind of like it now. I tend to shoot a X if I am up there all alone with everyone watching. Go to the tournament, it will help you decide if you want to compete or not.

· Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone. I admit to becoming very frustrated and depressed, as nothing is making sense. Where I was always consistent, now I shoot really well one day, and poor for the next 3. I just can't seem to pull it together.

The shoots are being held about 350 miles from here, so it is not close. To add to it, in order to compete in the state shoot you have to be a NFAA member, so I have that expense on top of it.

I very much appreciate the great advice you guys have given, and believe I will go.

If nothing else, I guess I can provide entertainment for the rest of the shooters, if I continue to shoot like I have been.

· Registered
5,479 Posts
Go and don't worry about where you finish. You'll be happy you did!

Your situation sounds like mine, I'm a mid fifties shooter in x count and three weeks ago I fell apart. Couldn't do anything right and shot a 280 something with like 30 xs. I've never shot like that and it was very frustrating.

So I started blank bailing again on a daily basis, and worked on my form as best I could and last week shot a 54x and a 55x. So...Things came back around.

Stick with the equipment you have, check it over for everything you can think of from peep movement to a loose screw. Sometimes, even though you and your friends have looked at the bow, you miss something. Even if you don't find anything, at least you know its in good condition.

And then, start shooting up close with no target. Just work on form and release and things will come back. It sounds like you have the ability but have loss some confidence. And it seems with archers thats a HUGE thing to have. 99% of the time our problems lie between our ears.

Good luck and have fun at you state shoot! We've got the ND state shoot coming in a couple weeks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.