Archery Talk Forum banner

Our Illinois Bucks

2153 Views 22 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  willie
We had a great weekend in Illinois. During our preseason scouting we had been seeing a couple of 160"+ bucks and a three 150"+ bucks in and around a small beanfield.

Opening night I saw around 40 deer. 10 of them were bucks.

Most of the deer came out on the same run and and got within 50 yards of my stand. I did have a 135" nine pointer and a 145" eight pointer within range but elected to pass them.

The next day we hung a stand within 25 yards of where the deer had entered the field. The 3 of us flipped a coin to see who had first choice of stands. My buddy, Sonny, won the flip and decided on that stand. My other buddy, Dean, elected to hunt the same field to. I ended up choosing a pop-up blind on a food plot. the wind was perfect for that spot.

I ended up seeing a doe, a fawn and 3 spikes....all with 15 yards! 10 minutes before dark I looked across the field and a nice buck was walking my way. When he got within 20 yards I stopped him with a mouth grunt and shot. If it wasn't for the lumenok I wouldn't have a clue where the arrow hit. I was sure I made a good hit but he ran into a 4 acre chest high weed field. We ended up finding him the next day. This was a couple of first for me. First deer from the ground and not using a gun and my first deer with a crossbow.

That same night Sonny also killed a buck that we had seen several times before season.

Sonny's bucked scored 142" and mine scored 154 3/8".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1,847 Posts
aqwsome story and amazing deer mna congrats to you and your buddy

· Registered
5,367 Posts
Congrats!!! What makes you shoot a xbow???? Just wondering.

· Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congrats!!! What makes you shoot a xbow???? Just wondering.

2 shoulder surgeries and a shoulder manipulation. I've tried to pull my X-Force back but can't.

I've read quotes by a few guys on AT that they would give up hunting before they would use a crossbow. They've got to be CRAZY!!!!!! I love deer hunting and I'll use any legal way to get in the woods.

Great way to kick off the season, congrats to both of you on two really nice bucks!

Which county in IL were u hunting?
White county

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.