Archery Talk Forum banner

Optimum Poundage for turkey IYO

497 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Meleagris1
What is the best poundage for your bow in your opinion? Do you like high low? I hear people say they don't want passthroughs why?

I like mine right at 60 lbs for turkey.... I like them with a fixed blade head and since turkey are hard birds I usually get the blade to stick 100% through the bird but still stay in him... This way he don't go to far. Actually I usually just put a nice hole in the neck instead.:wink:
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
17,332 Posts
In my opinion, the ideal turkey rig would be a silky smooth and have a slightly lower poundage than what I normally deerhunt with. I'd pick a 50-60# DXT... and all Black for my Double Bull blind. :thumbs_up

· Registered
763 Posts
I've always used my deer rig for turkey! 65# and I've had them stay in the bird and I have had them pass thru! To be honest I don't care which it does as long as the broadhead comes in contact with the kill zone at least once!:shade:

· Registered
938 Posts
i use my same bow for deer as i do for turkey. I shoot a mathews legacy 65# with grim reaper razortips. I hunt out of a H.S. ground blind but most of the time I just hunt on the ground without a blind. I've killed several birds with that set up. but its just really what your more comfortable with.

· Born To Hunt
6,149 Posts
Turkey

I have talked to a fellow that has shot ALOT of turkeys with a bow, he shoots a 65# bow and says the average passthrough is about 3 in ten. A turkey is tough and not solid on the ground like a deer, he more or less gives with the arrow like a boxer rolling with a punch. I have shot 3 with a 65# bow and have yet to have a passthrough, one with a Montec, 2 with a Rocky Mountain Snyper and, all died quick the farthest going 30 yards from the shot. I use the same set up I use for deer, hit them in the vitals and you will have no problem.

· Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree I've only seen one passthrough on about 12 turkey shot.... They are extremely tough birds though, in size and equvalence I bet they are much tougher than elk!

· Registered
14,406 Posts
I use the same weight for everything, deer turkey and elk. 68lbs.
I am very comfortable with this weight, and when going to turkeys it just allows me to use a bigger 3 blade 2" cut broadhead. Turkeys are alot tougher than people give them credit for. Another reason why I don't drop my draw weight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.