Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering where would be a good place to hunt elk/deer in Oregon spot and stalk! I am not from Oregon but I would love to try and harvest an elk or deer when I am up here for college...you dont have to tell me where your honey holes are but I would like to know where I can just shoot a Cow elk or something.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
where are you going to college?

there are lots of opportunities to chase elk/deer - it just depends on how much time you have, and how much hiking you want to do!

·
Banned
2,992 Posts
Check out Cameron Hanes' book, Backcountry Bowhunting. He talks a lot about hunting in oregon, since that is where he is from. I just finished the book, and I liked it. I have a new found respect for that guy, after reading it. You should find good info on where and how to hunt Oregon in it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
where are you going to college?

there are lots of opportunities to chase elk/deer - it just depends on how much time you have, and how much hiking you want to do!

I have no problem in walking far...I do it all the time in hawaii. I am going to school at Oregon state University.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I am not real familiar with the north as far as hunting spots go. But from Salem head west into the coastal mountains find logging roads (if it's open) to public access. This is were a ton of elk can be found! Deer too. Head east into the cascades, forest service land mostly we have a lot of opportunity. I know this is very vague. Post in the Oregon state forum you may got some more replies. If you want an elk it is going to be work, black tail are a little easier to come by IMO. Good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Oregon has OTC either sex elk tags in several areas. Lots of elk there, and lots of hunters. Check the Oregon DFW website for plenty if info and stats!

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have no problem in walking far...I do it all the time in hawaii. I am going to school at Oregon state University.

Since it's OS just come over to Prineville, I can try and put you on some elk.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
my two youngest sons are at U of O, but I don't mind helping you out anyway!:D

Since it's OS just come over to Prineville, I can try and put you on some elk.
oh wait, my soon-to-be daughter-in-law goes to OSU - can I come over there, too?:teeth:

·
Registered
531 Posts
my two youngest sons are at U of O, but I don't mind helping you out anyway!:D

oh wait, my soon-to-be daughter-in-law goes to OSU - can I come over there, too?:teeth:
So it will be a house divided.

Probably no need to drive clear over here though, I was into elk in your backyard more or less last season (Oakridge) just never could get a shot opportunity that I felt comfortable with. I could dig out the GPS with exact coord's if ya like.:teeth:

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
So it will be a house divided.

Probably no need to drive clear over here though, I was into elk in your backyard more or less last season (Oakridge) just never could get a shot opportunity that I felt comfortable with. I could dig out the GPS with exact coord's if ya like.:teeth:
Yeah - civil war will always be close to home for them

I'll be in touch for those gps coord's :D

(The elk on this side like to hide - and there's lots to hide in around here)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Anyone ever hunted the Umatilla national forest? Thinking about heading there but not really sure what to expect...
i did a couple years ago nice area, easy compared to the trask unit i have hunted all my life.

·
Registered
827 Posts
just pick up a couple of maps from local forest service and get out in the hills west or east of you and start looking there is alot of elk a little north of Oakridge. and it is pretty easy to find good sign and lots of elk. The hard part is getting the shot.

·
Registered
338 Posts
western oregon up next

I hunted the Umatilla National forest for 4 days and saw a decent 5 x 5 elk but couldn't get a shot off. Hunting western oregon next week and the going to ducks game as well. Should be fun. I have season tickets but can only go to a few games so if anyone is interested let me know (I'm always in need of good places to hunt since i'm new to the area and a new to bow hunting) Still lookin for my first kill with a bow. don't know much about hunting oregon yet.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Since your going to be in Corvallis it isn't far to good hunting. Lots of good blacktail and Roosevelt elk hunting in that area. Either head to the coast or up to the cascades either isn't far. A little further drive and you can be on the east side and a little more open country. If you want some videos of Roosevelt hunting get the Angry Spike videos they hunt mostly roosies also the last Lethal Release had some good Western Washington hunts which would be similar. Good luck and GO BEAVS!!!!

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
eagle caps near joseph is some BEAUTIFUL country always loved when we would take a trip to joseph for wrestling awesome drive and even better when your in town plus the joseph kids dont know how to wrestle lol just kidding

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
There are no deer or elk in Oregon. Go Ducks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts