Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently getting back into traditional archery / bowhunting. Have a new 45# Martin Dream Catcher with a fast flight string on it. I have been experimenting with different arrows and have decided to go with carbon. I know all of this has been discussed here a thousand times, but I want to revisit the issue of arrow weight. My concerns are for hunting penetration and the affects of arrow weight on bow durability.

I have decided on either the 5575Gold Tip Traditional Hunter (shaft wt = 9.3 g/in) or the 4560 Carbon Express Terminator Hunter (shaft wt = 11.0 g/in). By my calculations (with the help of Jackson’s Archery Site) the Gold Tip would come in at around 430 g total counting a 125 g broadhead, and the Carbon Express would total out at 476 g. I am figuring for a 29.5 inch length arrow. I have read that the optimum arrow weight for a recurve is between 9 and 10 grains per pound which would put the optimum for my 45# bow between 405 and 450 grains. I am leaning towards the extra weight of the Carbon Express, but since I am deep in Gold Tip XT Hunters for my compound, I could use the extra nocks and inserts I have on hand. The GT’s also cost quite a bit less. Thanks for your inputs. --- Greg

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I have read that the optimum arrow weight for a recurve is between 9 and 10 grains per pound
I have heard 9gpp to 11gpp so your right in there.
I have shot both the CE Terminator 45/60s and now the GT Trads 5575s and both are great.
But I am shooting a [email protected] long bow.

I had to add 100g brass inserts and 125g BHs to get my GTs to fly good...
Those 5575s are fairly stiff and designed more so for compounds so you will need a lot of point weight for a 45# bow. I am talkin 250g to 300g+, maybe more.
If your entertaining the thought of using GTs then go with the 3555 for your weight bow.

Walmart sometime sells the good CEs for fairly cheap if you have the ability to reflect that is. (comes with vanes)
Thats how I got mine...
Good Luck!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Greg,

I have never tried GT because I simply did not want to put more variables into play.
When trying quite a few types of shafts I learned that cheap and cheap are not the same. When you have a carbon shaft within reasonable tolerances (my release and form have much more tolerances) look for the durability!

Shafts being expensive when purchasing them but turn out to outlast cheaper shafts are more economic in the long run. Til now I managed to wreck only one CE 60/75 after accidently shooting it into some steel junk when looking too close at the chronometer and my form. Al would have come back as noodles...
Hit a few arrows into rocks and you will see. I even blew some judo broadheads when shooting them accidently into a rock with a bright spark but the CE shaft is still in use.
Until mow nothing has survived my bow at clumsy impacts better than CE Terminator select.
Do not take that for a one and only truth. Simply my own experience.

P.S. more valuable shafts do not decay into splinters and needles when being crushed. At least what I have learned has kept me on carbon shafts.

Make your choice

·
Registered
367 Posts
5575 GT Traditionals

Traditionals are nice lookin' arrows. For a 45 lb bow it appears that your arrow selection is overspined though. But if they shoot alright then its not a problem. I shoot Easton Epics and I would have chose an Easton Epic 500 spine for that bow (Epics are priced very economically). I use the brass 100 gr inserts as well to get the weight up on carbon arrows. 9 grs per lb is fine for hunting.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I would agree with the above post.From my experience with carbons both of those arrows will be overspined unless you add a bunch of weight to the front.You could add a 100 grain brass insert that would put your arrow weight over 500 grains and will get you close on spine.I would think a 3555 gold tip would be closer in spine.

CB

·
Registered
651 Posts
5575 is too stiff for a 45# bow. It would be wise to try the 3555 first and add weight via the threaded brass weight adapters offered by Gold Tip. A good bareshaft tuning will confirm or refute my opinion. Check out the bow tuning page at www.bowmaker.net/

Good Luck.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys, thanks for the advice. You probably kept me form making the mistake of buying overspined arrows. I don’t doubt for a moment that you are giving the best advice, but the irony is that I was considering the GT 5575 and CE 4560 based upon their arrow selection charts. I have also noticed on this board that Easton’s charts call for heavier spines for their aluminum shafts than most people on this site would advise. The problem I see with dropping to the smaller sizes for the GT’s and CE’s is that they would be just too light for hunting without adding lots of weight. I am finding arrow selection for traditional more complicated than for compounds. I guess that’s because you can get by OK with an overspined arrow on a compound if you are using a mechanical release. I was leaning heavily towards carbon for my recurve, but all of the sudden I am thinking aluminum again to get the weaker spine while getting the weight I need. Not sure I want to fool with the complexity of adding weights for carbon. Thanks --- Greg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Try an arrow 500 spine, roughly 8 gpp. Shoot it full length. with a 125-145 grain point this will give you roughly a 400 grain arrow. Martin actually warranties their bows to much less then this. Stick with something aside from GT's. They are cheap, but woodies come more consistant. Beman shafts seem to be a very good arrow for very little money. And as always-tune the bow and use a damn sharp broadhead. These two factors affect penetration more than weight does.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts